• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Another idea borrowed

Woodpeckers makes some neat stuff. Some of it they do a one-time order where they gather orders and place a one time buy to maximize their volume discounts on machining costs and minimize stocking costs since every item ordered already has a buyer. Still the machined aluminum parts tend to be expensive.
    A few weeks back i posted a router bit vise I copied with a wooden version that did the same thing for just a couple of dollars and scrap wood as their $100 version.

Here's a new one:

These solid aluminum jig blocks are the newest limited production One-Time Tools from Woodpeckers, and they're sure to save you a lot of time creating perfect radiused corners on your projects.
    The radius jigs allow you to draw perfect layout lines without fooling with a compass, and better yet, you can use your router table and a flush trim bit to directly rout corners without tedious sanding and shaping.
    The edges of the jig drop over the edges of the board, and slight pressure away from the corner instantly aligns the curved edge of the jig with the straight edge of the board without the need for clamps or fasteners.Your flush trim router bit then copies the radius on the jig, perfectly blending the rounded corner to the straight edge of the board.
    Each jig is CNC machined from a solid block of aluminum to ensure perfect alignment and long term accuracy.This radius jig is approximately 4"x4".
    Orders will be accepted only through Monday, July 18, then Woodpeckers will be making them to order and we expect to be able to ship them in mid-September.This will not be a stocked item, so don't miss out!
    Made in USA.

A set of these was $150 bucks.
    Actually I found a nice set for $37 shipped at Infinity): http://www.infinitytools.com/Corner-...tinfo/CRT-001/

I always marked corners using a marking template like this but it required freehand final sanding with a spindle sander which one slip could ruin the piece and always required steady hands and patience.
    I made my templates described here using the marking template, so I was required sanding once forever after rather than four times for every work piece.

Yeah the Commercial templates are nice and precise, but my marked and sanded corners were always good enough. And, the Woodpeckers had 2 radii per template but only 1/8" difference... I would think 1/4" steps would be good enough and wished they had placed wider spacing on the same template... such as 3/4 and 1" and they could have put 7/8 and 1-1/8 on another template for those wishing smaller steps. To cover 1/2 to 1-1/2 have to buy 6 templates for about $155 with 1/8 inch steps, or three with 1/4 steps and they could have made another 3 with 1/8" in-between steps for those that wanted them.

Here's the results of my build (set of 5 with 3/4 to 1-3/4 by 1/4") for use with a 1/2" top bearing flush trim bit:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-10-2011, 04:56 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Cool idea for table router use.

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

The $27 deal (and yours of course ), look MUCH safer to use than the Woodpeckers, IMHO.

BTW Although I use various methods to mark corners, I rough cut on the TS and then finish using a DISK sander rather than a spindle. Years of practice and I get them "spot on".
      Last edited by RodKirby; 07-10-2011, 05:50 PM.
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• jnesmith
        • Jan 2003
        • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Thanks for the info. I considered buying the Woodpeckers, but also thought they were pricey. I considered making some, but they would be way down my todo list. Just bought the Infinity's.
        John

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Very good idea indeed.

I agree with Rod that a disc sander is the proper way to create an outside radius, but this method seems like it'd me faster, more accurate, and far more repeatable.

I like the idea of the solid aluminum block versus either the acrylic or the wood versions, but I agree that the cost is waaaay too high on the Woodpecker stuff. (I love their products, not their prices).

The Infinity product doesn't seem like it has enough room for the bit to move onto the flat portion of the corner...

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

I really enjoy getting email from woodpeckers, they go into a folder in the inbox labeled jig ideas!
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• steve-norrell
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • The Great Land - Alaska
              • BT3100-1

I have the set from Infinity and found it to be almost always satisfactory. I say almost because I occasionally have to do some minor sanding to smooth out the edges of the radii. I greatly prefer the templates to drawing the radius and sanding with a disk or spindle.

I don't know if the Woodpeck templates are precise enough so that occasional sanding would be unnecessary, but I have found their products to be of very high quality, although a bit pricey. I suspect that the Woodpeck templates would be justifiable in a shop that did lots and lots of radiused corners.

IMO, it would be hard for me to justify the cost difference between the Infinity and Woodpeck products.

Regards, Steve.

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by steve-norrell
                I have the set from Infinity and found it to be almost always satisfactory. I say almost because I occasionally have to do some minor sanding to smooth out the edges of the radii. I greatly prefer the templates to drawing the radius and sanding with a disk or spindle.

I don't know if the Woodpeck templates are precise enough so that occasional sanding would be unnecessary, but I have found their products to be of very high quality, although a bit pricey. I suspect that the Woodpeck templates would be justifiable in a shop that did lots and lots of radiused corners.

IMO, it would be hard for me to justify the cost difference between the Infinity and Woodpeck products.

Regards, Steve.

How close does your hand get to the bit?
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by jussi
                  How close does your hand get to the bit?
                  Not very close at all. I use double-sided tape to hold the template in place. I prefer using both hands to 'steer' the work piece around the router bit.

Regards, Steve.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

FWIW, amazon has the same template jig set as Infinity for $10 less, like $19.99, shipping $6-something. shipped by Peachtree. But its not in the peachtree website.

Anyway, at that price its hardly worth making your own.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• uglystick
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Garland, TX, USA
                      • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      ...its not in the peachtree website.

Anyway, at that price its hardly worth making your own.
                      Here's the link on the Peachtree site for same price, about 1/4 down the page, #2897:
                      Peachtree Woodworking Supply is your one stop supply shop for all your woodworking needs.
                      -Kendall

Comment

Working...