X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeanMc
    Handtools only
    • Jul 2008

New owner with Blade question

I just bought a very gently used craftsman 21829, and am relatively new to woodworking. My first project is going to be installing a snap lock floating cork floor in my living room and hallway. I currently have two questions, with many more to follow as this and other projects are tackled.

1-The saw came with the inlcuded blade, which I understand is the Chinese version of the Freud blade which came standard on the BT3K (24tooth?). Snaplock cork tiles have a cross section which is just under a 1/2 thick, and is comprised of a thin cork impact layer (bottom) fiberboard center (snap lock), and the final "finished" cork top. Knowing I can likely hide cuts under moulding at the edges, is there a blade which would be better suited for this material?

2-Is there a PDF owner's manual for the 21829 anywhere on the net someone can point me too? This is the only piece of kit the original owner could not readily locate.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

On the proper blade question, someone with more experience might differ with this opinion, I could use correction if I am wrong. BUT, I would think a fine tooth blade, with a thin kerf would probably be best.

Mind you, the concept of cutting cork on a table saw never occoured to me, so I am giving it a W.A.G. (Wild, (synonym for donkey), Guess...).

I would get with Sears on that owners manual. They *SHOULD* have it online, but likely have it hidden on their servers somehwere...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• SeanMc
      Handtools only
      • Jul 2008

Yeah, glue down cork tile is recommended with plain utility knife, but the fiberboard snaplock requires a saw.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

Whatever blade you use is going to be damaged by this type of work, as the fiberboard will wear on it. I have done a bunch of laminate installs, and I've found the best bet is to buy a cheap carbide blade (b&d for instance), and use it until it dies. The cut quality is usually very good, if there is tear out, it'll be a slight bit on the bottom, which is not a problem. The edges of these cuts will be hidden under base board anyway.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

older Sears versions of the Ryobi saw never came equipped with the Ryobi/Freud blade (which was a 36-tooth) in the past, I don't think the 21829 came with that blade or the eventual Ryobi-branded Chinese twin copy either. Probably just an inexpensive Craftsman blade comes with the 21829 from the factory.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dkerfoot
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Holland, Michigan
            • Craftsman 21829

The 21829 comes with a fairly decent Chinese made 36 tooth carbide thin kerf blade.

Not a bad starter blade IMO. Sounds like a perfect match to your project. After you are done you can go shopping for your "keeper" blade.
            Doug Kerfoot
            "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Welcome,
              Save your money and buy a quality combo blade or even a fine cross cut blade. Even if you wear it while on this current project you can get it resharpened for later woodworking projects.

Linky to an on-line BT3100 manual on this site.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Micham59
                Forum Newbie
                • Oct 2006
                • N.E. Ohio
                • bt3100

manual

Here is a web sight that you can get the manual for you saw in pdf. The address is www.managemyhome.com you will have to register on the sight to get it but it is free
                Last edited by Micham59; 07-01-2008, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• SeanMc
                  Handtools only
                  • Jul 2008

Thanks all.
                  Black Wallnut: That't the manual for the BT3000. As I understand, they are very similar, but I would prefer to have the manual for my particular saw.

Micham59: That worked, and it's the right manual. Thanks.

I have saved it, and can email it to anyone who wants it. It's 2.66MB

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                    • BT3100

Sean,

Just read your post and although this may be off subject slightly, after spending way more money on blades, (I have a 3100), I now always (mostly) use a Freud "Fusion" 10" blade for all my cutting,(both ripping and cross) including plywood.

The blade is just incredible, and extremely sharp, cut myself twice just putting it on the saw.

It seems to be fair traded everywhere for $99.00, but IMHO, it's well worth it, think of all the blades you won't have to pay for.

Also, if you're thinking of a dado stack, get a 6", not an eight. Fits better and you really don't need the extra 2".

Bruce
                    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• cwithboat
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                      • Craftsman Pro 21829

21829 manual

I just downloaded it, if you prefer I can email it to you
                      regards,
                      Charlie
                      A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                      Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...