• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
    I just don't like solid carbide bits. Have had too many break. I think that they may be too brittle. As for steel bits, they just don't hold an edge very long, or seem to cut as clean.
    carbide is (1) expensive and (2) also brittle but (3) very hard/wear resistant. (that's wy we put up with 1 & 2)

About the only solid carbide bits I've ever seen for general sale are spiral bits which are probably very complex to make with an spiraled carbide insert, which is why they are only available as solid.

All other bits are available as HSS (high speed steel) or Steel with carbide insert tips. The ones with carbide insert tips are more expensive and last much, much longer, hence the only reasonable choice for anyone but a one-cut user who doesn't expect to use it beyond one short cut. In fact I don't see HSS bits for sale except as the very cheapest small sets or individual bits at the local hardware store.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      Jeff, What was the issue number/date of that FWW magazine with the router bit review?
      The only one I could find reference to was in 1999 so its a bit dated.
      June 2007, #191, Page 47.

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

First, I got a large (66 bits) cheap set. Real cheap - but it has a whole slew of all sorts of bits that let me experiment. Since then, as bits wear out, break etc - I replace them individually, with quality pieces. Works for me.

Comment

Working...