• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Mid-century modern nightstands

I'm going to slap the "Done" stamp on these. You can read about the construction phase here:

I've got a few unfinished projects (DTed bar cabinet that I just want to cut apart, kitchen cabinet drawer fronts that need to be sprayed but I can't get a break

The main body is walnut from my "storm tree". The drawer box side, back, and runner are made from ash from a prize I won 2 years ago. I applied 2 coats of Dark Walnut Watco Danish oil then a couple coats of Natural Finish Watco Danish Oil. Last night I rubbed it out with steel wool and wax. I wish now that I had masked the tails on the drawer sides before apply the first coats of Watco. I don't like the muddied look in the ash at the tails. I spent a lot of time filling gaps in dovetails with tiny wedges of walnut veneer. The dark wax helps hide other things I missed. Apologies in advance for the pics. I didn't want to move them into the house while they still smelled of wax.

Each case is made up of just 2 wide boards each, and I cut and fit them in sequence so the grain wraps around the whole piece.

Another view:

The drawer bottoms are also solid walnut. They are beveled on the bottom and slide into a groove in the drawer box. There's a groove cut in the back of the bottom and a screw secures it the drawer box. That will allow the bottom to expand/contract. These just got the Natural Watco and the wax.

A lot of firsts on this project. First time dovetailing a whole case together. First time doing side hung drawers. First time using ash (which I really like now). And maybe the biggest first, first time turning on the lathe. When the feet are spread around the case more than 12" apart, you can't tell which ones are undersized/oversized. I really fretted how to install the hanger bolts in the legs but took Capncarl's advice (http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...t-installation) and decided to fish and not cut bait anymore. Some of the leg tops weren't exactly parallel to the bottoms and most of the bolts aren't centered but somehow the mounting plates fixed all that. Although you're not going to see the plates unless you stick your head down on the floor, I didn't want them to clash so I spray painted the plates and screws black. The legs are glued up from 2 pieces of wood.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Paul
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I like a project that doesn't start with "How to make ____________ out of a pallet"!
    These tables look really good, The drawer dovetails are outstanding, and the top dovetail detail sets it off. Your entry should certainly pick earn you a first place Prize in the show!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Nice set of tables, Paul!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Really nice work Paul, they look great.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

These are really nice, and the "Mid-century modern nightstands" description feels spot-on. Congrats to a job well done!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

They look great. And reminiscent of the solid designs that came out in the 50's and 60's.
            Reminds me of my childhood.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Those really turned out nice! Joinery looks very well executed. I bet they last several lifetimes.
              "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas
              => Bade's Personal Web Log
              => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• dlawlesshardware
                Handtools only
                • Mar 2015
                • Olney, IL
                • Haha, it's old and I think rigged together from multiple machines.

Nice clean look, great job!

Comment

Working...