• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ronak Shah
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2005
    • Beaverton, OR.

Newbie Q: How do you cut large sheets?

Simple question from a newbie: All I've got is a BT3100, a drill and a couple odds and ends. I'm in the process of making a mobile base for my saw, and would love to know how you all cut largish sheets of plywood.

I didn't feel comfortable cutting a 4' x 2' x 3/4" sheet on the saw. Perhaps it's just an overactive imagination but the lack of support freaked me out. In the end I went at it with a handsaw and cut it in half.

Am I too worried about this? I really want to limit my purchases until I have a bit to show for my new hobby, but is this something you'd only attack with a circular saw?

Ronak
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Many people will cut it down to smaller pieces with a circular saw and a saw guide (which can be as simple as a 2x4 with a couple of clamps) and some sawhorses.

You could use infeed and outfeed supports with a BT3 (or any other under $1000 table saw), you'd need good, large ones. Also you probably need the wide - table raill kit and supports so your rip fence can be 4 feet from the blade.

Or a good helper and the wide table rail kit.

The best thing is a panel saw, but few can justify that!

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RainShadow
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Oceanside, CA, USA.

I use a smaller version circular saw with plywood blade (Porter-Cable Boss) and a perfectly straight 2 X 4 that I use for this purpose only. I do NOT cut using stands or saw horses ---- I use 2 -- 1" foam insulation sheets under the plywood and cut on the ground. You can also make your own cutting guide or purchase clamp on edge guides.
      If you cut elevated or on you table saw -- you are looking for trouble; in my humble opinion.

Good luck and have a GREAT weekend, Randy from Oceanside, CA

Comment

• dkhoward
        • Dec 2003
        • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
        • bt3000

I built a sheet good support rack in my shop. It consists of 4 2x4's that hook onto a length of 3/4 inch rigis conduit attached to the wall. THe 2/4's sit at about a 5 degree angle and have a small ledger board on each one. It is a very simple thing to sit a piece of sheet goods on the ledger boards with the plywood on its long edge, make yoru measurements, attach a saw guide (I use a piece of aluminum extrusion about 8.5 inches long for lengthwise cuts and a shorter piece of crosscuts) with c clamps and use a circular saw with a host attached to the DC system. It is quick, easy, pretty accurate, cheap and can be taken down and stored in a relatively small area.
        Dennis K Howard
        www.geocities.com/dennishoward
        "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

I've done both the circ saw cut down, and taken the 4x8 sheet straight to the BT. You definately need helpers to do this, regardless of infeed/outfeed support, in my opinion. It took 3 of us to properly wrangle the sheet and ensure a nice tight ride on the rip fence.

It depends upon the project, really. I usually rough it out with a circ saw, but there are projects that just need to be 8' tall.

Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• Ronak Shah
            Forum Newbie
            • Sep 2005
            • Beaverton, OR.

Thanks to all of you for the input. I'm glad that my instinct not to do this on the saw (by myself) was spot on.

I'm looking forward to building stuff (safely)!

Comment

• drumpriest
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
              • Powermatic PM 2000

Ronak, for a 4'x2' piece, I'd feel pretty comfortable cutting it on my bt by myself. But I would setup infeed and outfeed support, I just use the 15$ rollers from Home Depot. When you get into the 8'x4' sheets, that's when I refuse to do it alone.

Have fun making your project.

Keith Z. Leonard
              Go Steelers!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

quote:Originally posted by dkhoward

I built a sheet good support rack in my shop. It consists of 4 2x4's that hook onto a length of 3/4 inch rigis conduit attached to the wall. THe 2/4's sit at about a 5 degree angle and have a small ledger board on each one. It is a very simple thing to sit a piece of sheet goods on the ledger boards with the plywood on its long edge, make yoru measurements, attach a saw guide (I use a piece of aluminum extrusion about 8.5 inches long for lengthwise cuts and a shorter piece of crosscuts) with c clamps and use a circular saw with a host attached to the DC system. It is quick, easy, pretty accurate, cheap and can be taken down and stored in a relatively small area.
                Dennis,
                Any chance of seeing some pics of your setup? I need something like that.
                TIA,
                ken

Comment

• Sam Conder
                  Woodworker Once More
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Midway, KY
                  • Delta 36-725T2

Sawboard!!!

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

Sam Conder
                  BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• monte
                    Forum Windbag
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                    • GI 50-185M

quote:Originally posted by Sam Conder

Sawboard!!!

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

I'm with Sam on the Sawboard! Very cheap and easy to make!
                    Monte (another darksider)
                    Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• silverfox
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Richland Center WI, USA.
                      • BT3100

I third the sawboard and can't figure out why it took so long for someone to post it. After you make it there is no measuring from the cut line to the blade....you just slap the 'ol sawboard right ON the cut line, clamp it down and cut it with your circular. Cheap, fast and accurate.
                      Mike

Comment

• dkhoward
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                        • bt3000

Ken,
                        I will try and clean out the shop enough get pics of the thing. It is simple. If I get time tonight I will through some lines into Deltacad and post some PDF's if that would help.
                        Dennis K Howard
                        www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                        "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• dlminehart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • San Jose, CA, USA.

Sam and other sawboarders: the sawboard basically insures a straight cut. Do you lay the sheet goods across a bunch of sawhorses, on a sheet of hard foam, on a wooden frame, or what?
                          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• John Hunter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                            • BT3000 & BT3100

I use a Johnson Level & Tool 98" Aluminum Cutting Guide from Lowes
                            http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...900&lpage=none as my guide and make the cut with my Ryobi 18 Volt 5-1/2" Circular Saw.
                            John Hunter

Comment

• Sawatzky
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2005
                              • CA
                              • Ridgid TS3650

I hav successfully cut large sheets in half (length wise) on my BT alone. I have a large outfeed table and a roller stand for the front. I works pretty good, but I think I need to purchase some more roller stands. If I cut it in half the other way I need a helper. Bottom line - if you don't feel safe, don't do it. Use a saw board.

Comment

Working...