Hate to bring this up but, jigsaw (freud vs bosch)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trouper
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Hate to bring this up but, jigsaw (freud vs bosch)

This will probably spark fights, but I need to make an informed decision. First, I don't have a jigsaw right now, and of course would like to have one. Everyone knows the Freud jigsaw is $70 right now at amazon. That's a great buy I would think. I am only an occasional user (right now I borrow one when I need it). But if I am going to buy one, I want to buy the right one. The Bosch is $150 so if that is the right one to get I will hold off. How much of a difference is there? What I notice with the ones I borrow (crapsman) is extreme vibration. I can wait for the Bosch if it is really superior. The amazon reviews are mixed on the Freud from great to garbage. The reviews for Bosch are excellent. Please help.
  • wreckwriter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • South Florida
    • BT3100-1

I bought a Bosch but can't really compare it to any other. Just based my choice on reviews I found online.
    http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I have a Bosch, and couldn't be happier. It's amazingly good. Cuts through 3/4" hardwoods better than my bandsaw (deflection-wise).
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• lcm1947
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Austin, Texas
        • BT 3100-1

I am in the same boat. Well, I do have a jig saw and it's a decent one by Mikita but only 3.5 amps. Also it's only been used about 10 times if that much in the year I've had it but it is so slow. I was thinking that the 6.0 amp ones would be far better speed wise anyway. But back to your dilemma I too would be interested in hearing the replies although I think I know what they're gonna be.
        May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

I have had my Bosh 1587AVS for several years and couldn't be happier. The only thing I can compare it to is my old B&D and it was like getting out of a Ford Pinto and getting behind the wheel of a Cadilac.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• sacherjj
            Not Your Average Joe
            • Dec 2005
            • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I just picked up the 1590. That thing is SMOOTH. First jigsaw I could hold up with only the trigger finger, depressing the trigger fully. Smooth. With the blade locks on the side, it tracks perfectly. I decided that I should purchase the only jig saw I would need or want for the next 10 years, rather than save $70-80.
            Joe Sacher

Comment

• maxparot
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
              • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I've used a few jigsaws over the years. A B&D, a couple of Craftsman a Dewalt and the last 5 years or so a Bosch 1587 AVS. The Bosch is the best of the bunch. It exhibits the least vibration and seems to keep good control of the blade. I was able to try the tool at work before my purchasing one. I've also read a few comparison reviews of jigsaws and Bosch always gets top grades. The differences among the top contenders these days aren't that wide a gap but the prices of those few are so close that you might as well get the best.
              Opinions are like gas;
              I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Another Bosch vote here. I have used the heck out of the 1587AVS. For a couple of years my "shop" consisted of my CMS and jigsaw so I learned to do a lot with those tools. I still favor my Bosch jigsaw over my bandsaw. You know how they say cars run like a sewing machine? That is the perfect analogy for this thing. It is so smooth, vibration free and powerful. I have had a problem with the tool less screw top thing that I had to replace the plastic bushings. Not a big fan of the plastic in that part. The 1590 takes care of that problem, with a different tool less mechanism.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Concord, NC, USA.

Over the years I have tried several jigsaws before getting my first Bosch. I doubt I will ever try anything else. There is a reason Bosch is the standard against which all others are compared.
                  I have tried botht eh top strap and barrel grip, my current favorite, and both perform perfectly. You can spend far more on a jigsaw but I doubt you will get a better one than the Bosch.
                  I have reviews of both the top strap and barrel grip Bosch models at the link below with photos and details on the features, scroll down to Jig Saws.

Tom Hintz
                  NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• Doug Jones
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Indiana
                    • Delta 36-444

I have the Freud and wish it was a Bosch. But then again, jigsaws aren't my specialty tool. I have never been quite happy with the Freud.

Comment

• offthemark
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Germantown, TN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Well, let me be the voice of dissent. I have the Freud and have been very happy with it. I don’t use a jigsaw very much so I’m OK with a little less performance for a little less money. $80 saved on this tool could be applied to another tool that you use much more. Heck, you can buy a lower end scroll saw for the eighty bucks which can cover those situations when the jigsaw is a little too rough.

Just my $.02
                      Mark
                      --------
                      "There are no stupid questions - just stupid people"

Comment

• jAngiel
                        • Oct 2003
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I would have to agree with offthemark. I actually have the bosch and love it. The one I had before was a POS craftsman. I hated that thing with a passion. Before I got a small bandsaw I used the bosch to "resaw" a teak 4x4 into boards.

But if I needed one now, or if I didn't have the bosch already, I would jump on the freud for $70 in a heartbeat. Even if it isn't as good as a bosch as others claim, from what I read it is waaaayyyy better than any craftsman pos, or skil or b&d saw out there. Since I am not a daily user of my tools it would be more than sufficient for my needs, and I would get to keep $80 in my pocket for some other tool (or for food for my kids).

I am the type that likes to buy decent tools, not necessarily top of the line, but if I can get a good deal on a top of the line I will do it. I bought my bosch because I got it for $138 with a free random orbit sander. To me $70 for the freud jigsaw would be worth getting. I have never used a freud but have read lots of good reviews on it. To me it sounds like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, save the money and get a freud.
                        James

Comment

• frumper64
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Garland, Tx, USA.

I bought the Freud last year when Lowes was closing them out. It is a very good saw - very easy blade changes, good power and quite smooth to operate. This is going to sound strange, but I still prefer my HF Bosch clone, though. While the Freud has a dust collection port, I don't like dragging a shop-vac hose behind the jigsaw. As a result, it doesn't do much to keep the cutting line clear. My trusty HF saw has a great blower to keep the line clear and is also quite powerful and smooth. The only real downside to it is that the blade change takes a long thin screwdriver, unlike the Freud which has tool free blade changes.
                          Jim
                          64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• sweensdv
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • WI
                            • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

With the price of the Bosch at $150 and the Freud at $70, is the Bosch 2+ times better than the Freud? I would have to say no, it isn't. That's not to say the Bosch isn't a very good jigsaw but it simply isn't 2+ times better.

I've never used the Bosch 1590 but I have used the Bosch 1587 which was replaced by the 1590 and I own the Freud. As far as cutting ability and vibration, I couldn't tell the difference between the Bosch and the Freud.

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

I would like to clarify my point, as there may or may not be some confusion. James, I never stated that the Bosch was BETTER than the Freud. In truth I wouldn't know, as I don't own a Freud, and have never used one. Perhaps others HAVE said that one is better than the other, but I certainly wouldn't want to make that claim without evidence.

What I did say is that I have a Bosch and I don't regret the purchase. If anyone has personal knowledge of a comparison of the 2, they are the most useful to this posting.

I don't want to upset anyone, but I do want to point this out because it seems to happen so often. That people often assume things when they arn't explicitly stated, which can lead to misunderstandings. So far I havn't really seen anyone post that has stated that the Freud isn't very good.
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...