X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sawsall
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2004

If you had to cut a long miter how would you do it

I have a small challenge ahead of me and was wondering how the helpful people here would handle it.

I have to cut a miter in a countertop for my kitchen at a 45 degree angle. I have a few tools to choose from what would be my best bet? My FIL has a radial arm saw, but I haven't seen it so I don't know the make model, but what I'm most concerned with is the length that it can cut at. I have a circular saw, jigsaw, bt3100, dewalt scms. I've already got one pretty close to good, however for some reason in the middle it comes away a bit. Take a straight edge to both pieces and you can see maybe about 1/16" in the middle of one piece, the other piece perfectly straight. I used a 45 degree jig and a circular saw to cut those. I don't know how I got the goof in the middle Or if how I'm jigging is the actual issue. Any ideas/suggestions? The counter is a 26 inch deep post formed with a 4 inch backsplash and a 5/8 double rounded edge(similar to bullnose just a little longer) so this is a tad bit challenging since it is not flat. I am cutting it this weekend so any helpful hints would be appreciated.
    Dan
  • sawsall
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2004

How do you make a 36" miter on the table saw? and remember this is no small piece, it is a 10 foot section of post formed countertop.

Dan

Comment

• silverfox
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Richland Center WI, USA.
      • BT3100

First of all, Dan, make SURE the angle you want is EXACTLY 45 degrees. Of all those that I have cut I don't think there was EVER one where the walls were exactly square....especially on a ten foot projection. Second, you are smart to cut a few patterns like you did to test out the exact angle. I have used chip board or even heavy paper to cut patterns to be sure that I have the correct angle. If you have some 1/8" hardboard it would be a good material to use for the pattern, although a bit more expensive. But you want to be right when you cut the counter top...there are no second chances unless you cut them on the wide side. You need to make the pattern as long as the counter top and not just the actual corner...it will help you to see where and how much you need to scribe in the backsplash to get it even with the wall. Once you have established the correct angle of the cut and proved it with your patterns...use the patterns to mark the BACK of the countertop, clamp down your sawboard
      Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

and make the cut with your circular saw. I know this seems like a long drawn out procedure but it's the way I do things so it's the way I have to pass it on to you. It may take some time but you will KNOW you are right when you make the cut. Preparation is everything. Incidentally...when I make these cuts I hang the backsplash over the end of the table that I am sawing on. Then you can go right through it too. If your saw doesn't go all the way through to the top of the back splash...cut it the rest of the way through before you try to move the counter top from the table. HTH
      Mike

Comment

• Ryan F
        • Dec 2002
        • Lenexa, KS, USA.
        • 1975 Delta Unisaw / Accusquare Fence

In Silverfox's method you already have a accurate template. Trim close with a saw (jig if it was my choice) and then use a flush trim bit in the router.

DISCLAIMER (I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS SO I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!)
        Ryan Flaherty
        http://www.kcflahertys.com

Comment

• messmaker
          Veteran Member
          • May 2004
          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
          • Ridgid 2424

It cannot be done.I have never been able to get a cut like that dead on. Good luck
          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• silverfox
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

I like that, Ryan. It would give a nice clean butt joint and assure that there was no chip out. Having not had a router in the past and subsequently unfamiliar with them I never did that or thought of it. If one wanted to go to this extra step I think it would be a good one. I may just do what you suggest when it comes time to do the counter top on this remodel job. After all the work I do to assure that things are correct...what's one more step to assure a clean butt? Thanks for the suggestion.
            Mike

Comment

• Ryan F
              • Dec 2002
              • Lenexa, KS, USA.
              • 1975 Delta Unisaw / Accusquare Fence

quote:what's one more step to assure a clean butt?
              [:0]
              Ryan Flaherty
              http://www.kcflahertys.com

Comment

• jAngiel
                • Oct 2003
                • Ryobi BT3100

quote:Originally posted by silverfox

After all the work I do to assure that things are correct...what's one more step to assure a clean butt?
                With my kids, the wet wipe is always the final step...
                James

Comment

• jethro
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Newark, DE, USA.

A friend of mine is doing this with 50-year-old church pews. The method he used is similar to Mike's and Ryan's suggestions. He used a jig with a circular saw, cut just shy of the line, and sanded the rest, test-fitting frequently. They're turning out beautifully.

what's one more step to assure a clean butt?
                  Consider this ...

[:0]

--------------------
                  jethro.
                  <font size=\"1\">Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. -- <i>Heinlein</i>
                  http://www.jeffriegner.com</font id=\"size1\">

Comment

• sawsall
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Aug 2004

Well maybe I should get them custom made with the miters already in them. Problem is is that they cost about twice as much! Owell I've got most of my counter in and would only have to pay for the one run. I've already screwed about 4 feet of one of them up. Any idea if a radial arm saw could accomplish this or not?

Comment

• harrydurt
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Van Nuys, CA, USA.
                      • bt3000

...there are no second chances unless you cut them on the wide side. Mike
                      Although, if you leave the other end long - I assume it's a right angle and easier to cut - then you may have a couple of chances at the miter. First make the miter perfect, then trim the far end to the right length. It may give you some wiggle-room or a second chance.
                      - Richard

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

James,

quote:With my kids, the wet wipe is always the final step...
                        Aren't they awfully cold??[:0][:0]

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• silverfox
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

OK...OK.....I could have said butt or joint....seemingly, one is as bad as the other....[:0][B)][8]
                          Mike

Comment

• sscherin
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Kennewick, WA, USA.

The RAS might do the job but you might have to do the cut in 2 passes. My 12" RAS only has a 16" draw.
                            I've done 20" miters on the RAS buy cutting flipping and carefully lining up for the 2nd cut.
                            William's Law--
                            There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                            cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• monte
                              Forum Windbag
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                              • GI 50-185M

I don't think a radial arm saw will help you either. The arm isn't long enough to cut the 36". If it were me, I would go with Mike's solution.
                              Monte (another darksider)
                              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

Working...