• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Getting ready for spring

My wife wanted some new bird houses for the yard this year so I did an adaptation of a band saw box and a Tiny Tree. Relatively quick and easy to build. I roughed the out the tree with the band saw and shaped and finished it using the Merlin II with the chain saw disk. The house part was sawed off/band sawed out the center and saved the bottom and screwed and glued too back to the bottom of the tree section. The bottom is removable for housecleaning and possible attachment to a pole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41856AEA-B18B-40FE-9946-E5E32AECC8F8.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	838324
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Nice. Don't show that to my wife, I have a long enough list already!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Maybe she would like my version of the bald headed wood sprint bird house. I’m going to work on the mushroom growing out of his head a bit more. I made this using the Merlin II grinder with a 2” chainsaw disk and a 5” angle grinder with a 4 1/2” chainsaw disk. After I sent the photos to my 2 boys one sent me the utube link to Stubby Nubs where he was showing him using an angle grinder with the chainsaw disk and it got away from him and cut up 4 fingers. A real scary accident. I may do as he says....
      when my fingers heal up enough that I can hold a wrench I’m taking that chainsaw disk off and throwing it in the trash. It may be good advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	736D4873-AE62-46CD-8C9E-D2484420B2F2.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	838353
      Attached Files

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

Is this what you meant:
        I may do as Stubby indicated, how he said, "...when my fingers heal up enough that I can hold a wrench I’m taking that chainsaw disk off and throwing it in the trash."
        It may be good advice.

For a moment I thought YOU had gotten hurt as well.

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Okay, I watched Stumpy Nub's video you referenced. Rather horrifying. Thanks for that reference - important safety concern to know.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I did not have any problems using either of my chain saw disks..... although there was quite a pucker factor the entire time I was using them. When I was putting up my tools I was carrying my Dremel tool Plano box under my arm and it snagged the corner of my shop door and the sharp plastic latch cut a large plug out of my arm. I guess that if that’s all the blood I lost I’m ok.
            Since watching Stubys video I’m going to rethink my work habits while using the chain saw disks!

Comment

Working...