• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tlt
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Tucson, Arizona.
    • Delta 36-682

Shep -- I've heard about people filtering with a cheese cloth or a coffee filter. I initially tried the coffee filter method myself, and it backed up really quickly and I ended up with a big vinegary mess all over the place! If you try it and have some luck, I'd love to hear what worked for you. A cheese cloth is probably the way to go...For me, the "clean up" wipe down is a chance to make sure I didn't miss any spots sanding.

Big Tim -- I've used aniline dyes and they work great and give you control over the color. But if you're going for an ebony finish, this method is dirt cheap and an easy way to match other pieces I've made before.

Comment

• Rand
      Established Member
      • May 2005
      • Vancouver, WA, USA.

It looks great.

It looks like it would be easy to knock over if you hit it with your elbow while sitting in the recliner. Is it?

Thanks for the tips about ebonizing.
      Rand
      "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

That looks great! 90° from the ones I've made but for a chair I don't see how you could do anything different. Was that your idea or have you seen others that were wide rather than long. An example of what I'm talking about.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• tlt
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Tucson, Arizona.
          • Delta 36-682

Rand - That's them physics I was confused by So far, so good. You wouldn't think so, but between those little tabs behind the vertical uprights and the way it wedges underneath the chair, it's actually much sturdier than the TV tray I was using before. To make it even more sturdy, you could replace the frame on the bottom with a solid (heavy) base.

Black wallnut - The width/length proportions for the top were my own idea. And your couch table was one of the designs I used for inspiration -- thanks!

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
            • Dec 2002
            • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
            • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by tlt
            . . . it represents what I love most about woodworking -- the ability to custom fit a project to your needs. The table was ebonized using the vinegar and steel wool method, and finished with General Finishes poly/oil blend.
            Ain't it great to be able to make a piece for a spot of specific dimensions? Yours is a great example. ..and I love the ebonized finish; I'll have to try that.
            ==========
            ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
            Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Very nice design. Consider it stolen (the sincerest form of flattery, etc, afterall!), but the talent? Could I get a loan on that?
              Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

Working...