• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Old Project - router rest

Some number of years ago, probably around 10 years or so, I found plans and built this router rest for when you do handheld work with a router and need a place to set it down so the still spinning bit is off the table. The classic way to do this is to simply flip the router upside down and set it on its top. But this rest was kind of neat looking and made it easier and more stable to handle the router and all the controls are on top.
    I haven't used it much lately - mostly I work on the router table, but sometimes its easier to take the router to the work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200302_214519_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.6 KB ID:	838838Click image for larger version  Name:	20200302_214537_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.5 KB ID:	838837
    The can of contact cleaner is because these Bosch 16xx series or 1617evs sometimes seem to get dust in the unsealed switches and be a bit intermittent turning on. Mine are old; the new ones have sealed switches.

The second picture, shows how you normally set the router if you don't have a stand, on its top with the still spinning bit exposed (just out of the picture here) and its tippy and heavy to flip over so its definitely less safe.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-03-2020, 11:38 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Thanks Loring,

That's a nice idea, and a fairly simple project at that.

I don't do a lot of hand-held router work, but on the occasions that I have, I usually just hang on to the router until it stops. Having a 'rest' is a much better and definitely safer idea; where I can just make the run, and then place the router immediately afterwards. Never quite felt safe sitting it on it's side or on top with the bit exposed, still spinning or not. The 'rest' is a much safer practice!

Thanks,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I like that a lot. It makes me want to do one for the sander, which can't be set upside down. And my table top is such that I don't want it scratched up by a still-running sander.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Carlos
        I like that a lot. It makes me want to do one for the sander, which can't be set upside down. And my table top is such that I don't want it scratched up by a still-running sander.
        https://www.rockler.com/sander-sitte...al-landing-pad
        https://www.circlesaw.com/sander-and...sander-sitter/
        Click image for larger version  Name:	24699-11-1000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.1 KB ID:	838884

22 or 25 bucks... if you don't want to chase down bearings for a rotating base. Sander base has to be able to spin (the power cord keeps the top part from spinning). Supposedly cleans the sandpaper as well.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-30-2020, 01:34 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I looked on amazon and those sander sitters were $75 there. Rarely do I see Rockler (and they are out) or other places that much cheaper than Amazon.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

My sander won't sit flat while running, and falls right off that. The cord seems to pull it also.

Comment

Working...