• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgworkman
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Colfax, WA, USA.

What's that you say... More clamps?

Well, it has certainly been a night of learning.

My current "project" is to build myself a router table top. "Why not buy one," you say? But, what would I learn from that?

So tonight, with my two pieces of 3/4" ply, set out to marry these two independant portions of lumber. "This is wonderful," I think to myself... "I am building!" "Using God's creations to ceate something useful and beautiful."

Soon enough, however, doubt krept in... "Do I have enough clamps?" "Of course you do! You have a master's degree in ELECTRICAL Engineering, that's basically the same as wood anyway."

So off I go, glue, glue, glue... clamp, clamp, clamp... Hmmmm, those edges aren't exactly touching... "More clamps!" I shout to the attending nurse. My mind responds with a weak, "There are no more clamps..."

Well, but I'm an engineer... I can make due. If there are no clamps, we'll use weight! Gravity will be our clamp!

What is heavy? Hmmm (by this time my education is kicking in)... Iron is heavy! Yes, yes, I have some iron, what else? Food is heavy! And books, books are heavy! So I gather my resources...

My last house was way out in the country with some outbuildings. While rummaging around out there one day I came across an old anvil nailed to a stump. I couldn't just leave it there could I? Add to my list 1 anvil (140lbs)

I'm mormon. That means I believe in being prepared in the case of emergency or hardship, which in turn means I believe in having a solid supply of food on hand. Add to my list 200lbs wheat, 25lbs rice, 25lbs pintos, 25 lbs sugar, 25lbs rolled oats, 20lbs random legumes.

I mentioned I have a masters in engineering. Add to my list 100lbs useless text books.

So, you pile this all on your router tabletop-in-the-making and what do you get?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb 2006 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	788394

It looks like it might actually work... I'll see how it looks after it dries and I trim it up a bit. Luckily I didn't spend a fortune on the plywood.

So...here's to education, food, and wood!
    Last edited by kgworkman; 02-16-2006, 01:26 AM.
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

What??? You didn't park your car on it???
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• monte
      Forum Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

Great idea. Keep in mind you will never have enough clamps in your shop.
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Now I see the logic in the Morman practice of keeping food stores!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• lucifari
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2004
          • Wheaton, MD, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

...and, here's to a great sense of humor, it will stand you in great stead as you progress in this madness....
          Bill

\"Life is uncertain, order dessert first\"

Comment

• gfrenzel
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2006
            • Sulphur, LA, USA.
            • BT3100

Now that was funny!!!
            Garth
            HE took my nails. <><

Comment

• paulstenlund
              Established Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Puget Island, Wa.

I like the car idea, embarassed I haven't thought of that. Hmmmm need a true flat section of floor, the Jeep has the widest tires .........

Comment

• AlanJ
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • Rochester, MN
                • BT3100

Lucky you're an engineer with a masters! If you were an ornery guy without trainin' and stuff you would never have thought of that!

AJ
                Alan

Comment

• kgworkman
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Colfax, WA, USA.

Originally posted by AlanJ
                  Lucky you're an engineer with a masters! If you were an ornery guy without trainin' and stuff you would never have thought of that!

AJ

I always new that learning would pay off some day.

If I had thought of the car, I would have done it ina heartbeat.

Comment

• psal2
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.

Originally posted by monte
                    Great idea. Keep in mind you will never have enough clamps in your shop.
                    yeah, that's right and they take up a lot less space then sand bags and cement. and easier to move too...
                    Thanks,
                    Pete

Comment

• John Hunter
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                      • BT3000 & BT3100

Seems that every time there is a sale on clamps I just have to buy some more.
                      John Hunter

Comment

• Wood_workur
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Ohio
                        • Ryobi bt3100-1

Well, if all those clamps get accidently glued on, then you will have a stand pre built, too.

Oh, I still see a little gap in there. []
                        Alex

Comment

• linear
                          • May 2004
                          • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by kgworkman
                          You have a master's degree in ELECTRICAL Engineering, that's basically the same as wood anyway."

So off I go, glue, glue, glue... clamp, clamp, clamp... Hmmmm, those edges aren't exactly touching... "More clamps!" I shout to the attending nurse. My mind responds with a weak, "There are no more clamps..."
                          I'm not buying it, man. A real EE would be shouting something like "this mapping to the s-plane is not conformal!"
                          --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Must be nice to be an EE with a Master's degree at the age of 13 (Honestly, that's what your profile says). Took me until I was 23 to get my Master's in EE.

Anyway, here's something to learn for today: MDF is much better for this kind of thing - lays perfectly flat sheet after sheet...

Something else to learn: Maybe some well placed screws from the bottom sheet to the top sheet would work just as well as clamps or weight...
                            Just make sure that the threads are not in the bottom sheet by using a larger clearance hole in the bottom sheet, that will allow pulling the sheets together.

oh, btw, welcome to the forum.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tribalwind
                              • Feb 2004
                              • long island, ny.

i wish i'da taken pics of my "ultimate tool station' when making the torsion box on the bottom.
                              i had a wall of cinderblocks that came outta my garden (they formed raised beds) and stacked em all on the mdf for my big glue up, had ever single clamp on there too, its when i realized 187 clamps isnt gonna cover every situation
                              :P
                              nice job, i wish i thought of the car idea too! 1 wheel on there would been perfect!,
                              hey if ya want i might have some 1/16" laminate to cover your table. though im thinkin shipping it could be problematic hmmm.
                              namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

Working...