Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

20 minute project - Glue gun holder/stand

I was goofing around the shop and made this from an article I saw online -
    I have a Arrow hot melt glue gun that I hate because it has a built in stand but its too narrow and falls over from the weight and stiffness of the cord. It just would not stand up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P4220010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.1 KB ID:	854911 Click image for larger version  Name:	P4220011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.7 KB ID:	854912

also in the pics/attachments are the Woodsmith article I stole this from and simplified greatly.
    Didn't need the fancy "T"-handle (just a hole for me) and no glue-stick storage.
    This gun had a long handle so I had to make the hole/slot shorter so the gun would "hang" right.

article link https://www.woodsmith.com/newsletter...ource=hs_email
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-23-2023, 02:10 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Great idea! I too have found the glue gun to need a holder that will make it easy to access, and to catch the melting glue that drips. I like the stick holder also, but I have moved to the long sticks and would need to modify the stick holder to handle the 12? inch sticks.

I would probably triple wax the section under the tip so that the drippings would come off easy. Any other ideas to catch and remove the glue drippings, or is this just a problem that I have?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
      Great idea! ...

I would probably triple wax the section under the tip so that the drippings would come off easy. Any other ideas to catch and remove the glue drippings, or is this just a problem that I have?
      Triple wax might work. In the article they used a 3x3 ceramic tile to catch the drips. Maybe waxed.
      Anything sacrificial will work, too.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Grrr. I have a package of about 50 glue sticks somewhere. Exactly where escapes me at the moment. Been looking for them since last night.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
          leehljp commented
          Editing a comment
          I did the same thing last fall. I ordered a bundle of the long sticks; A month later I could not find it and had to order another. I finally found the original pack last month!
      • Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

My hot melt glue gun also has a folding stand but it seems to work OK. Probably because the bottom of the hand grip has a wide pedestal base. I use a 3M sticky note to catch the drips. Easy toss in the bin when done.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          3M post-it - great idea to catch the drips.
      • LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Countdown timer
        Some years ago I made this countdown timer for my air cleaner. I used an electromechanical spring-wound Intermatic 0-12 hour timer that I got on sale but they run about $23 now. I put it in a couple of electrical junction boxes and a power cord and used it to control my air filter/cleaner - I would set it on 4 to 8 hours and

Good for using glue guns and branding irons and other heating stuff - auto time off so you don't have to worry about leaving them on and burning down the shop.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

To make long glue sticks, I just put a dab of melted glue on the end of a six inch stick and stick it to the end of the stick already in the gun.
          If hot melt glue won't glue together two sticks of itself, it won't be much good!

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• nicer20
            Established Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Dublin, CA
            • BT3100

What if you use a piece of melamine shelving for the base? Will that provide a surface where the hot glue can be easily scratched off?

Just a thought.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              LCHIEN commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, that probably works. Waxed melamine even better.
          • cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Nice project Loring, thank you for the post.

I recently rediscovered my glue gun a couple of months ago. I had put it away a number of years ago, opting to use my Titebond glues for a few years. Then something came up at the beginning of this year and I remembered the glue gun. I have the thumb push one which I think I bought back in the 70's and then when my FIL passed away I found his trigger-operated one, which was slightly larger.

Regarding the glue drip, I just place a scrap of card stock below the strip and then throw it away. But just now, with the question here, I wonder how a piece of silicone would work. In several home stores I am always seeing silicone mats, utensils, etc. usually at rather cheap prices.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...