Clear All
  • NewDIYer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012
    • Southington, CT
    • Ryobi BT3000

Comments appreciated!

Folks,

The attached two are my first 2 projects. Your comments are appreciated.

Also, in my previous post, it was indicated to have an outfeed table on my saw. Question is - what is the size of this table? Will a 3 x 4 do? At one point the outfeed table may come in the way of the SMT.

Thanks again.
    Attached Files
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the majority of long stuff you would want a outfeed table for is long 2x4 and stuff, so a foot-wide outfeed table would work for that. The other stuff is sheet goods. I really don't like to break down full sized (4'x8') sheets of anything but if you do then a big outfeed table is nice. But for 90% of what I do a 4foot long by 1 foot wide outfeed would work well (don't forget that some of the outfed wood can hang over the sides of the outfeed table, as long as the centger of gravity is over the table then it will support the outfeed.

I'd say make the outfeed table a bit lower (1/4" ) than your saw top and bevel the front edge so sagging items (thin sheets, limber pieces of lumber) won't catch on the lip.

Yes, on a BT3 the SMT travel will need way to get around a outfeed table.

As for breaking down large sheets, I always use the mental concept of moving wood, fixed saw vs fixed wood, moving saw. A large sheet of 3/4" thick plywood is hard to move accurately so its best cut with a hand circular (moving) saw and a guide.
    But a 1' x 4' piece of plywood is easily handled so move the wood on a fixed (table) saw.

A miter saw has a moving saw and the wood is fixed; that's why I prefer it for breaking down (crosscutting) 8-foot pieces of lumber as opposed to moving an 8-foot board on the SMT over the fixed table saw blade.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-26-2012, 12:30 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

Nice work, you are on your way now. Just a little tip, on legs such as your shelf unit, a slight chamfer or beval all the way around on the bottom will help prevent the leg from splitting where is contacts the floor, will look a little fancier too.
      I like an outfeed roller over a table. Easy to adjust and store when not used.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I'm not sure what your second picture is showing. The first picture being a very nice looking small white table is quite nice though.

But the second picture looks to me, like you are fastening your "legs" into what appears to be the edges of "chip" or "particle" board. If that is the case, my experience tells me that will lead to some problems, as there is very little integrity and strength to such. (But, you may have a horizontal piece of solid wood running underneath the edges of the flat... I can't tell by the angle of the photo.)

Regarding the "outfeed table" issue, I too use a roller stand, as it is what I have and can quickly be set up and removed as needed. My shop is in the basement and thus rather small, so the BT needs to be moved as requirements dictate.

However, the roller stand simply isn't good enough for anything other than longer rips. I would much prefer an outfeed table, especially if it could be folded down or quickly installed and removed, as my BT either put to use or stored out of the way.

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 07-26-2012, 02:53 PM.
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

I use the Ridgid Flip Top Work Support as an outfeed support. Takes up very little room when folded, and the top is very slick. I've waxed the top once in the last seven or eight years.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

The size and positioning of your outfeed table might depend on what you cut the most. If you have the room, you could make a folding table. You can get a folding leg kit at HD and make the top any size you want. You may have to add spacers for the height.

Comment

• NewDIYer
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2012
              • Southington, CT
              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the input..

Thanks everyone for the input thus far.

For the outfeed table I was looking to make a folding table. The input thus far is very helpful.

The first project was made to have the side support moveable but since then I have screwed them down to make a more rigid table.

The second is a rolling cart which hides under the dining table (it is a granite nonmoveable table) and will store bread maker and waffel maker). Will not carry too much weight. The wood was a 1 x 8 by 3/4 and the casters were found at home).

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

Nice project.
                I use two rollers on stands. Mine are from Harbor freight and are the ones with a triangle base, it's more stable on a rough floor but the folding base are much easier to store. I use a board that hooks on to the bottom=back of the back rail and a bracket sits on the support for the roller so a long piece coming off the saw is lifted to the roller and then it glides smoothly off the saw. The second one is nice to but behind you to support a long piece as you feed it into the saw, have to remember to keep them perpendicular to the blade so they do not try to skew the work to one side or the other.

With two you can put them to the left of the saw with a board on top then use them to support a long piece when you crosscut or cut down a sheet of ply. The ply sits on the board and the board rolls on the rollers, just have to be sure the board is long enough to not fall off before you are done cutting.

Should you decide to make an out-feed table I would make a cabinet on casters that is the right height and then it can be moved out of the way and is also useful for storing your tools. It's also a nice way to practice making a cabinet and drawers or doors or whatever.

Bill on the left coast

Comment

• aiyou
                  SawdustZone Patron
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Charlotte, NC
                  • BT3100

Fold-down Outfeed Table Plan

I had stumbled across this years ago, and printed it out at the time. The original site is now gone, but the plans are available through the web archive project.

This fold down outfeed can be attached to the back of your BT3 stand...probably easier with the box-like stand from the 3000, but could probably be modified for the splayed leg 3100 or other saw as needed. Plan can be found through the following link, then click the 'Extension Table' for a pdf.

Wood working site for Beginner to Intermediate Woodworkers and Wood Turners

Don't know if the original poster was (and perhaps still is) a member here - perhaps some others will recognize the site.

Rob

Comment

• Warren W
                    Handtools only
                    • Dec 2011

Wow that does look pretty nice.
                    I love you not because of who you are,but because of who I am when I am with you.

Comment

• DookieTx1911
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jul 2012
                      • Northern Arizona
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cwsmith
                      But the second picture looks to me, like you are fastening your "legs" into what appears to be the edges of "chip" or "particle" board. If that is the case, my experience tells me that will lead to some problems, as there is very little integrity and strength to such. (But, you may have a horizontal piece of solid wood running underneath the edges of the flat... I can't tell by the angle of the photo.)
                      CWS
                      Take a closer look...

Comment

Working...