Here's a project I did 30 years ago still in daily use.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's a project I did 30 years ago still in daily use.

A clothes hanger next to the washer dryer that doesn't take much room and can be folded away
    Can't recall where I saw one I copied the idea from.
    A hook, an eye, a clothes rod dowel, and a clothes rod support, the open top kind. Very simple.
    You need a pretty stiff hook and eye because if you make this thing long and you hang a lot of clothes from it there is a lot of cantilevered weight. This is about the third hook and eye. the others straightened out after some use. Of course I told my wife it was a for a few clothes and she hangs the entire wash stored there. You need to anchor the base to a stud, too!
    There's a practical limit to the length due to the cantilever forces. I would say not more than 2 feet!
    Can't see it but the end of the rod has a 1/4" dowel sticking up about 1/2" to keep clothes from sliding off the end. Ah, you can see it in the picture of the rod stored away, at the end pointing down.
    Coarse adjust the tilt of the rod by the position of the hook; and by trimming the end of the rod. You can fine adjust the tilt of the rod by how much the eye is screwed in.

Been in use daily for 30 years now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P6151065.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.1 KB ID:	851288 Click image for larger version  Name:	P6151066.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.8 KB ID:	851289 Click image for larger version  Name:	P6151067.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	851290
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-15-2022, 11:53 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I can't imagine how much force those screws have had to resist all this time. Your kids were never tempted to hang from it? My younger daughter likes to jump and hang from everything, and when she was younger, she'd grab onto the doorknobs, sandwich the door between her knees, and then swing. Then I'd have to go retighten the hinge screws

I just flashed back to HS physics for a second there! I also remember the teacher telling the class (all boys that day, by coincidence) as we calculated the velocity of an object going up and down a ramp, and geeking out to how slippery wet ice on wet ice would be, that, "Remember, friction is your friend". To this day I still don't know if there was something implied in there or not.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

These are only about twenty years old, but see daily use on the dinner table. I actually made a dozen of them to give as Christmas gifts to the family members. We kept three of them for ourselves. The weird one in the front is a prototype made from plywood. SWMBO said to keep it as an extra if needed. They are made from scrap maple and finished by soaking them in Danish Oil for a couple of weeks and then curing in a warming box for a few more. They get dishes straight from the oven with no damage. Never in the dishwasher though. Size is 8"x11". The clothes hanger is brilliant.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	991C416D-8574-4371-A6E9-0798FBAA1DEF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.5 KB ID:	851307
      Last edited by Jim Frye; 06-15-2022, 06:26 PM.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
        I can't imagine how much force those screws have had to resist all this time.
        Since the distance from the bottom of the rod to the hook eye is about 1.5" and the lever arm is 24 inches a 1 pound object at 24 inches will exert about 24/1.5 or about 16 pounds of force on the screw. A 1 pound object halfway out would exert 8X.
        So if you have 10 pounds of clothes spread evenly over the 24" length you are probably looking at 80 pounds force on the hook and eye.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I am in the midst of moving around / rearranging the the home offices for my wife and I since we both are work at home now. So my oldest surviving project is in a box right now, BUT.... I still have, and use my pencil box I made in 6th grade shop class, and it looks like a 6th grade shop class student made it to boot!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...