• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
    Thanks I make a template from 1/2" MDF and use an over-head bearing after I draw the finalized template pattern on the piece and cut to within 1mm outside the line... attach template to piece and if you oriented the grain correctly I have never had a blow-out considering the bit is only biting off 1 mm.
    Yeah, I thought about that, but the coin toss went the other way.

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
    Now.. you say don't cut and wipe straight from the bottle which is the key word here. So... you are not using Mini-wax water base from the quart can obviously.
    Yep, it's a squirt bottle. Good review in a bake-off in FWW issue #178.

JR

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks for the links JR. I was not aware of the wipe on water base.. have not seen it on the shelves (then again.. I wasn't really looking as I don't use water base) but I will have a look. Now to return that can of water base and get my money back...

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Well JR... after doing some home-work looks like the wiping water based from Mini is only available in CA... I guess they don't want to add additional air pollutants to the L. A. smog. haha Just one more question as Mini-wax states the water based brushing is crystal clear and the reason I chose it for some curly maple... does the water based wipe have a slight hint of amber to it?.....

Again.. just curious as they do not specifically state is is crystal clear as they do the brush on in the can. I may do some experimenting with cutting the brush on with dis-tilled water on scrap to see how it reacts and the nature of the results.

Again... many thanks for your assistance in anwering questions and nice job on that quilt rack...

Regards...

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Sarge, it had the fourth lightest color among the 16 products tested by FWW. In this case I had stained the wood, which is kind of rare for me, so I don't have real good handle on the color of the top coat, but it seemed very transparent to me, offering very little color.

We do have some stringent regulations regarding the solvent content of finishes in CA. It means we don't have access to many of the available products in the market. OTOH, LOML and I were driving in LA few days ago and remarked that we were able to see mountains that for many years were hidden behind a brown veil on summer days. Ya gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.

JR
          JR

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks for the reply JR. I will do some experimentation and if that doesn't work out.. I may go to pure tung oil and burnish it all the way up to 4000 grit. This is not a table-top.. etc. so a hard, non-abrasive top coat is not a critical factor.

Much thanks...

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

JR, absolutely beautiful work. I couldn't see the mistakes you describe and only wish my mistakes were so inconspicuous. Are there any plans available. I would like to make one of these. Thanks.
              Richard
              Richard

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Originally posted by phrog
                Are there any plans available.
                Check your PM.

JR
                JR

Comment

• DUD
                  Royal Jester
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

JR

That is a very nice piece of furniture. I grew up in a home with My Mother quilting or

piecing a quilt every afternoon when I got off the school bus. Those times are missed,

somewhere I have the plans for a quilting frame, not like Mothers that hung from the

ceiling, but sit on sawhorses. Bill
                  5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

JR,

That's really elegant. Nice simple flowing lines. I particularly like the inside corners on the side panels, nice trick.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

Wow, that is VERY nice looking. I've seen racks like that for sale that didn't look nearly that nice.
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher
                      http://splash54.multiply.com
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...