• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robs291
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008
    • NJ

Starting from scratch...need advice!

I have several projects I would like to do but need more than my circular saw and jig saw. I am looking to buy a small/folding table saw and 12" compound miter saw. I have very limited space in my basement. I was thinking about purchasing Ryobi BTS21 folding table saw and Rigid 12" dual compound miter saw with laser on a folding stand as well. The prices I saw seem reasonable and reviews OK but I am unsure what to look for. I am willing to spend more for quality tools as I would like a good starting point. Any advice or suggestions as to what to buy/look for would be much appreciated.
  • Bigbit
    Established Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Southern California
    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by robs291
    I have several projects I would like to do but need more than my circular saw and jig saw. I am looking to buy a small/folding table saw and 12" compound miter saw. I have very limited space in my basement. I was thinking about purchasing Ryobi BTS21 folding table saw and Rigid 12" dual compound miter saw with laser on a folding stand as well. The prices I saw seem reasonable and reviews OK but I am unsure what to look for. I am willing to spend more for quality tools as I would like a good starting point. Any advice or suggestions as to what to buy/look for would be much appreciated.
    robs291: Approximately where are you located? I have a barely-used BTS21 that I would sell for a reasonable price. I am located in the suburbs of Los Angeles.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Welcome Rob.

First, new posts are often delayed a tad for spam prevention. After that it will be automatic and in real time. Please bear with us on this and we appreciate you choosing to be with us.

I have the BT3000. I am not sure about the BT21. I think several have it and do well with it. The saw like the BT3000/3100 is only sold at Sears, and it comes on a folding stand.

Others can give more advice on this and on the miter saw.

Again, welcome!
      Last edited by leehljp; 12-31-2008, 08:40 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

those of us who frequent this site are generally mroe than casual users. my first thought was to tell you to buy better tools but that is not necessarily good advise. The Ryobi is OK quality but the inexpenisve lines, well, they are that, small, less powerful and lacking features and flexibility. Sometimes working with full size professional tools you get a wonderful sense of ease and power and being in control that make woodworking so wonderfull. OTOH, you can get a sense of creativity and accomplishment with much less expensive tools as well. So the answer really comes down to how far do you expect to go and how much money and space do you have? (and how big are your projects)

if you space is small then what you describe is probably going to work for you. If you are really serious and have more money there are better table saws, the miter saw will do for now.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• robs291
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2008
          • NJ

Thanks for the replies so far.

Hank, I have seen that the BT3000/3100 gets good reviews here, buthas that model been replaced? I looked on the Sears and Ryobi websites for it and can't find it.

Bigbit, I am in NJ so unfortunately too far away.

Lchien, I am looking for decent tools to get started with as I have several projects to do (radiator covers, wine cellar and racks, possibly outdoor shed) but have limited space in my basement. In the next few years I will have a garage to use but need decent tools to use for now. I don't mind spending more for quality tools and don't want to throw my money away on cheap tools or ones that I will grow out of quickly. I plan on being more than just a casual user as I have an older home and can find lots of things to do.

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

Welcome aboard. You're gonna like this site. Sears has the 21829 on sale. Today is the last day listed for the sale. It's very much like the BT3000. Check out the link http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...000P?adCell=A3

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Thanks for the replies so far.

Hank, I have seen that the BT3000/3100 gets good reviews here, buthas that model been replaced? I looked on the Sears and Ryobi websites for it and can't find it.

Bigbit, I am in NJ so unfortunately too far away.

Lchien, I am looking for decent tools to get started with as I have several projects to do (radiator covers, wine cellar and racks, possibly outdoor shed) but have limited space in my basement. In the next few years I will have a garage to use but need decent tools to use for now. I don't mind spending more for quality tools and don't want to throw my money away on cheap tools or ones that I will grow out of quickly. I plan on being more than just a casual user as I have an older home and can find lots of things to do.
              the BT3000/3100 has bee discontinued but lives on as the Sears Craftsman 21829 and now comes with router accessory and foldup portable base for a little bit more money than the original BT3100.

I've haven't used the BTS21 but used a similar sized saw before, the 21829 will be more flexible and smoother cutting I'm sure a better experience for some more money while still being relatively compact. Its a hobbiest saw good for weekend warriers and smaller home projects while not being an all-day/continuous use type saw. Medium-Light duty while still being very accurate.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I have both a BTS21 (For Sale) and a BT3100. The Craftsman 21829 is the same saw as the BT3100 with a few tack on changes, nothing major... The BT3100 is far and away a better saw. The BTS21 is fine for what it is, but it is very limited in capacity, and while I really didn't believe it, there is a HUGE difference in cut quality between the direct drive of the BTS21, and the belt drive on the BT3100 / 21829.

If you are going to be more than a casual user, or doing just home improvements, spend a little more and get he 21829. I was a bit ignorant of the differences in the saws when I bought my BTS21 and thought it was just a cosmetic redo of the BT3100, and I bought the wrong saw first. I now have the BT and love it...

