• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop organizer cabinets.

I recently finished up a pair of peg board / clamshell type cabinets from plans I got from a Wood Magazine special publication a few years ago. I still need the catches on the one on the right, but other than that, it's done. I did this to free up my peg board on the wall. I need to reduce the use of that wall because LOML has deemed that the freezer MUST go in the shop.. Great now I have to figure out how to keep from clogging the freezer's coils up with dust...
    Anyway, here they are all mounted up. The one on the left is loaded up, and conceals my 39 drawer small parts bins, the one on the right has shelves inside for things like finishes etc...

Both cabinets closed.

Left cabinet open, notice I only used the outer doors for this one. No need for inners as the small parts bins would have been in the way.

My router table fence with 4" dust port sits between them. This is temporary while I figure out storage for router accesories. In the long run, I want to build a plane till for this space.

Right cabinet outer doors open. Sorry drill press is in the way of the door opening all the way...

Right cabinet inner doors open. Like I said, TON of peg board space in here. The right cab still needs catches, but is otherwise done, which is why I don't have it loaded...
    Last edited by dbhost; 06-17-2011, 01:38 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That looks nothing less than fabulous! I've seen and admired them in the magazine, and would have sworn you had bought these from them!

But I thought we are the 'show, not tell' people : how about pics with the doors open?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

The cabinets look good, great for the shop. What's that dedicated box in between them?

For your coils on the fridge, you might pick up one of the horsehair A/C filters that you can cut to size with a scissors. Bad thing about shop dust is that some is very fine, and sooner or later it all falls down, drifting ever so lightly through the air until it finds a resting place.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

THing in the center looks like a router fence with dust port.

Dust in the cooling coils/fins of the freezer is a concern and will require more maintenance than usual. So instead of cleaning it 0 times in 1 year I suggest you decrease the interval to clean it 0 times every three months .

BTW, putting the freezer next to the lathe in the woodshop means you can claim the rights to put the thickness planer next to the toaster oven in the kitchen.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by cabinetman
          The cabinets look good, great for the shop. What's that dedicated box in between them?
          I think that's his router fence.

They look good David. Did you do pegboard inside the doors too?
          Erik

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Okay guys, I updated the first post with more pics. Yeah that's my router fence. I don't recall if I ever posted it up here, but I finished that a few months ago... It works great!
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Cool, thanks for the pics. That's a whole lot more storage area than just a pegboard on a wall. I wish I did piano hinges on mine. A couple of mine are starting to sag, but with the self closing hinges I didn't need to mess with catches.

You might put a felt strip or two under your planes to keep the iron off the wood and to let air circulate underneath.
              Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I know I need to do something, just wasn't sure what... I need to sit down with Sketchup and design the plane tote, I am figuring on spray flocking it where the planes will touch, with a routed relief immediately under the irons. However, a simpler way might be to just use a flat bottom lined with thick felt. I can get that at Ace Hardware and just about any fabric shop...

I had to remove my individual router bits and my bit cases to make room for these cabinets. I want to eventually build a full on cabinet for the table saw. I want to include storage for all the router stuff... The fence, bit sets etc...

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Okay, so I went ahead and grabbed felt from Home Depot. Their biggest piece is simply NOT big enough. I think I need to go to a fabric store and grab a yard of heavy felt. Probably glue it down with Super 77 Spray Adhesive.

I am NOT liking where I mounted the second cabinet, it forced me into moving my band saw, drill press, and lathe, and I am NOT liking this arrangement. I prefer the lathe closest to the door. It's just more comfortable for me to use there. Not to mention less walking back and forth for drilling accessories and such. So I am SERIOUSLY thinking about pulling the second cabinet, and moving it down to the corner of the wall, so that I can move the lathe, band saw, and DP back where I had them, and liked having them...

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

I just used a couple small strips of felt for my planes on the bottom shelf. I placed it at the toe. It elevates the iron off the shelf and allows air to circulate underneath.

I know that feeling about arrangement. I've had a few bright ideas that sure did stink in the end.
                    Erik

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2007
                      • Tacoma, WA
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                      I am NOT liking where I mounted the second cabinet,
                      A while back I was reading about how kitchens got screwed up and we wound up with the K-cabinets most of us have in our kitchens now. It seems that after WW2 the track housing had no pantries and something had to be done for storage and work top space and the modern kitchen was born. Works sort of well for most everything but is ideal for nothing. It got me to thinking and I realized that the best kitchens I have been in were the designer kitchens where they broke away from the norm and created a good work space with what you need close to hand. The author of the article felt that the crime had spread into too much of our life offices that looked like kitchens were terribly inefficient, the best being the desk with a thousand cubbyholes with all you need close to you. It seems to me that garage shops have succumbed to kitchenites. It works only to the extent that you can store everything and still get the car in the garage.

Now I really like the ideas that David has incorporated in his cabinets and if we ever sell out house and get into another I plan on stealing the design concept and try to incorporate it into cabinetry under a work table or bench. Something along the idea of a cubbyhole desk morphed into a woodworking space.

It will be interesting to see how David's shop evolves.

Bill
                      i have come to realize that my shop space is not a mess, rather it is a mess trying to function as a shop

Comment

• 3thumbs
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2008
                        • Northern Colorado
                        • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

I built that same cabinet a couple of years ago. I couldn't find the unpainted pegboard so I used the white stuff. Works very well.
                        DM
                        Attached Files

Comment

• tommyt654
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2008

Nice cabinets,Good to see ya made them instead of just buying something to hang on the wall,Well done

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I used white peg board. It's unpainted on the back...

Comment

• chopnhack
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • Florida
                              • Ryobi BT3100

The shop is coming along nicely DB
                              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...