• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moscafj
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2006

router bit question

New to using the router....

Would you say it is better to purchase a bit when you need a specific one for a job...or purchase a set? It seems that sets are more cost efficient, but will I need the set?

I know I need a round over bit for a project I have lined up.

Question: do I just buy a round over bit...a set of round over bits...or would you recommend a different type of set... what has served you well?

Thanks!
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

The most common advice is to by a set of about 30 bits. Both MLCS an Holbren are highly recommended. As you find which bits you use the most, replace them with higher quality as the need arises. Whiteside is my personal choice.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

The advice is mixed on buying sets. However, I think sets of the various sizes of the most used bits is generally considered a good thing. A set of straight bits, and a set of roundovers as these two are amongst the most used, and worth saving on (verses buying them all seperately). I'd check out Holbren.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Pappy's advice is good. It's the policy I've been following, but am now rethinking it.

I now think it might sometimes be better to get small sets of a "type". In your case, that might be a set of four roundover bits of various sizes. This has the benefit of giving a better selection of roundovers you can use as time goes on. If you've bought a 30-piece set, with perhaps one roundover, you're now faced with buying specific roundovers when needed. At $20 a pop it can add up pretty quickly.

JR
        JR

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Difficult Question

When I started out I purchased a set of bits. (Several in fact, the price was soooo good) I find that I mostly used the straight bits, round over and edge shaping (like an Ogee bit). It depends alot on what you will be doing. I have scads of bits that I have never used, purchased mainly due to the price and my ignorance of router bits. Now that I have used my router for over a year I wish I could go back and do my bit purchasing over.

Here is what I have learned.

1. Whatever you will do mostly, buy good bits. Example: I make dovetail jointed jewely boxes. Bit the bullet and paid $100 for a Whiteside set that is made for my Incra Jig. I have never been sorry. Example 2: Making raised panel doors. Started with a cheaper set then after seeing the quality of the cuts. Bit the bullet again and paid $200 for 3 Whitside bits. The cuts are sooooo good that I don't even sand the doors where I routed.

2. As I intend to do this woodworking thing to the end of my days I no longer intend to purchase tools (that touch the wood) that will leave me dissapointed in the results.

3. As time goes by and the need is there, I expect that I will replace every el cheapo router bit with a quality tool, either Amana, Freud or Whiteside. (Whiteside got top honors in a FineWoodWorking test of straight bits and roundover bits). Another issue is the carbide tip on the bits. Whiteside uses only C4 (most inexpensive bits use C2) and it is very thick and can be re-sharpened many, many times.

4. If your router can use them, buy only 1/2" shank bits.

5. Alot depends on the type of wood that you will use as well. If its expensive hardwood, you can eat up a lot of wood with a low quality bit and in the end the more expensive, better quality bits will look like a bargain.

6. Low quality bits mean more sanding, usually by hand on curved cuts. YUK!

I suggest that you visit Holbren.com (owner is a forum member and gives us a discount) and see what he has to offer. My $.02.
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Some say buy only high-quality bits, as you need them. But since these are expensive, one's bit collection doesn't grow very quickly. A router is a wonderfully versatile tool but you cannot fully appreciate that versatility unless you have a good assortment of bits to show you the possibilities. A mid-sized set is a great way to get a bunch of profiles to play around with, typically for about the cost of two (or maybe only one) top-quality bits.

It's also nice to have some cheap bits on hand for prototyping, or when making non-critical cuts in materials like MDF or particleboard, which are notoriously hard on carbide.

So in general I concur with Pappy, but JR's and Rags' advice is worth pondering, too. When you do start to replace your budget bits with better ones, definitely look at the sets, because you generally get a pretty decent price break. (My own bit collection has been assembled more or less as Rags has done.)

One last thing to bear in mind: router bits are consumables, with a surprisingly short half-life. If you do much woodworking at all, you'll be replacing even your high-dollar bits sooner or later.
            Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JR
              Pappy's advice is good. It's the policy I've been following, but am now rethinking it.

I now think it might sometimes be better to get small sets of a "type". In your case, that might be a set of four roundover bits of various sizes. This has the benefit of giving a better selection of roundovers you can use as time goes on. If you've bought a 30-piece set, with perhaps one roundover, you're now faced with buying specific roundovers when needed. At $20 a pop it can add up pretty quickly.

JR
              With due respect to JR, the Thirty-piece set from MLCS has SIX (6) roundover bits. And FIVE (5) straight bits. It's like a roundover set and a straight bit set and another 19 assorted but commonly used bits.