One thing I will say about the BTS21, I left mine set up on the stand almost all the time, so the space saving attributes of a folding stand were a moot point. The BT I have is on a shop built mobile base. There are workbench designs where the bench raises up on casters and slides over the saw. This is probably a best bet scenario...
                Last edited by dbhost; 12-31-2008, 12:20 PM.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• robs291
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2008
                  • NJ

I will not be a heavy user of these saws as this will be more of a hobby for me (not quitting my day job!). That said, I am looking for more accuracy than heavy duty as I plan on using it for more furniture-type projects where smoothness and accuracy are more important than heavier use. I will check out the 21829. Any advice on what kind of blades to buy?

Thanks for the comments everyone; keep them coming! Any suggestions on a miter saw?

Comment

• JeffG78
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                    • BT3100

Don't forget to check out Craigslist in your area and the surrounding areas. I find BT3000s and BT3100s fairly often on CL. If you do a search for table saw blades, you will find everything you need to know. Welcome and good luck with your saw search!

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

First of all, welcome to BT3Central.

I understand about limited space. My previous shop measured 10'-2" x 19'-0" clear inside, and I bought a BT3100 in large part because it was the best combination I could find of a well-built, accurate saw and a physically small package. I really wanted (at the time) the Ridgid 3650, but the layout of the space provided no place I could position it and still be able to walk around it to get to the other end of the shop.

That said ... with a table saw, a physically smaller model can save you some floor space (see above), but the infeed/outfeed requirements will be exactly the same for any given workpiece. If you're planning to cut down half- or even quarter-sheets of plywood, it's really not going to make a heck of a lot of difference if the saw itself is 6" smaller in either dimension. Indeed, the larger the workpiece, the more the smaller table size will be a liability. If the higher cost is not an obstacle, I would not get anything with a table smaller than that of the BT3x00/21829.

For a miter saw, there are several good choices out there. I have a Delta 36-255L, now discontinued. Makita, Bosch, and DeWalt usually get high marks, although I am personally not too impressed with the last. I think you're correct to choose a 12" if you're not getting a slider (most of which are HUGE); OTOH, if you don't plan to do a lot of crown molding and similar work, a single-bevel model will cost less and work fine in a woodworking shop. Mine is a single-bevel and that's never been a hardship.

EDIT: Just to muddy the waters a bit more ... depending on the kind of projects you will be doing, a band saw might be a better choice than a table saw. If you're going to be building lots of big plywood boxes -- better known as cabinets -- then a table saw is the way to go, but if you won't be working with sheet goods a lot, consider a band saw. I use my cabinet saw a lot, but I use my band saw just as much. If I had to reduce my shop to only three tools that cut, I would have a band saw, a miter saw, and a dual-base router kit. With those three tools, you can build almost anything.
                      Last edited by LarryG; 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM.
                      Larry

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Any advice on what kind of blades to buy?
                        Any suggestions on a miter saw?
                        Check out this thread for blades http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=30732 .
                        I have the DeWalt DW706 miter saw. It's the only one I ever had, so can't compare it to anything else. But I absolutely love it. It holds settings very well, and it's very well built.

PS. Keep your blades clean, and you'll like 'em a lot more than if dirty. Also safer to use.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JeffG78
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by Ed62
                          Check out this thread for blades http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=30732 .
                          I have the DeWalt DW706 miter saw. It's the only one I ever had, so can't compare it to anything else. But I absolutely love it. It holds settings very well, and it's very well built.

PS. Keep your blades clean, and you'll like 'em a lot more than if dirty. Also safer to use.

Ed
                          I too have the DW706 and couldn't be happier with it. This past summer, I installed oak crown at my dad's house and used his single bevel DeWalt. I knew my double bevel was nice, but I didn't realize what a time saver it is. I was able to cut all the trim on his, but it took longer and I had to think more about the cuts before making them.

My DW706 needed just a bit of fine tuning when I bought it, but has held completely true ever since. I also have the DeWalt stand which IMHO is very well engineered and makes the CMS easier to use.

Comment

• ragswl4
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Winchester, Ca
                            • C-Man 22114

Any advice on what kind of blades to buy?
                            You could search this site for recommendations on saw blades. I have several Freud blades (the red ones) for ripping, crosscut and general purpose. They are all excellent IMO. There are some good Dewalt blades (yellow ones) and there are also some good choices from Holbren.com (Mr. Holbren is a member here.) Thin kerf blades are the way to go for table saws @ 1.5 hp and below. Welcome to the forum and don't be afraid to ask questions here. Lot of good, friendly and knowlegdeable folks hang around here. Best site on the web.
                            RAGS
                            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                            sigpic

Comment

• robs291
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2008
                              • NJ

Thanks for all the advice, please keep it coming!

I guess the DW706 is an older model and has been replaced with the 716? I have a few Dewalt tools and was thinking about the 716 but the Rigid R4121 for over $100 cheaper has me thinking. My brother in law has the Rigid and loves it, plus laser is included, not like on the Dewalt.

I am heading to Sears to look at the 21829 table saw. I hope it isn't too big to get down my basement stairs!

Comment

Working...