• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Refridgerator Side Pull-Out Pantry

Back in January, my daughter in Missouri asked me to make her a sliding pull-out pantry to fit an area beside her fridge. There was about 6 1/2 inches between the fridge and the wall. She also has a "black" fridge and wanted the sliding pantry to be the same color.

Hardware:
    24 inch Shop Fox drawer slides (pair) attached to the pantry;
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3033...+drawer+slides

(2) 24 inch bar magnets

Appliance Roller (Pair)

The rollers ordered were for wood floor and heavy duty.

The bar magnets have a hole on each end and were bolted with small bolts onto the drawer slides. The bar magnets attached to the side of the fridge and hold well. I rolled the whole set up back and once in place nudged it towards the fridge. It locked suddenly, but the magnets will slide forward or backwards for adjustments if enough pressure in put on it. For normal use, the magnets stay put and guide the pantry in a straight line in and out. Very smooth movement. The rollers roll smoothly also.

There is a 1/2 inch gap between the left side and the wall base board molding. The pantry is also spaced 1/2 inch from the fridge, which is the thickness of the magnet.

I made this in MS and put it together with pocket screws. After making it, I took it apart and fit it into my Camry. The backing was a very tight fit for the car, so I ended up cutting it at one of the shelf lines; I could have gotten it there in one piece but it would have been curved from fitting in the back seat area. When I got it to Ozark MO and assembled the whole unit, I added Titebond glue to the assembly process.

The size is 65 1/4 inches by 24 inches by 5 1/2 inches. Shelves are at different heights as per specifications of Terri.

Here is a link to a previous post on how I cut the dados for the shelves:
    This forum is the place to ask questions about a project you are working on or are planning.

I debated about the handle and then asked my daughter. She suggested a cut out and I did. I used simi-gloss gelcoat enamel and it did well.

Pictures:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by leehljp; 06-29-2014, 10:30 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Sweet Willy
    Established Member
    • May 2011
    • Near Chattanooga, TN
    • ridgid 3650

Awesome! Great idea and great execution!
    In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
    Dennis

Sweet Willy
    sigpic

Comment

• Slik Geek
      • Dec 2006
      • Lake County, Illinois
      • Ryobi BT-3000

Well done! Amazing amount of useful storage for such a narrow space.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Hank, that's slick. I like your solution of mounting it all on bar magnets. I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel. I can definitely see myself making one of these for the fridge nook. Thanks for the idea.

Paul
        Last edited by atgcpaul; 06-30-2014, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

so the rollers take the weight of the pantry and the slides and magnets just hold the pantry to the fridge and just need enough force to keep it coupled together but is not weight-bearing. Took me a minute to figure that out. Good idea.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Condoman44
            Established Member
            • Nov 2013
            • CT near Norwich
            • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice job. I love how you used common items to solve this problem.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Did you just use one dolly on the bottom or both? The specs say one dolly is 3" wide. How are they attached to the rolling case?

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                so the rollers take the weight of the pantry and the slides and magnets just hold the pantry to the fridge and just need enough force to keep it coupled together but is not weight-bearing. Took me a minute to figure that out. Good idea.
                I am not an engineer so I took the easy route! Rollers for support and full extension drawer guides for guidance and vertical stability.

That was the second one that I built. On the first one, I was concerned that the weight of cans and jars would cause problems - so I made the frames and shelves out of 2x8s cut down. Boy, was it heavy, too heavy. I got even more concerned that the combined weight would form grooves in the wood flooring over two or three years, therefore I made the second one (pictured above) out of 1x8 cut down. The bottom shelf and roller support was made from 2x8 as well as the top shelf. I used 2x8 on the top to add more mass to the corners to prevent racking and any flexing.
                Hank Lee

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

That's awesome. I have been thinking of something similar in my kitchen. This may just be the kick in the rear to get me moving.
                  From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Nice use of wasted space! I suppose it works and does not eat up the wood floor. My experience with with roller supported slide outs have not proven well. Photo is in my shop, 4000 psi concrete with epoxy floor coating. A bunch more weight also.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	786884

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Dang ipad put the photo upside down, turn your monitor upside down to view, or stand on your head!:

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                        Nice use of wasted space! I suppose it works and does not eat up the wood floor. My experience with with roller supported slide outs have not proven well. Photo is in my shop, 4000 psi concrete with epoxy floor coating. A bunch more weight also.
                        That is why I used 32 rollers!
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          I agree, that is a really smart design.

Originally posted by leehljp
                          I am not an engineer so I took the easy route! Rollers for support and full extension drawer guides for guidance and vertical stability.
                          I see more 'engineering' here than many other places where I'd have expected to. Ingenuity, actually. Impressive.

Those appliance rollers were a revelation, particularly when you pointed out that each piece has 16 wheels! Now I gotta think up something that I can use them for...
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by capncarl
                            Dang ipad put the photo upside down, turn your monitor upside down to view, or stand on your head!:

I wish you wouldn't mess with my head! I spent a lot of time looking at your image trying to figure out how you fixed all that to the roof !
                            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• tfischer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

Very nice custom job.

Comment

Working...