• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hand Weight stand

Rehabbing my shoulder still from last March surgery.
    Been using these hand dumbbell weights and they make a messed up jumble.
    So I threw together a short project of the kind I like (small project, have to think it out, come up with a design and then figure out how to make it.)
    This is what I came up with.
    I think it does the job of neatening up the mess. But, I under-planned the hand lift at the top. It's not easy to grab with one hand and as little as it is it weighs about 22 pounds. Too narrow and not enough vertical clearance for the handhold either. All scrap wood plus some dowel stock I keep.

Tools needed- table saw, band saw, miter saw, router table, drill press, disk sander, spindle sander.
    Special considerations - strong enough and keep the dowels parallel so it looks good.

A neat two evening project with a angle drilling jig thrown in I needed for another project.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20191206_025600_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	837757
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20191206_025858_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	837755
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20191206_025936_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	837756
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-06-2019, 04:32 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Very nice!

I like projects like that, as they're not weeks long and expensive and yet can be useful and still keep us in woodworking practice.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Very nice. Simple and "doesn't need to be furniture grade" projects are fun and let me practice new techniques or details without worrying about ruining expensive wood. I'm going to make a simple glue bottle caddy tonight, look forward to it. I need to put my glues indoors during summer.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Great idea. I have several pairs of weights laying around the house....SOMEWHERE!!!!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

Working...