• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • THyman
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Cutting 1/4" templates

I would like to get your advise on what and how to cut templates. I know that you use hardboard but what do you use to cut straight lines and rounded corners for router table and drill press inserts. Do you first drill holes in the corners and then use a jigsaw to connect the corners?

Thanks for all of your help.
    War Eagle!
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

If you already have an insert to use as a pattern, you can easily use it and guide bushings to make a perfect fit.

Check this thread
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Thom2
      If you already have an insert to use as a pattern, you can easily use it and guide bushings to make a perfect fit.

Check this thread
      I'd cut a slightly oversize template, double-stick tape it to the
      original insert and use a router in a table with a top bearing Flush trim bit.
      Then make all the rest from the template the same way.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Thom2
        • Jan 2003
        • Stevens, PA, USA.
        • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I'd cut a slightly oversize template, double-stick tape it to the
        original insert and use a router in a table with a top bearing Flush trim bit.
        Then make all the rest from the template the same way.
        I was forced to do it that way with my Jessem lift, and would probably do it that way in most cases, but I would be tempted to skip this step depending on the application/insert.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

I've done a little template work over the last year or so. The main thing I learned is that you should take your time making the template because you want it to be "just right". Once you do that, the things you make using the template can be readily dashed out, without much stress or strain.

No matter what you have available to cut with (jig saw, band saw, scroll saw, etc.) , plan to cut outside the intended size, then shape the template. Hardboard and MDF are very easy to shape using Sureform, files, and sandpaper. With a little care you can get the templates perfectly sized.

Now you can just carpet-tape the template to your stock, cut to size, then clean up with a bearing-guided bit on your router. Very easy and repeatable.

HTH,
          JR
          JR

Comment

• THyman
            Established Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Originally posted by Thom2

Check this thread
            So for an insert in a drill press table if I don't already have the insert made, I should make the insert first then use it as a template to cut the table?
            War Eagle!

Comment

• Thom2
              • Jan 2003
              • Stevens, PA, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by THyman
              So for an insert in a drill press table if I don't already have the insert made, I should make the insert first then use it as a template to cut the table?
              yes, you will need to make the insert first (or at least a pattern of the insert), but you will use the insert to MAKE THE TEMPLATE to route the opening ... NOT AS THE TEMPLATE to route the opening (just so we're clear on that)

Practice with some scrap to get a feel for the process and make sure it'll work for you. Don't use cheap masking tape, it will throw you a fit. Also, it may take more/less wraps on the 1/2" guide bushing. It all depends on how well your bit is centered, and the condition/wear of your bit.

This is the ONLY way that I will do inserts from now on tho'. The fit is PERFECT and the process is FAST once you catch on to it's nuances.

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

I do quite a lot of template work. I typically use MDF, but have in a pinch used 1/4 ply. I will usually use templates intended for flush trimming, and often use a spiral cutter when doing that trimming. Sharp inside corners are a failing of templates, you cannot make them. So you are still stuck with sharp chisels to clean up that last bit of material.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...