X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Followup Poll to How Good Are You?

OK, so 50 of you answered "I start with a piece of paper..."

So, just how long did it take to get to that point?
    I took shop in school, went from there.
    31.82%
    Less than 1 year, but I'm a professional _________.
    2.27%
    1 year or less.
    29.55%
    2 years or less.
    4.55%
    3 years or less.
    6.82%
    4 years or less.
    3.41%
    5 years or less.
    4.55%
    6 to 10 years.
    1.14%
    More than 10 years.
    1.14%
    Not really there yet - I lied!
    14.77%

The poll is expired.

• RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Paul,

I venture to suggest: Anyone who doesn't start with a "plan" shouldn't be constructing anything
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• MilDoc

OK Rod. Guess I phrased it badly. I still need a plan to follow, 'tho I may attempt to change it (not always successfully).

So, let me re-phrase the question: Do you need a plan at all, or do you just draw your own, and how long did it take to get to that point?

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Oops, I missed the "rephrase" of the questions... so a complete rewrite of my post.

So, I still started with "Woodshop in High School". My shop teacher wouldn't let us work on individual projects and he used what he termed "projects should be products". So we built manufactured desks in the first semester and built a small house in the second.

Now, that's where the plans come into effect, because the first phase of the projects was to have a plan, and not just for the product, but for it's layout and each step of its tooling and final assembly. My drafting class did the design and the blueprints.

My Dad wasn't all that sophisticated, but he always had a pocket pad and pencil and whether it was plumbing or carpentry, he'd sketch it all out, dimension it, etc.

So, I started with that kind of great foundation and went from there. Having it down on paper is essential for me. Over the years I've added my own experience, and if remodeling, the measurements are taken down on paper with a sketch and it migrates to the computer. For stand-alone projects it starts on the computer. I don't do a sophisticated 3-D anything, I use Corel Draw because it is simular to working on the drawing board. But I can "fit" parts together to whatever degree of pricision I need and that goes a long way to makeing sure everything fits. It also gives me a visual concept of what lies before me and my experience tells me what needs to be changed for the sake of stability, stress, fit, assembly challenges, etc. For structural projects I keep a few referance books that are essential to the safety and longevity of the project. Similarly, I also take the time to read whatever I can find and/or post any questons in order to take advantage of the experienced experts that are so generous in their answers.

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 07-28-2006, 10:43 AM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Warren
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Anchorage, Ak
          • BT3000

Paul, I got it now.

I was smart enough to know I didn't need a plan when I started woodworking. I'm even smarter now. It took me all of maybe two projects to smarten up. Now I always have some sort of plan. If the project is simple a sketch will do. The more sophisticated the project, the more detailed the plan. I usually draw my own, but I have purchased plans as I'm not good at proportions when doing animals and such.

Most of my output is simple stuff, so simple plans. Even after 15 or 20 of one item I still refer to the plans/sketch. The older I get the more I refer to the plans as I go along.
          A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I often use a plan for inspiration. And or a source for critical dimensions in which I think the author spent some time and prototypes in finding the ideal size. But most often I make my own plans.

The last time I followed a plan verbatim it was bad. I made the router stand in a recent issue of Wood magazine and the wedge for the router base was too narrow by about 3/8" and the router did not position itself well on the provided base. I had to fix the completed item. And I made it perfectly to plan dimensions because I believed they had "perfected " the design.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jabe
              • Apr 2006
              • Hilo, Hawaii
              • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

30+ years ago when I 1st started woodworking, I would not have a plan but, after numerous mistakes I started to sketch/draw my projects on paper b4 fabrication. It took me 2 projects to realize this now I approach all my projects/jobs with a plan.
              To the guy who said if he cut a board 1/8" short, he would just make everything smaller, if you can live with that thats fine too. For myself that would be unacceptable, just my opinion. A craftsperson takes pride in their work and this attitude should be the goal all of us wood workers can attain. I don't mean to imply that I'm the greatest as I'm not. I just try hard and I am willing to learn new or old things to continue to improve my skills. That is why I view this forum to learn.

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

Everything I have ever built I sketched my own plans. I either look at a picture or object and get in my mind what I want and then sketch it on paper. I may be the only one who knows what it is but it works for me.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Tequila
                  • Aug 2004
                  • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I read a lot of plans and books on construction when I was young. My school didn't have a shop class, but I was in high school when I started to make things based off of my own plans. I don't think I've ever used a premade plan, at least not without some heavy modification.
                  -Joe

Comment

• Otter
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Cumming, GA, USA.
                    • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

Plans?

Are you sure that this is not a form for Boiler Techs? Darn, I forget things…….

On a lighter note, just call me a Russian (please forgive the Hunt for Red October reference), "I don’t take a dump without a plan."
                    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

I am the "less than 1 yar but I am a professional ______"

best answer I could give. I'm not a pro, but an amatuer artist of about 30 years. I love drawing, so it comes naturally that I look at something and figure a way to make it work.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• DUD
                        Royal Jester
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

I took shop in school, 1960, and My Father went to the shop Teacher after I built a bookcase and ruined 2 sheets of birch plywood. It was horrible.
                        My Dad was a cabinetmaker, and a carpenter, and He always used some type of plan. I helped Him after school and Saturdays, and He taught me a lot.

After He died, I puttered around with woodworking, got better, made some interesting stuff. After My accident in 1995, I went back to carving some. It wasn't until I found the gang here that I started working and getting better, both health and woodworking wise. I am a better person for having something to do with My hands and heart. That said, I alway use some kind of plan, I'm not a perfectionist, just want things to turn out right. Bill
                        5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• scorrpio
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

You always need a plan. However, as far as I can recall, I always designed my own plans. If someone asked me to make something and provided a detailed plan - that's fine.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • Ohio
                            • Ryobi bt3100-1

I find plans I like, and get the dimentions, and porportions, then I design my project from there, or I base it off an exhisting piece of furniture.
                            Alex

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

I'm in the make my own plans camp. I very rarely do anything without building it on paper (or more likely in the computer) first. I'm a pro-graphics programmer, and I'm well versed in the 3D computer modelling arts. (though I'm not a modeller or artist)
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...