• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ivwshane
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Sacramento CA

Laundry room finally finished!

First I must thank all of those that helped me along the way and a big thanks to cabinetman, without you guys it probably would have taken longer and would have had a lot more mistakes.

This project has been two years in the making Mostly because it spilled over into the living room and because I had to learn and do most of the stuff myself. To the professional eye you can tell the job was done by an amateur but to everyone else the overall remodel came out great and I learned a lot!

Up first are the before pics. Originally the laundry room sat in a hallway between the living room and garage. There wasn't a lot of room and when the wife was doing laundry I would hit her with the door coming in from the garage. In the living room pics you can see a cove on the left that was pretty useless, it was too small to do anything entertainment related and I've seen a lot of other house owners turn it into a bar area, no thanks.

So the idea was to close off the cove area and move the washer and dryer to the new area. It sounds simple but it required me to build a false wall in order to route all the plumbing (I guess I could have routed it through the existing structure but with the drain pipe it would have meant cutting a lot of material out of the 2x4's and could have affected the structure). So I built a wall and added windows (3 of them, 1 for the laundry room and two picture windows for the living room).

I installed prefinished Brazilian cherry hardwood floors (I originally was going to go with stone but I wasn't sure I had the proper floor joist support). I built the cabinets myself as well as the Brazilian cherry counter top. The counter top was finished with dutch oil/stain and other than the mistake of making my own wood filler (which took the stain/oil differently) it came out great. The cabinets were finished in dura poxy acrylic enamel by kelly more. The interior was coated with parks pro finisher. All drawers and cabinet doors have soft/self closing hinges/slides. The cabinets were made of birch plywood and poplar.

And finally we have the living room. You can see that I added a beam ceiling and windows as well as update the fireplace mantle and surround with slate tile. I also added surround sound, lighting and a fan which is not shown and we got a new slider as well. When the room is clean again I'll post the final pic with the fan.

I'll include my two inspirational pictures as well.
    Attached Files
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Looks good, but it looks like two different laundry room remodels, or did you do it twice?

The first set of what look like finished pics has slate colored front loaders, and painted cabs, the second set of pics has the ruby colored front loaders and stained cabs, and honestly looks like a Home Depot display with all that space!

I am assuming yours is the smaller space, the slate colored machines etc...

If that's the case, I may be hitting you with a barrage of questions in the future as I am interested in knowing about the cabinets over the machines. I actually don't hate my current cabs, but would like to better utilize the cramped space in my laundry room, and I don't have anywhere to expand to! I kind of need more storage!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• ivwshane
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by dbhost
      Looks good, but it looks like two different laundry room remodels, or did you do it twice?

The first set of what look like finished pics has slate colored front loaders, and painted cabs, the second set of pics has the ruby colored front loaders and stained cabs, and honestly looks like a Home Depot display with all that space!

I am assuming yours is the smaller space, the slate colored machines etc...

If that's the case, I may be hitting you with a barrage of questions in the future as I am interested in knowing about the cabinets over the machines. I actually don't hate my current cabs, but would like to better utilize the cramped space in my laundry room, and I don't have anywhere to expand to! I kind of need more storage!

The last two pics, the one with the red washer/dryer and the living room with floor lamps are my inspiration pics.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by ivwshane
        This project has been two years in the making Mostly because it spilled over into the living room and because I had to learn and do most of the stuff myself. To the professional eye you can tell the job was done by an amateur but to everyone else the overall remodel came out great and I learned a lot!
        You did a great job, and it looks professional...well done indeed. You should be very proud of yourself for taking on such a large project. You probably had some very frustrating moments, but in the end you can appreciate a job well done. Thanks for posting pictures.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

so you did the new ceiling, new fireplace, new in-wall TV, too?

Looks good.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ivwshane
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            so you did the new ceiling, new fireplace, new in-wall TV, too?

Looks good.
            Yep! It all started when I needed to install the hardwood. There wasn't a natural stopping point so I had to do the living room

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Well done, well done!!
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I keep coming back to look at those photos. That really looks fantastic.

The ceiling treatment in the living room is flat out gorgeous, and your laundry redo makes me almost jealous. I wish I had somewhere to knock walls down to grow into. Sadly I am pinned in between the master closet, master bath, garage / workshop, and kitchen. There is just nowhere to go.. I actually talked this over with LOML last night, and she agrees, we just don't have room in ours for a folding table, or even an ironing board. (our laundry gets dragged to the bedroom and gets folded.)

I especially like how you maximized the space in the laundry by spacing the cabinets right over the washer / dryer so that you aren't wasting the room above the units.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

I am without words. That's fantastic.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• ivwshane
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Sacramento CA

Thanks guys! Your approval means a lot to me because you guys are all super talented!

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I keep coming back to look at those photos. That really looks fantastic.

The ceiling treatment in the living room is flat out gorgeous, and your laundry redo makes me almost jealous. I wish I had somewhere to knock walls down to grow into. Sadly I am pinned in between the master closet, master bath, garage / workshop, and kitchen. There is just nowhere to go.. I actually talked this over with LOML last night, and she agrees, we just don't have room in ours for a folding table, or even an ironing board. (our laundry gets dragged to the bedroom and gets folded.)

I especially like how you maximized the space in the laundry by spacing the cabinets right over the washer / dryer so that you aren't wasting the room above the units.

Anything is possible, I went through several design ideas and I looked at so many laundry room pictures for ideas before I settle on this layout.
                    Post some pics of your current setup and a floor plan (I use ms paint) and maybe a different set of eyes will come up with a solution.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

That looks fantastic!

Pretty cool that your living room looks larger now even though you lost space.

That ceiling is stunning.

Paul

Comment

• unclecritic
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2008
                        • Michigan
                        • Craftsman 21829, (2) bt-3100's

Very, very nice. I wouldn't call that amateur work at all

Comment

• ivwshane
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                          That looks fantastic!

Pretty cool that your living room looks larger now even though you lost space.

That ceiling is stunning.

Paul
                          Yeah I was surprised once the paint went up that it did look bigger. I have a neighbor that did the same wall in their house but their space felt really small. They didn't add windows and their built ins went to the ceiling. Those few changes plus adding more light I think really opened up the space.

Comment

• ivwshane
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Sacramento CA

Originally posted by unclecritic
                            Very, very nice. I wouldn't call that amateur work at all
                            In the pics it looks good but up close is where a pro would see amateur written on it. It's not super obvious but it's not professional. It passes the wife test and really, that's all that matters.

Comment

Working...