My opinion: get the thirty-piece set from MLCS or an equivalent from maybe Holbren.
              It'll cost you maybe $100 which is $3.33 per bit. Otherwise, individual bits will cost you about $10 (simple straight bits) to $20 (for complex profiles like roundovers, with guide bearings) each, averaging $15. So you could have 7 or 8 bits buying them one at a time or 30 bits buying the set.
              With the set you now have a creative arsenal at hand, allowing you to try the effect of different roundovers or edge profiles, and Different grooving profiles, as well as flush trim bits for making patterns from templates. That you would otherwise just have to imagine and then order. And, no waiting for the bit to arrive.

Even if you use just half the bits in the set, you will be ahead financially ($100 vs. 15 x $15 or $225) as well as creatively. Off the subject, but if your router can take 1/2" shanks make sure you get that set, same price.

You can still buy specialty bits like rail/stiles, joinery, dovetails, etc later.

Just my 2 cents.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-08-2007, 01:00 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Opinions are typically split on the philosophies, but I think the best solution is to pick the best of both worlds...buy a small set of quality bits that you'll use often (ie: rabbet, straight, pattern, roundover, cove, chamfer, ogee, etc.), and buy specialty bits as you need them....molding, table edge, panel raisers, etc. You might want to buy a small dovetail set if you do alot of dovetails. I like to buy high quality for the bits that see the hardest use. You'll usually end up spending about the same amount as a large set but the quality will be higher where it counts most, and you'll use the bits you buy.

Infinity, Whiteside, and Freud all offer basic sets. Holbren has a nice deal on the Whiteside basic 7 pc set...~ $80 shipped using the BT310 code. You can add some of his individual bits to the order, or grab them from someplace like Woodcraft when they go on sale.

Buy 1\2" shank when possible if your router will accept them.
                Last edited by Knottscott; 11-29-2008, 07:25 AM.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I can't argue with Dustmight's recommendation of that 7pc Whiteside set. Most of my better bits are Whitesides, and that set contains seven profiles that every woodworker will use.

But the real reason I'm adding a second reply to this thread is ... at least three people have mentioned 1/2" shanks. I'll take what they said a step further: if your current router won't accept 1/2" shanks, make the purchase of a router that has a 1/2" collet a high priority. You really, really, really do NOT want to sink a lot of money into building a big collection of bits that have only 1/4" shanks.
                  Larry

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

I think that the 30 piece set from Brian Holbren is definitely the way to go. Holbren bits ranked MUCH better than MLCS in a recent FWW review. When you find that you need to replace bits go with the Whitesides. Though there are different opinions on full set v. individual bits, there is one trend you will see emerge . . . Holbren, Holbren, Holbren, Whiteside, Whiteside, Whiteside. The good thing is that Holbren seels both.

Edit: I do think the Whiteside set at around $10 per bit is a good price on solid profiles that are often used. Just note that you have little in the way of decorative profiles.
                    Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 05-20-2007, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                      I think that the 30 piece set from Brian Holbren is definitely the way to go. Holbren bits ranked MUCH better than MLCS in a recent FWW review. When you find that you need to replace bits go with the Whitesides. Though there are different opinions on full set v. individual bits, there is one trend you will see emerge . . . Holbren, Holbren, Holbren, Whiteside, Whiteside, Whiteside. The good thing is that Holbren seels both.

Edit: I do think the Whiteside set at around $10 per bit is a good price on solid profiles that are often used. Just note that you have little in the way of decorative profiles.
                      Jeff, What was the issue number/date of that FWW magazine with the router bit review?
                      The only one I could find reference to was in 1999 so its a bit dated.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I'll offer my .02 cents. I would guess money wise testing your needs with a "set" of some sorts is a wise idea. At least you can experience some profiles you wouldn't ordinarily have if you bought singles. I have some bits that came in sets that I have never used.

I would stay away from solid carbide bits and steel bits. Only try to buy carbide tipped bits. You will find with use they will get dull and gummed up. They can be sharpened and retipped if necessary, I've touched up bits with a diamond file.

Comment

• Stormbringer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Floral Park, NY
                          • Bosch 4000

Can't beat this set from Blades N Bits for $47. Many of us scored this "damaged case" deal over the past couple years, myself included, and have it to be a great resource of profiles. No complaints from me at about $1.50 a bit .

Currently sold out but they'll be back.

Best,
                          Greg

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            I would stay away from solid carbide bits and steel bits. Only try to buy carbide tipped bits. You will find with use they will get dull and gummed up. They can be sharpened and retipped if necessary, I've touched up bits with a diamond file.

When your saying stay away from solid carbide or steel bits, are you saying stay away from spiral upcut and downcut bits or just whole sets of carbide/straight steel bits?
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                              When your saying stay away from solid carbide or steel bits, are you saying stay away from spiral upcut and downcut bits or just whole sets of carbide/straight steel bits?

I just don't like solid carbide bits. Have had too many break. I think that they may be too brittle. As for steel bits, they just don't hold an edge very long, or seem to cut as clean.

Comment

Working...