• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Project with the grandson

Since the grandson is home for the summer and probably a while into the semester, I invited him over for a woodworking projects with our masks on for both isolation and dust protection.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.5 KB ID:	840116Click image for larger version  Name:	2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	68.5 KB ID:	840117Click image for larger version  Name:	3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	840118Click image for larger version  Name:	4.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	840119

He marked the lengths of the cuts. Operated the miter saw.
    lowered the drill press quill to cut the holes.
    I positioned the saw and drill prior to his operating.
    I did the assembly and gluing and the brad nailing.
    He assembled and screwed the bottom and
    I hit the letter punches with the hammer.
    He's 9 years old.

Chickadee nest house plans found online.
    Free plans to build a nesting box - this one is designed for chickadees to raise their young.

You're supposed to use a 6" BOARD CUT FROM A 1X12, BUT i CHEATED AND USED A 1X6 CEDAR FENCE PICKET WHICH IS ONLY 5.5 INCHES WIDE.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-03-2020, 05:36 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Great job! Teach them young

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

He looks happy with you and the project. Great looking chickadee nest house. And great job on the lette/number stamping too. I have some letter/number stamps too but aligning them is not one of my best skills. I still use them on occasion.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

For alignment I always clamp a strip of 1-by wood to the workpiece to set the bottom line - this sets the bottom line AND it also gives you a flat against which to set the punch's square side to make the letter vertical.. But its hard because it you look at the sets, all the letters and numbers are not consistently aligned - not perfectly centered so you get a wavy line even using a guide bar like I do.
        So still not perfect but beats freehanding.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-09-2020, 09:13 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

The other grandson gets a day in the shop.
          I had some precut bases for the triangle peg puzzle that they have at every table in Cracker Barrel restaurants. I let him operate the drill press to cut the holes... Drill presses are wonderful because each hole is an identical depth and perfectly parallel to all the other holes. Combine that with presorted golf tee pegs and a numbered drill bit set, each peg is a perfect slip fit and they all line up like precision (unlike the puzzles at Cracker Barrel which all lean at different angles). Not that he cares, but I care.

But my Grandson, to his credit (almost 6 Y.O.) operated the DP very carefully with me lining up the holes. He carefully lowered it to the stop. And then he fitted all the pegs. And we glued some felt to the bottom.
          And to top it off, I made a pair of wooden swords for the two of them to duel with. I hope no one gets hurt!

Enjoy the attached pictures.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-12-2020, 01:46 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...