• Show
Clear All
  • 3thumbs
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Northern Colorado
    • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

HF dovetail jig

Has anyone tried this jig? I know almost nothing about dovetail jigs, and I don't want to spend a lot on a big name jig just to try it out.
    DM
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

I have one, it takes a lot of setup but does the job, since I bought the Incra Jig I haven't used it.
    John Hunter

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

I have one .. have used it and it works ...

it was my first experience with dovetails and after reading several posts in various fora I was afraid I had wasted my money ... however ... IF you take your time in the set up AND are very precise with how you set the jig up .. .AND do several TEST CUTS to be sure you have it "right" ... it works very well ... it is just a bit on the finicky side for setup but for all I know ... that may be the case with other similar jigs ... I wasn't sorry for the $30 or so I spent on the jig once I got used to the setup ...
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

The HF dovetail jig is pretty much a clone of the PSI, MLCS, Rockler etc... half blind jig. I had one, decided I wasn't wanting to do half blind, but rather through dovetails and sold it to a coworker... He uses it a LOT and loves it...

Setup is a pain, but every DT jig I have used takes some setup... No worse than others. But I haven't tried the Incra, or Omnijig or anything like that yet...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jonmulzer
          • Dec 2007
          • Indianapolis, IN

I shudder when I even think about attempting to learn how to use a dovetail jig with Chinglish instructions.
          "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

the dope in the past has been to get a set of directions for MLCS, Porter Cable, Rockler or one of the other ones, understand those and it will become obvious how to use the cheaper but very similar HF unit. They're all very finicky as to setup.

For example, the MLCS dovetail jig instructions are available freely on their website.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-24-2009, 01:20 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• smorris
              • Apr 2003
              • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I have one and use it successfully. As stated, get the MCLS or PC setup instructions and it is much easier. The instructions that come with it are terrible.
              --
              Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

IIRC the PC jig takes a different sized template bushing. You could go to my site and read my thoughts on the PC unit. All of these do about the same thing and are worth it but as others have said set-up is critical for good results. You'll burn through a bit of scrap while getting it set and learning how it works. Then with each project you'll burn through more scrap err I mean off cuts.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

I never had any personal experience with this jig or similar ones. I was rather hesitant as the OPs have said they require a lot of finiky setup.

Last year I got a Leigh Super Jig and its awesome. Yes, you still need to understand how to use it but even my first set of trial DTs and finger joints came out 99% perfect first time. Then again its a lot more $$$ but I figured I didnt want to waste the time and aggravation trying to use one of the other jigs. Plus the fact that mine is the 18" version as I felt the standard 12" variety would be rather limiting.
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

I have done demos and classes on dovetail jig use with the Rockler jig, the PC jig, and the Leigh jig. In my experience the $ you spend directly translates into a headache reduction in using the jig. The Leigh jig was by far the best experience, and the PC was significantly better than the Rockler.

I'm going to agree with the posts though, you can certainly make dovetails with the Rockler jig (HF being a slightly harder to use version of the Rockler jig). It's a pain to setup, and I would recommend NOT CHANGING THE SETUP. Once you are set for say 1/2" stock, always use it that way, and you'll be less upset with it over time. You'll still need to test the setup and make some fine adjustments over time though.

Some people I know have said it was easier to learn to cut them by hand than it is to learn how to use these inexpensive jigs.
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Roloff
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2009

Anybody know where to get instructions and accessories for an old Rockwell dovetail jig? It's still in good shape. I understand it became the Porter Cable jig in its next iteration. Now they're bringing back the Rockwell name but I don't think they're going to make a new Rockwell version of the jig.

Comment

Working...