• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Keenan
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • washington, dc, USA.

Cedar lined built-in cabinet

This is the first time I've posted a project here in years!

I just finished installing a cedar-lined cabinet that I made for our closet, which is barely big enough to qualify as "walk-in."

The carcass is made from melamine, for the lining, back and doors I used 1/4" cedar plywood which I was able to get locally. It was the right choice for the back but for the lining the planks you can get at home centers may have been a better choice. The plywood was quite expensive and it's only cedar on one side. Fitting the big pieces inside was tricky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231115_154635743.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	856990

The cabinet is 43"w x 80" high x 24" deep. I had to carry it in pieces up to the second floor for assembly, and then it took my two adult sons and me to get it into the closet, it barely fit. The carcass took most of two full sheets of melamine so it probably weighs close to 200 lbs.

There are only doors on one side because it's going in a blind corner, so it has a panel on the right and doors on the left. The panel and doors are the same construction, both are Shaker style. For the stiles, rails and trim I bought aromatic cedar boards as rough lumber, planed them and then cut to size. The panels are the same 1/4" cedar plywood as the lining. Construction is very simple with a 1/4" dado on all four edges of the frame and a 1/4" tenon on the rails. Assembling the right panel, which is almost 7' long and four panels, was a bit of a trick.

Note that the panels were all cut from single piece of plywood and the grain is continuous across the face.
  • Nick Keenan
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • washington, dc, USA.

I did a bit of research on moths and I learned that while the aroma of cedar does mask the smell of your clothes to keep them from finding them, the real trick is to make your cabinet air-tight so the moths can't find their way in. What I ended up doing was making the door overlay the face frame, and then routing a 1/8" rabbet in the back of the frame and putting felt weatherstripping in the rabbet so that it would close tightly. I used external hinges so the hinge wouldn't interfere with the seal.

Name:	PXL_20231115_183538032.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	856992

To hold the doors tightly closed I used latches that are meant for use on boats and RV's, from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B94N495N/ ). They work well. They required a hole routed through the door which I did with a simple jig:

Name:	PXL_20231115_183516993.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	856993

Comment

• Nick Keenan
      Established Member
      • Apr 2004
      • washington, dc, USA.

For the finish I used General Finishes High Performance Water Based Topcoat ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BG6ITNC ) in a flat finish. It is expensive but it was great. I did three coats applied with a brush. The flat finish really looks sharp. Easy water cleanup too.

The cedar is very soft and brittle and somewhat hard to work with because of that, it tears out constantly. But the finish seemed to toughen it up.

Comment

• Black walnut
        Administrator
        • Aug 2015
        • BT3K

Welcome back Nick. Looks like a fine project.
        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

bet it smells nice... if you like cedar!
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

My dad installed a cedar lined walk in about 30 years ago and it did great for about 15 years. After than the lining needed to be sanded very lightly with a sander that has a a vac to take out the sanding dust.

Your work looks great!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...