Hate to bring this up but, jigsaw (freud vs bosch)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trouper
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Hate to bring this up but, jigsaw (freud vs bosch)

This will probably spark fights, but I need to make an informed decision. First, I don't have a jigsaw right now, and of course would like to have one. Everyone knows the Freud jigsaw is $70 right now at amazon. That's a great buy I would think. I am only an occasional user (right now I borrow one when I need it). But if I am going to buy one, I want to buy the right one. The Bosch is $150 so if that is the right one to get I will hold off. How much of a difference is there? What I notice with the ones I borrow (crapsman) is extreme vibration. I can wait for the Bosch if it is really superior. The amazon reviews are mixed on the Freud from great to garbage. The reviews for Bosch are excellent. Please help.
  • wreckwriter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • South Florida
    • BT3100-1

I bought a Bosch but can't really compare it to any other. Just based my choice on reviews I found online.
    http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I have a Bosch, and couldn't be happier. It's amazingly good. Cuts through 3/4" hardwoods better than my bandsaw (deflection-wise).
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

I am in the same boat. Well, I do have a jig saw and it's a decent one by Mikita but only 3.5 amps. Also it's only been used about 10 times if that much in the year I've had it but it is so slow. I was thinking that the 6.0 amp ones would be far better speed wise anyway. But back to your dilemma I too would be interested in hearing the replies although I think I know what they're gonna be.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

I have had my Bosh 1587AVS for several years and couldn't be happier. The only thing I can compare it to is my old B&D and it was like getting out of a Ford Pinto and getting behind the wheel of a Cadilac.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I just picked up the 1590. That thing is SMOOTH. First jigsaw I could hold up with only the trigger finger, depressing the trigger fully. Smooth. With the blade locks on the side, it tracks perfectly. I decided that I should purchase the only jig saw I would need or want for the next 10 years, rather than save $70-80.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• maxparot
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
              • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I've used a few jigsaws over the years. A B&D, a couple of Craftsman a Dewalt and the last 5 years or so a Bosch 1587 AVS. The Bosch is the best of the bunch. It exhibits the least vibration and seems to keep good control of the blade. I was able to try the tool at work before my purchasing one. I've also read a few comparison reviews of jigsaws and Bosch always gets top grades. The differences among the top contenders these days aren't that wide a gap but the prices of those few are so close that you might as well get the best.
              Opinions are like gas;
              I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Another Bosch vote here. I have used the heck out of the 1587AVS. For a couple of years my "shop" consisted of my CMS and jigsaw so I learned to do a lot with those tools. I still favor my Bosch jigsaw over my bandsaw. You know how they say cars run like a sewing machine? That is the perfect analogy for this thing. It is so smooth, vibration free and powerful. I have had a problem with the tool less screw top thing that I had to replace the plastic bushings. Not a big fan of the plastic in that part. The 1590 takes care of that problem, with a different tool less mechanism.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Concord, NC, USA.

Over the years I have tried several jigsaws before getting my first Bosch. I doubt I will ever try anything else. There is a reason Bosch is the standard against which all others are compared.
                  I have tried botht eh top strap and barrel grip, my current favorite, and both perform perfectly. You can spend far more on a jigsaw but I doubt you will get a better one than the Bosch.
                  I have reviews of both the top strap and barrel grip Bosch models at the link below with photos and details on the features, scroll down to Jig Saws.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html
                  Tom Hintz
                  NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• Doug Jones
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Indiana
                    • Delta 36-444

I have the Freud and wish it was a Bosch. But then again, jigsaws aren't my specialty tool. I have never been quite happy with the Freud.

Comment

• offthemark
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Germantown, TN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Well, let me be the voice of dissent. I have the Freud and have been very happy with it. I don’t use a jigsaw very much so I’m OK with a little less performance for a little less money. $80 saved on this tool could be applied to another tool that you use much more. Heck, you can buy a lower end scroll saw for the eighty bucks which can cover those situations when the jigsaw is a little too rough.

Just my $.02
                      Mark
                      --------
                      "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

• jAngiel
                        • Oct 2003
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I would have to agree with offthemark. I actually have the bosch and love it. The one I had before was a POS craftsman. I hated that thing with a passion. Before I got a small bandsaw I used the bosch to "resaw" a teak 4x4 into boards.

But if I needed one now, or if I didn't have the bosch already, I would jump on the freud for $70 in a heartbeat. Even if it isn't as good as a bosch as others claim, from what I read it is waaaayyyy better than any craftsman pos, or skil or b&d saw out there. Since I am not a daily user of my tools it would be more than sufficient for my needs, and I would get to keep $80 in my pocket for some other tool (or for food for my kids).

I am the type that likes to buy decent tools, not necessarily top of the line, but if I can get a good deal on a top of the line I will do it. I bought my bosch because I got it for $138 with a free random orbit sander. To me $70 for the freud jigsaw would be worth getting. I have never used a freud but have read lots of good reviews on it. To me it sounds like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, save the money and get a freud.
                        James

Comment

• frumper64
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Garland, Tx, USA.

I bought the Freud last year when Lowes was closing them out. It is a very good saw - very easy blade changes, good power and quite smooth to operate. This is going to sound strange, but I still prefer my HF Bosch clone, though. While the Freud has a dust collection port, I don't like dragging a shop-vac hose behind the jigsaw. As a result, it doesn't do much to keep the cutting line clear. My trusty HF saw has a great blower to keep the line clear and is also quite powerful and smooth. The only real downside to it is that the blade change takes a long thin screwdriver, unlike the Freud which has tool free blade changes.
                          Jim
                          64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• sweensdv
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • WI
                            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

With the price of the Bosch at $150 and the Freud at $70, is the Bosch 2+ times better than the Freud? I would have to say no, it isn't. That's not to say the Bosch isn't a very good jigsaw but it simply isn't 2+ times better.

I've never used the Bosch 1590 but I have used the Bosch 1587 which was replaced by the 1590 and I own the Freud. As far as cutting ability and vibration, I couldn't tell the difference between the Bosch and the Freud.

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

I would like to clarify my point, as there may or may not be some confusion. James, I never stated that the Bosch was BETTER than the Freud. In truth I wouldn't know, as I don't own a Freud, and have never used one. Perhaps others HAVE said that one is better than the other, but I certainly wouldn't want to make that claim without evidence.

What I did say is that I have a Bosch and I don't regret the purchase. If anyone has personal knowledge of a comparison of the 2, they are the most useful to this posting.

I don't want to upset anyone, but I do want to point this out because it seems to happen so often. That people often assume things when they arn't explicitly stated, which can lead to misunderstandings. So far I havn't really seen anyone post that has stated that the Freud isn't very good.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...