• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Born out of Boredom

Since I finished my last box, "Puerta al cielo de noche" which roughly translates to "The road to your dreams at night" (kinda got a bit poetic there), and haven't come up with another one to build yet. And totally bummed out by Sandy, which only knocked out our phones and tV and internet for a few days, I decided to do something so I didn't start talking to the walls.
    For my birthday this past summer, my wife bought me a Nook Tablet. Took to leaning it against a napkin holder to stand it up in the morning. So I built a Nook holder. Took longer to finish than it took to build. Had some re-sawn Tigre Caspi left over from another box (it didn't get finished) so I wasted some time and built a lesser mouse trap.
    The ebony was also scrap (if one can ever call it that), and I figured I jazz it up some.
    Anyway, here it is, a "non-box"

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0203W.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	798077 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0200W.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	798076

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

A beautiful piece Bruce. Really like the grain and finish.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

looks like the angle is fixed. Did you just measure your favorite angle?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Two Much
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Long Island, NY
        • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
        Since I finished my last box, "Puerta al cielo de noche" which roughly translates to "The road to your dreams at night" (kinda got a bit poetic there), and haven't come up with another one to build yet. And totally bummed out by Sandy, which only knocked out our phones and tV and internet for a few days, I decided to do something so I didn't start talking to the walls.
        For my birthday this past summer, my wife bought me a Nook Tablet. Took to leaning it against a napkin holder to stand it up in the morning. So I built a Nook holder. Took longer to finish than it took to build. Had some re-sawn Tigre Caspi left over from another box (it didn't get finished) so I wasted some time and built a lesser mouse trap.
        The ebony was also scrap (if one can ever call it that), and I figured I jazz it up some.
        Anyway, here it is, a "non-box"

[ATTACH]18295[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]18294[/ATTACH]

Bruce
        very cool....both the idea and design, as well as the finished product.

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Very nice, I like the combination of woods (you have a scrap pile that's MUCH better stocked than mine!).

Mine if I use your design for my Kindle?
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I am about to upgrade my phone to the Galaxy Note II (Have an HTC Inspire 4G which has been nice, but want an even BIGGER screen. Yeah I know, brick like, but who cares, with my eyeballs screen real estate is king...), anyway I digress, I like watching Netflix on the phone in the shop, but I am never able to get it to stand up without sliding down. Even with the kickstand that came with the Otterbox. This would be a great solution. Maybe add a pair of external speakers to the rig. Catch a little Frazier while doing my measuring / marking...

Consider this idea swiped...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              looks like the angle is fixed. Did you just measure your favorite angle?
              I actually sat down and placed the Nook at the most comfortable angle against my trusty napkin holder and measured the angle with a sliding bevel.

Anyone know a way to cut the dado at a pre determined angle, without using a stacked dado on the table saw.

As to the design, consider it in "Public Domain", I doubt I can lay claim to the design, as I probably swiped it from somewhere.
              Or, if you prefer, consider it an early Christmas gift.

Bruce

I also toyed with the idea of making a compartment to hold the charger/A/C adapter. Just ran out of steam when I came to that part.
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Shep
                • Nov 2008
                • Columbus, OH
                • Hitachi C10FL

I like it!
                -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I like the stand and might make one but for now, I use this with my Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet:

It works OK but the tablet doesn't stay in the notches that hold it at an angle if you move around (I'm usually using it on my gut in the recliner). I also have a Zagg Flex keyboard for it and the case for the keyboard is a stand for the tablet. It works better as a stand.

A "real" stand would work even better, however.

Netflix works pretty well on my tablet, by the way.

Jim

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2003
                    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                    • BT3100

Jim, If I saw that for my Nook, I'd probably have gotten it. And I would have made the stand for holding cook books. Although I'd had to use Poly as the top coat and not just my usual 3 coats of Watco and two coats of Liberon wax.

Bruce
                    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Zenaca
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • Idaho

That is one nice looking piece you came up with there. I really like it!!!!!!

Now why didn't i think of that! I made something similar a couple years ago for the wife's little hand held poker game just a couple pieces of pine traced the shape of the game and used the router to hollow out for the game to sit snugly in.

I guess i will have to borrow your design kinda, and make one for my kindle to sit in.

Now just where i will find such nice scrap i don't know yet but i will look around to see what we can come up with. Cause a book deserves a little nicer stand .

Bud
                      Last edited by Zenaca; 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                        • Grizzly G1023SL

REALLY nice Bruce! Using "scraps"/ffcuts is one of my favorite things.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
                        "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                        Bade Millsap
                        Bulverde, Texas
                        => Bade's Personal Web Log
                        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2003
                          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by Zenaca
                          That is one nice looking piece you came up with there. I really like it!!!!!!

Now why didn't i think of that! I made something similar a couple years ago for the wife's little hand held poker game just a couple pieces of pine traced the shape of the game and used the router to hollow out for the game to sit snugly in.

I guess i will have to borrow your design kinda, and make one for my kindle to sit in.

Now just where i will find such nice scrap i don't know yet but i will look around to see what we can come up with. Cause a book deserves a little nicer stand .

Bud

First, many thanks for the nice words, its good hearing other woodworkers opinions, even if they are negative.

I get my wood from either cookwoods.com or wodworkersource.com. Both are web suppliers and in the two or three years I've been dealing with them, I've always been satisfied. Cook has a better selection and most of the stock is pictured and what you see, is what you get. A bit pricy, but I make mostly jewelry boxes and usually re-saw, so the cost isn't as bad as it seems.

Again, thanks for the kind words and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Bruce
                          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Utilitarian yet aesthetically pleasing. And, I finally got your wood sources out of you!
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• chopnhack
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • Florida
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Wonderful work! I dont know why I didnt see this the first go around, sorry for the late comment.
                              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...