• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silverfox
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Richland Center WI, USA.
    • BT3100

David...in my construction applications I use the sawboard to cut sheet goods just about anywhere I can lay the sheet flat. Or sometimes I even cut with the sheet upright but I'm not recommending that. Most of the time I use saw horses with a couple of sheets of MDF across them (if they aren't stacked full of constuction debris) and then put the sheet to cut on top of that. If the cut is near the edge of the sheet I will hang it over the MDF and if the cut is nearer the center of the sheet I will usually part the underlayment of MDF sheets and cut the top sheet btween those.No reason you couldn't do it on the floor with 2" foam if you wish. HTH
    Mike

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

quote:Originally posted by Sam Conder

Sawboard!!!

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

O.K., fine! That looks like what I need. So, can you send yours down so I'll have a Sawboard to build a Sawboard with?[)]

Comment

• Sam Conder
        Woodworker Once More
        • Dec 2002
        • Midway, KY
        • Delta 36-725T2

David,

I have four 4' 2x4's that I lay down on the driveway and then lay the sheet goods on them to cut...
        Sam Conder
        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Scottydont
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Edmonds, WA, USA.
          • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I use my TS to rip narrow stock and crosscuts but for cutting any sheet goods, I made a cutting table out of a 2x4 grid and set it up on two saw horses. I use a allinoneclamp guide (like the ones at Rockler) and the cuts are so clean and accurate I rarely have to recut them on the TS. Some folks object the cost of the allinone clamps but a sawboard and a foam panel like other guys mentioned is cheap, produces great results, and most importantly safer than trying to wrestle sheet goods on the table saw. After all it's a table saw not a saw mill.
          Scott
          "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• messmaker
            Veteran Member
            • May 2004
            • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
            • Ridgid 2424

I think cutting it with a guide and C.saw on some type of cutting surface that allows you to get in the right position is by far the best for big sheets.You don't have to support the cut portion as you finish. It can't fall if its already on the ground.
            spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
              • Mar 2005
              • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

Sheet goods can be difficult, heavy and awkward.
              I can hardly believe I went so many years working off a set of saw horses W/o adequate support. It is agrevating to get a nice cut across a panel only to have the circular saw pinch and kickback scuffing a panel(not to mention it could be dangerous. It was ony a couple months ago I did something about it. I went down to the Borg and bought a set of folding table legs about $13. I then ripped up a sheet of plywood that had warped in 3 1/2" strips and put together an open grid cutting table. When not in use it is folded up and hung on the wall.
              Setting the saw so it just goes through the panel and using a saw guide, gives near perfect cuts and smaller more managable pieces that are easily trued on the BT.
              I can`t believe I never did this many years ago?

An additional benifit was discovered a few weeks ago when I brought home some MDF sheets, heavier than I care to carry by myself.
              By setting the table up behind my trailer I could slide the sheets onto the table W/o lifting and cut them into managable panels.
              Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I keep threatening to build a knock-down grid support system such as Jim describes, but for now I'm using the same four 2x4 method as Sam except that mine are set atop sawhorses. Two of the 2x4s go under each "half" of the sheet; i.e., two on each side of the cutline so that both sections will remain supported and flat after the cut has been made. The exception is when one piece will be narrow, say 6" wide; in that case, I use only one 2x4 and place it such that the narrow cut piece will balance atop it.
                Larry

Comment

• Jim-Iowa
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Colfax, Iowa, USA.

I should have mentioned my final motivation in building the table.
                  Was when I had a full sheet of 1/2" plywood in hand and the sawhorse tipped over. My normally controlled temper nearly got lost.
                  Sanity is just a one trick pony. Being a bit Crazy is a wide open field of opportunity!

Comment

Working...