• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Floating wine bottle holder

I was going to make one of these as a Christmas present but it all went wrong.

They described it on a Lee Valley video they sent me in email. So I made it according to their verbal description and it was all off balance wise. Second it was nearly impossible to make a 45° 1-1/4" hole with a hole saw or a Forstner. The edge of the bit hit the wood before the center pilot drill (hole saw) or center point (Forstner) dug in sending the workpiece flying away catastrophically.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Wine bottle holder.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	841808

Other versions I saw they drilled a straight hole, not angled but the bottle goes up at a 45 degree angle which looks odd to me.

I solved the drilling problem as you can see. I'll explain it in another post if someone wants to know. And I had to splice a piece on the bottom end to get it to balance with all the bottles of wine I possess.

And just in case the owner forgot what he was drinking, I put some Italian words on it.

So this is the prototype with a gouge next to the hole and an extension piece, but it does work neat and looks cool. Didn't make it out as a present though.

Maybe the balance is not all the fault of the Lee Valley design... I made it of 2.5" wide instead of 3.5" wide board as they suggested, maybe the extra material made that much difference.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	wine bottle holder 2-small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	841809
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-27-2020, 02:50 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I had one of these as my DP when I was in Japan. I don't remember drilling a 45° with a forstner bit, but I believe it could. I know I drilled some at some strong angles angles. I remember clamping them down well, but it worked. I can't remember exactly what I was working on.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Finally Completed this project. with a clear acrylic coat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1280169.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	842511
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• nicer20
        Established Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Dublin, CA
        • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I was going to make one of these as a Christmas present but it all went wrong.

They described it on a Lee Valley video they sent me in email. So I made it according to their verbal description and it was all off balance wise. Second it was nearly impossible to make a 45° 1-1/4" hole with a hole saw or a Forstner. The edge of the bit hit the wood before the center pilot drill (hole saw) or center point (Forstner) dug in sending the workpiece flying away catastrophically.

I solved the drilling problem as you can see. I'll explain it in another post if someone wants to know. And I had to splice a piece on the bottom end to get it to balance with all the bottles of wine I possess.
        Indeed interested - a lot to learn I am sure ....

Thanks in advance ..

- NG

Comment

Working...