Clear All
  • protool
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2003
    • Austin, TX, USA.
    • BT3000

mortiser stand

Originally posted by Pappy
    I need something like that for my mortiser. I see you have one underneath. Is the stand set up to hold it, also?
    Pappy, right now the mortiser is just hanging out below as its a convenient place and it provides a lot of ballast to the whole rig. It would be pretty easy to make a plywood platform for the mortiser to mount in place of the chopsaw, but I don't think the wings would be of use height-wise. Usually i just clamp the mortiser to the bench. This is worth thinking about though.

I built another one of these carts for my planer which has a similar design (blog post coming someday):

I hadn't considered that this could be a solution for interchangeable bench tools. Might be interesting...
    <><><><><><><><>
    David Cox
    Austin, Texas
    http://davidcox.org/wood/

Comment

• protool
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2003
      • Austin, TX, USA.
      • BT3000

Originally posted by chopnhack
      Very nice David! How do you like that saw?
      Chopnhack, the saw is amazing. Very accurate, very smooth. Back in the day, a buddy of mine had borrowed my old pawnshop chopsaw and it was stolen from his barn. A few years later, this arrived on my doorstep as a replacement from him. It was completely unexpected and a massive step up from the junky piece of crap I had.

I don't think I could personally justify the expense of a Bosch chopsaw, but it was a VERY nice gift.
      <><><><><><><><>
      David Cox
      Austin, Texas

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I love it! That is a great way to maximize your available space!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by protool
          Chopnhack, the saw is amazing. Very accurate, very smooth. Back in the day, a buddy of mine had borrowed my old pawnshop chopsaw and it was stolen from his barn. A few years later, this arrived on my doorstep as a replacement from him. It was completely unexpected and a massive step up from the junky piece of crap I had.

I don't think I could personally justify the expense of a Bosch chopsaw, but it was a VERY nice gift.
          Which model is that? I am always keeping my eye on chop saws. Eventually I want to replace my GMC with something US :-) Then again, there was a really nice Makita slider too...
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Hi Protool! I've just about finished my version of your setup. Thanks for the great pics! They've really helped in getting this together.

I have a few questions regarding the adjuster for the wings. There is a bolt on the support which is let into an insert. There is a block on the underside of the wing which rests on this bolt. Is the bolt a carriage bolt? Is it intended to rest in the groove on the support block? Do you find that this provides an adeqate connection - i.e. does it stay in place? Do you have any advice on how to best implement this thing?

TIA
            JR

Comment

• Habe
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

Dave; Nice looking stand. Thanks for the downloadable file. This will become my winter shop project.
              Habe

Comment

• protool
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2003
                • Austin, TX, USA.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by JR
                Hi Protool! I've just about finished my version of your setup. Thanks for the great pics! They've really helped in getting this together.

I have a few questions regarding the adjuster for the wings. There is a bolt on the support which is let into an insert. There is a block on the underside of the wing which rests on this bolt. Is the bolt a carriage bolt? Is it intended to rest in the groove on the support block? Do you find that this provides an adeqate connection - i.e. does it stay in place? Do you have any advice on how to best implement this thing?

TIA
                JR, I updated the blog post a few days ago with shop drawings. It got featured on Kreg's facebook page last week and people came out of the woodwork (ha!) asking for drawings. Anyway, go look at the post again - there may be some more clarity there for you. http://davidcox.org/wood/folding-rol...hop-saw-stand/

You are correct that this is a 1/4-20 carriage bolt. On my stand, its probably 2" long as a good bit of it is buried in the wood. I installed a brass threaded insert to receive the bolt along with a wingnut and washer to lock it.

I was not able to use anything larger than 1/4-20 because my hinged wing support is only 3/4" thick. I'm not too worried about since the insert is threaded into hardwood. However, if it was just mounted in the plywood, I don't think it would be substantial enough.

Yes, the carriage bolt rests in a routed groove on the support block. You can see this detail a bit better in the new shop drawings:

I have had no problems with this being substantial enough to stay in place on the chop saw. If i were to rebuild it though, I would make the routed groove deeper so that the entire head of the carriage bolt is buried into the groove. On this chop saw stand, I've never had it jump out. However, on the planer stand I mentioned a few posts back, it has wiggled out of its slot once or twice during use.
                <><><><><><><><>
                David Cox
                Austin, Texas

Comment

• lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

Your friend sounds like a really decent person, and that was a nice gesture on his part to make the replacement a nicer tool.

I'd be happy to loan him tools, if he is interested ...
                  Lee

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

If i were to rebuild it though, I would make the routed groove deeper so that the entire head of the carriage bolt is buried into the groove.
                    Thanks for that. It's exactly what I was wondering. I think I'll run a cove bit through there and see how that works.

Thanks again.
                    JR

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

Nice work! Been planning on something similar for a few years.
                      Bill

Comment

• JR
                        The Full Monte
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Eugene, OR
                        • BT3000

I'm finally done with my mods. Since I'm pretty much copying protool's design I won't start a new thread.

I used as much material from my shop as I could. I spent a total of ~$15 on hardware. The wings are repurposed from the old design, so the 2' length of the wings was predetermined.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	P5030001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	786646

The wings are made of 1/2" plywood, which means that t-track was out of the question for the fence adjustment mechanism. I cut slots all the way through and used carriage bolts to hold down the fences. I couldn't pull the trigger on the Kreg system, so I implemented my tried and true c-clamp-and-a-thingy method for stops.

Name:	wing.jpg
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	786647

The landing place for the wing leveling adjusters was centered on the wing and installed as far out on the wing as possible. I was hoping for extra stability with this setup.

Name:	wingunder.jpg
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	786648

Many thanks to protool for the excellent pics and blog. It really made this an easy effort.
                        Last edited by JR; 11-15-2013, 02:06 PM.
                        JR

Comment

Working...