• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Question on planing rough lumber

I have a stack of lumber from the Lumber Liquidators woodworkers pack of a couple of years ago. I have run some of it through the Jointer and have a flat face a 90 deg edge. Some of the wood it is thicker on one side than the other and on some on end is thicker. I guess you would run the thicker end through first, but how do you handle the board that is thicker on one edge than the other? On some boards it is about 1/4" - 3/8" difference. Don't want to put the board through the wall of my shop. Simple answer would be run it through and take a little off at a time. Just want to make sure of what i am doing.

Tom
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Take it off a little at a time. If you want to see what is coming off, scribble with chalk on it and you will see the high spots come off first. Set the height of the planer to remove stock from the thick sides.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ChrisD
      • Dec 2004
      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Tom, I don't think you're missing anything. Creating two parallel faces on a board is exactly what the planer is designed to do.

The only risk that I can think of is if the angle at the thicker edge is so obtuse that the downward force of the rollers can cause the board to rock as it passes through. But you've already taken care of that by jointing it square.
      The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Thanks guys. Ran some pieces through the planer no problems ended up with some flat boards. One of them is questionable, may have to be cut shorter. Had a twist and thicker at one end and also tapered from side to side, might make some thing out of it.

Tom

Comment

• bthere
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Alpharetta, GA

If you have a piece that is really even or wedge shaped, you might consider getting it close to parallel by resawing it on a bandsaw, assuming you have access to one.

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

Originally posted by TB Roye
            I guess you would run the thicker end through firstTom
            depends on grain direction. it doesn't matter if you plane the thick part first or last as long as you are planing with the grain. Go against the grain and you'll get tearout.

I have occasions when I slide a board 80% of the way through without even hitting the feed rollers.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

On some boards it is about 1/4" - 3/8" difference.
              Good catch, BTW! Depending on the board, I think it would be easy to miss 1/4" variation; like a hump in the middle of the board. At the very least, that can get your attention while planing. DAMHIKT.

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Tom, I have run a bunch of those ~2x2 skids through my jointer.
                And yes, may of them are wedge shaped.
                I do like you, I face joint one side (usually the best side) then set an adjoining side to 90 degrees.
                At that point i usually rip the remaining two sides as close as I can and depending upon usage I will use it like that or thickness plane the just ripped edges. In fact, I often just go for square using the rip on the TS same for the two sides so its square.

Those dang nail holes are usally rusted with the black rust and discolor a big section of the wood a real bummer.

And watch out I found a couple of nails (not the hard way fortunately).
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Loring.

I have a metal detector. I tried something last night while playing with the wood. I drilled the nail holes out and then cut some plugs from the end of the same piece and glued them in and then planed them down. Makes a usable piece of wood. You can turn that part so it doesn't show and have longer pieces. Most of the pieces I have are going to need the ends trimmed off because of splitting so cut the plugs before you trim the end. LOML wants a coffee type table for the reading area she is creating so it will give me a chance to use some of the this wood. I found that once it is planed and cleaned up it is some pretty nice looking wood. I also have some 2 to 6 inch wide planks from the same bunch of wood which I am going to glue up for a table top.

Tom
                  Last edited by TB Roye; 02-23-2007, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I drilled the nail holes out and then cut some plugs from the end of the same piece and glued them in and then planed them down.
                    Well, there's some clear thinkin'! Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

Working...