• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Spring re-stockf

My Tiny Tables have been selling quite well at the Bowery art galley in APALACHICOLA fla. Now I am in a rush to re-stock with quality tables and highly figured wood to keep the standards up. For the black gum Tupelo Tiny Tables I worked on 3 crooked, warped and cupped Black Gum Tupelo boards that I was able to mill out enough scantlins to cobble together 3 more tables out of these beautiful boards. I think that I have enough black gum Tupelo for 4-5 more tables, then it is gone, gone, gone. The 3 chinaberry tables are made from wood I aquired from a stack of siding wood that was cut from a farm that was clearing wind rows. It works great and warps and twists a whole lot less than the black gum! I probably have enough for 6-7 more tables and this supply is also gone. I'll have to find more highly figured wood to build tables then. The bad thing is antique pine tables sell best, is the easiest to find, but is the hardest to work with, my last choice.
    capncarl
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	801126
    Last edited by capncarl; 05-04-2016, 09:47 PM.
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I just really like your tiny tables! Glad you are selling these rather than auctioning them of for far less than they are worth :-|

Have you tried cherry?

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Cherry sells quite well but my materials cost is sky high. The last highly figured cherry I purchased cost $90 for about 12 bf of finished wood. Not much profit left after I drive 400 miles. Click image for larger version

Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	787738
      Click image for larger version

Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	787739

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Oh man those are nice! I still got some cherry around, Rockler sometimes sells it for $2/bf here. If I ever find some shop time, I will take page out of your book and try one of those.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

gerti, go for it! I encourage everyone that wants to build these tables to have a go at it! I'd offer prints but I build these tables from scratch with no real drawings. I start with a nice table top and work down, decide how much overhang looks good with it, then build some legs that complement the top, then build the aprons with the angles to guide the leg splay. They make great gifts and can be crafted from existing wood lurking in the shop. ( takes about 6 bf) and 8-12 man hours.
          capncarl

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by gerti
            Oh man those are nice! I still got some cherry around, Rockler sometimes sells it for $2/bf here.
            Yikes, just paid $6/bf (not Rockler) for some to have on hand. Never seen Rockler have prices that low (not doubting you, just haven't seen it)

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I'm planning a trip to a nearby sawmill I just found out about that is suppose to have some ambrosia maple and other unique woods. While I am there I will try to find out about their shipping prices if anybody here is interested.
              I think that the days of cheap or affordable lumber prices are over. If you see cherry at $2/bf you should stock up while it is available.
              capncarl

Comment

• onedash
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Maryland
                • Craftsman 22124

If I saw cherry for $2 bf my wife would be pretty mad when I got home. Going to check out a place that sells 4/4 30bf short packs for 4.35 / bf and walnut for $6.30 / bf. I need to get some QS White Oak too. And if you buy 100 bf you get another 10% off. So I will definitely get at least 100 between the three.
                YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                  • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

These are really nice and I especially like that each of these tables is unique. Your craftsmanship and care are evident in each one.
                  Chr's

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Well to clarify it was S2S cherry with some sap wood (still have a small stash after building some tabletops for height-adjustable tables inmy office). And it may have been $2.99 though I am fairly certain it was $1.99. I have seen that sale on at least 3 occasions, they end up having a large load sitting on the floor in front of the usual wood stacks. Should I ever see one again I'll be sure to make noise.

Comment

Working...