• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Tiny Table III

I have been thinking about building a table of this type for several weeks and decided to go ahead and build one and see how it is received by the customers in Apalachicola. I just finish waxing the first tiny table III. The wood is cypress, sinker cypress, from Swindells Cypress Sawmill in Perry Fla. It was inspired by a table I saw in Vancouver, but not a copy. This one is the same dimensions as most other tiny tables because I already had a top cut out and ready to go. It's also a couple of inches taller, 26" It's the first tiny table to have a bottom stretcher and not to have any apron under the top. Also, unlike previous tiny tables the legs are doweled through the top with square pegs. If there are any future tables along these lines I will make the top larger, probably square with the legs longer and skinnier.
    capncarl

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	800952
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Beautiful table and design!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• rcp612
      Established Member
      • May 2005
      • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
      • Bosch 4100-09

Very nice table. I would be interested in learning about the procedure for the "square" dowel installation.
      Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by rcp612
        Very nice table. I would be interested in learning about the procedure for the "square" dowel installation.

+1
        Great looking table.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Great looking table, I like stretcher details. So the legs aren't through-tenoned into the top?
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Eric
            • Jun 2003
            • Cocolalla, ID
            • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Good looking table. I like the dimensions of it

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

My apologies for not providing prints and details of these tables. I have a poor excuse of not having enough time and I'm playing that card again, sorry, I'm working on it.

The photo does not do this wood justice as the top, legs and stretcher are made of all the same wood and stain, but in the photo the legs and stretcher looks almost black.

I wanted to thru tendon the legs. The legs are a compound angle, 3.5 x 3.5 degrees. I tried to cut a stop tennon on the top of the legs with this compound angle and came out with a lot of scrap. Instead I cut the top of each leg 3.5 x3.5 degrees and cut a 1/8" square mortise in the bottom of the table for the top of each leg to set in and drilled a long screw into each leg from the top. This positions the legs well and allowed me to build and fit here stretcher properly. Finally I removed each leg and glued it back in its mortise and screwed it back. After the glue dried I removed each screw, bored a 1/2" hole down the screw hole into each leg, created a square mortise with a chisel and fitted a 1/2" square 2 1/2" long dowell, sawed in a wedge slot and mopped in a generous quality of glue, then pushed in the dowel and expanded it with a wedge. Each leg dowell takes about 20 minutes.

I hope that I have time tomorrow to visit Cordrays Mill Sawmill. They have antique sinker pine and cypress and specialize in supplying wood for very high end constructions. Maybe I can leave with a small quantity of highly figured pine and/or cypress.
              capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Didn't get to make it to Cordrays, maybe in a couple of weeks. I used my time to cobble together a drawing of the tiny table.... I miss me some acad, really bad. It contains most of the necessary info. And wouldn't you know it, this drawing is of the type 1 table and the one in this post is a type 3. Oh well, I'll get right on it.
                capncarl

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	787420

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I delivered this tiny table to the little art gallery in Apalachicola today and found out how it would be received by the customers. There was one customer in the gallery talking to the owner. When she saw me unwrap the table she said "that one is mine". That is my best sales time, two more sold in about 5 minutes earlier this year. I wish it was always that easy. Now to find more highly figured wood and build a few more of these!
                  capncarl

Comment

• Eric
                    • Jun 2003
                    • Cocolalla, ID
                    • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Nice job capncarl. Too bad there wasn't two so there could be a bidding war.

Comment

Working...