• Show
Clear All
  • ewl
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2005
    • Lake Ridge, VA, USA.

BT3 good for a newbie?

Hi,
    I'm a woodworking newbie, about to undertake a laminate flooring project in our kitchen. I'm told that a table saw would be best for this job, but not sure what to get-- something real cheap and just enough to get it done, or something a little better that might last for a while should I really "like" woodworking and decide to take on some other projects down the road (a good possibility). I am a little leary of getting something so cheap that it does a lousy job. I've seen the posts here about the BT3000/3100. Would that be a good choice-- newbie-friendly, but room to grow? Thanks for any advice!
  • don_hart
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

Yes the BT3 would definitely fit the bill. It is a great saw that is very accurate and has features only found on other saws that are much more exspensive. Also if you decide later that you do not want to get into wood working you will find it pretty easy to sell the saw and get most of your money back.

Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• bfrikken
      • Apr 2005
      • Michigan, USA.
      • BT-3100

I recently finished my basement using laminate flooring.

Here are some pics of how it looks now. I have the bt3100 and love it. I have to admit though, the only tool I used was a compound miter saw and an 18V Circular saw.

Comment

• alebrewer

Nice laminate flooring job! I'm finishing my basement and plan to put down laminate flooring as well. Hopefully mine will turn out nice as well.

I'm also new to woodworking, and opted for the BT3100 a short time ago, to use during the basement job. Thus far, its been great...haven't come close to using the different features, basically doing crosscuts and rips. But, when the framing and sheetrocking are done, I plan to build some cabinets, bookcases, etc. for which I'm sure I'll use additional capabilities of the saw. So, yes, I'd recommend the saw highly, and if you think you'd use some of the other features, I'd definitely go with the 3100 so you can "grow into it" as I believe I will.

Bob

Comment

• JohnnyTest
          Established Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Joppa, Maryland.

bfrikken would you mind telling me the color and brand of the flooring you used. I showed my wife these pics as we are looking to use laminate in the basement as well,and she loved the color. Really good job.

Comment

• ewl
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2005
            • Lake Ridge, VA, USA.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. The fact that this website exists says a lot too and I look forward to learning! I've got a Home Depot 10% off coupon that expires today so I think I'll be swinging by later to pick one up...

bfrikken-- that is an awesome job, I only hope mine turns out as well!

Comment

• bfrikken
              • Apr 2005
              • Michigan, USA.
              • BT-3100

The color is American Cherry. I bought it at Lowes when they do their occasional Laminate Flooring Sale. 24 bucks for a 25.77 sq foot bundle. I'll look the brand up tonight when I get home. It is a glueless locking floor.

I way overestimated on how much I needed and had to take a lot back. You use a lot of cutoffs to start the next rows so seams don't match up.

One tip is to run 3 rows at a time on this stuff so it stays nice and snug. I don't have any gaps and I got it done in 2 days.

Also, I love my bt3100. I've used it to cut for some roughin jobs, and I used it on my some trim as well. Comes with a nice blade as well, so you shouldn't have to upgrade that right away.

Good Luck with everything!

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Ewl, a BT3 is a great saw for a DIY type. Its not a cheap junk contractor saw and its not a $1k overkill for a typical user. Rod/etc have enough jig plans on here for almost anything you could ever dream of doing. Plus Jeff and the t-nut/etc hardware he sells for making jigs and addons is great. Not to forget about Lee's Sharkguard, etc. If i missed anyone, read my sig.. heh

As far as that laminate flooring, *i* would use my ridgid 18v trim saw. Maybe my CMS. But i am also the person who builds sheds/decks/etc with my cordless tools and air nailers.. If you see a corded tool, something must have froze over. That 'do not cut PT lumber' thing on most cordless saws doesn't mean anything does it?

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

I had to post due to my experience with laminate flooring. My wife and I redid the entire house, which had horrible carpetting before.

http://keith.getjazzed.net/house/the_house.html

You can see various pictures of the different rooms in different stages. I used a makita ls1013, my bt3100, and my bosch jigsaw for the job. All 3 of these tools are worth thier weight in gold.

As to the bt3100, in general it's a very nice saw. I've used it for construction and for woodworking, it's well up to the task so long as you don't beat the crap out of it.

Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• ewl
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Lake Ridge, VA, USA.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did pick up a BT3100 and am going to assemble it this weekend. What do you think about the blade that comes with it? Could I get by with using that for my laminate project, or do I *need* a 60-80T?

Comment

• monte
                      Forum Windbag
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                      • GI 50-185M

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the group. The 36T blade that comes with the saw should work fine for your flooring job at hand.
                      Monte (another darksider)
                      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• BobSch
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by monte

Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the group. The 36T blade that comes with the saw should work fine for your flooring job at hand.
                        The stock blade is one of the saws secret weapons. I was very surprized to find a great blade on a $300 saw. Not to say that a 24t ripper and a 60/80t plywood blade would be turned down...

Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

quote:Originally posted by ewl

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did pick up a BT3100 and am going to assemble it this weekend. What do you think about the blade that comes with it? Could I get by with using that for my laminate project, or do I *need* a 60-80T?
                          You should try the supplied blade. It is surprisingly good.
                          If you don't feel the cuts are as good as you want, then go out and get a Freud 60T or 80T crosscut blade or perhaps a specialty laminate cutting blade which will probably cost you $50+.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ewl
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2005
                            • Lake Ridge, VA, USA.

I just saw the Freud TK406 10" 60T on sale for $25 at http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?ProductID=TK406-10.., I'm going to give the blade that comes with it a try, but for that price maybe it's worth picking one up? I will have some trim work to do down the road...

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

Ewl, if you havn't started your flooring job yet, you might wanna pick up a cheap blade for cutting the laminate. Cutting that stuff is pretty hard on a blade.

Not sure about that specific freud blade.

Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...