• Show
Clear All
  • gychang
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Sacramento, California
    • none

brad nailer without a compressor.

I am a weekend handyman, looking for electrical brad nailer. My impression is most are staplers that have additional function.

Is there a recommendation for occasional light brad nailing work. So many on the magazines but would like to get a recommendation from actual users.

thanks,

gychang
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Dewalt is supposed to make the best battery powered brad nailer
    Paslode makes a nice gas powered brad nailer.

The corded staple/brad nailers are very limited in the length of brads they shoot, usually 5/8".
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

electrical staplers and probably brad nailers are hindered by the amount of energy that can dellivered at any given instant. Air nailers can deliver a great deal of impulse energy from the stored energy of the compressed air.
      As a result, most corded electrical nailers and staplers are very marginal and only work with the shortest nails and brads into soft woods.

The recommendation for light, ocassional brad nailing work without a compressor is a hammer.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-09-2008, 12:05 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I never tried an electric brad nailer, but have used an Arrow electric stapler. It uses a T-50 staple up to 9/16" long. For putting up ceiling tiles into SYP it works great. Light weight and no heavy air hose.

Comment

• gychang
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Sacramento, California
          • none

Originally posted by cabinetman
          I never tried an electric brad nailer, but have used an Arrow electric stapler. It uses a T-50 staple up to 9/16" long. For putting up ceiling tiles into SYP it works great. Light weight and no heavy air hose.
          can u recommend a particular model?, seems like there are several...

gychang

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I had a Senco (I think the AirFree 25). It shot up to 2-1/8" brads. Worked okay, but I wanted something that would shoot larger finish nails and ultimately sold the Senco and got a compressor with a Bostitch brad nailer and Bostitch finish nailer (both bought on special and it didn't end up costing that much).

I also got one of the Bostitch portable compressors. It is pretty quiet, is light weight, and charges quickly. Got it at Menards on special for about $125, and have been very happy with all the Bostitch stuff.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by gychang
              can u recommend a particular model?, seems like there are several...

gychang

My stapler is an Arrow ETF50P, and it only shoots staples. I ran across this Stanley stapler/brad nailer, that shoots both. Also found this brad nailer that shoots 1 1/4" brads.

Comment

• jhart
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Got this for a Christmas present http://www.amazon.com/JacPac-J-6901-.../dp/B000QF7I7W

Just used it with my finish nailer yesterday to put in a small amount of molding in one of my apartment on the 3rd floor. It was great not having to lug the pancake compressor from my home and up the stairs.
                If you have some nailers already, this might be the answer for you. A bit pricey, but I think will pay for itself, at least for me, in convenience.
                Joe
                "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I have to admit, I read this post title and had this image of someone holding a pneumatic brad nailer and blowing real hard into the air inlet while pressing the trigger...
                  online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                  while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                  "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• luteman
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Northern Michigan
                    • BT3100-1

I use a portable air tank when I need to shoot nails, brads or staples. I got my tank at the BORG. The brand is Husky and the cost was only 29.95 which was about a year ago.I fill it up from my pancake compressor.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by luteman
                      I use a portable air tank when I need to shoot nails, brads or staples. I got my tank at the BORG. The brand is Husky and the cost was only 29.95 which was about a year ago.I fill it up from my pancake compressor.
                      Yeah, I saw that when I was there the other day picking up the $4 ladder platforms and nearly picked one up. Here's the link to the air tank in case anyone is interested. It's $36 on the web site.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100000784

It's about 25 lbs compared to the 35 or so of the pancake compressors.
                      Last edited by Alex Franke; 01-07-2008, 11:28 AM.
                      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• ejs1097
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

I have an arrow brad nailer. shoots, 5/8, 3/4 and 1". had it before I had a compressor. Personally, I thought it stunk. 'usually' it could countersink brads in pine with alot of pressure at the head. hardwood and ply, forget about it. you'll have to sink the brads with a nail set. It's been hanging on my peg board untouched for years.
                        Eric
                        Be Kind Online

Comment

• jhart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

I looked at the portable units a while back also, but felt that 25 lbs. wasn't much more portable than the 35 lbs. for the pancake compressors. The JacPac is only a couple of lbs. and is truely portable. No electricity needed, but limited to the number of shots per cannister.
                          Joe
                          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I also use an air tank when I am not in my shop. I have a little 5 gallon tank that doesn't weigh much, I would estimate 10 lbs. I do not know how many nails it will shoot but it has always been enough. I use a male to male piece to fill it rapidly from my main tank. I have a little hose (the coils itself up variety) attached to the tank so it is a simple matter of charging it and then I am off to nailing.

The only electric I've tried was a Craftsman stapler that was worthless.

Jim

Comment

• gychang
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • Sacramento, California
                              • none

in summary, anyone know of any electrical nailer that works for a weekend DIYer?

gychang

Comment

Working...