Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Tom Slick
    (But only a little bit)

I needed a reloading tray and had some scrap red oak. A little cut here, 50 holes drilled there, some router work, and voila.
    I'm curious as to how you did all the repetitive holes. Did you mark them all? Just eyeball them? Or did you use a stop block and spacers? etc?

I like learning how others go about doing tasks like all those holes.
    Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pelligrini
      I'm curious as to how you did all the repetitive holes. Did you mark them all? Just eyeball them? Or did you use a stop block and spacers? etc?

My approach to doing an array of holes like that:
      use Brad point drill bits which are easy to locate the center,
      or else use a laser indicator showing and "X" for drill center, or both...

MArk the vertical lines across the short dimension.

Mark a small mark on the long dimension - don't need horizontals lines, just a mark indicating each row; the fence will provide the line..

Use a drill press with a good fence.

Align the first row by positioning the bit point/laser on the first row mark and set the fence so you will drill this row.
      Slide the workpiece along the fence to the first vertical line, drill the hoel using the DP depth stop. Slide to the next vertical ine and repeat until the row is done. If there's a row on the opposite side the same distance from the edge, flip the piece 180 degrees and drill that row.

Repeat, aligning the fence and the DP to the next row. and repeat drilling the line of holes.

THis process will go very quickly. With the laser or the brad point you can position the vertical line very accurately and the rows will be positioned extrememly will with the fence as a guide.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-21-2010, 04:01 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I draw a grid, 10 lines one way, 5 the other. The holes are 1" apart and the rule is 1" wide so once you layout your first line you use the rule's width to draw the rest. I set the depth stop on the drill press and drilled them with a brad point. Once you figure out what your layout is going to be it only takes 10 mins to mark and drill them. It's not real precise but it doesn't need to be.

I show pictures of the die holder box I'm building once it's done.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          when i make stuff for woodworking i like it to be precise.
          like when i made a peg game (like the ones at Cracker barrel) using wooden golf Tees I bought tees and calipered them by actual size into bins and used numbered drills to make them fit precisely - used a matched set of pegs for a specific board - it was a slick fit.

The trays I make the holes are slightly oversized to allow for easy insertion of drill bits or router bits.

On the DP, I might take one spacer the width to make the closest row, and just place it against the fence instead of moving the fence. For the next row, just rip the spacer narrower. Or, the different size spacers could be cut in advance and be ready to use.

The marks are just measured off laterally. Depending on the size and complexity of the pattern, it may be simpler to do it that way instead of configuring a stop pin of some sort.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

OK,

I've got some 1" flip stops and other fixed stops I'll use for spacing 1" holes. I also have a bunch of MDF spacers at 1/2" and 3/4" I'll use for other those spacings.

I'll usually start drilling on the centerlines so I can just flip the piece around to get equidistant spacings. Move the fence back once and do the lateral lines on each side.
            Erik

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

Here's a box I made to hold the reloading dies. I use a Hornady "lock and load" press so each die uses a special bushing. After you install that bushing there are no off-the-shelf boxes to store the dies.
              The box is scraps of cherry finished with boiled linseed oil.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...