• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Quilt Rack

This is a gift for my sister, who retired last week. She is a very avid quilter and she seemed to really like this red oak stand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quilt Rack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	796949

I have to admit that the opposing 30 degree half laps made for some complicated joinery. I ended up puttying over my failings. This shot shows the most egregious joints. Also note the glob on the underside of the forward curve where I had some tearout. Sigh.

All the cross pieces are attached with dowels. I have a heckuva time with dowels, but couldn't figure any other way to do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Joinery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	796950

Coincidentally, I used all Minwax finishing products on this piece. Golden Oak stain and matching putty, for obvious reasons. I used the water-based gloss poly, which was highly rated in FWW recently. It worked well, notably drying withiin the advertised three hours. This really sped up finishing as compared to an oil-based varnish. In fact, it tended to flash off in mid wipe, which led me to put on a lot more than I was used to.

As usual, comments of any kind and questions are welcomed.

JR
    JR
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

That's a right nice rack. Well done and a nice gift. Loose tenons might have been a bit easier than dowels.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

Nice work.

The sign of a craftsman is the ability to cover up his mistakes.

Bill

just a wee bit north of you in Oregon

Comment

• Larryl
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Lorena, TX, USA.
        • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Nice work, bet your sister is proud of it. A mistake is simply a design correction.
        I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• docrowan
          • Mar 2007
          • New Albany, MS
          • BT3100

I've looked harder at the pictures than I normally would due to you pointing out the errors. I still can't see them. Nice job!
          - Chris.

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

looks great to me also JR. Echo what Chris wrote.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

Looks great. I usually build quilt racks as wedding gifts and you can be sure this design will be placed in the back of my head.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

I guess my photography skills are, thankfully, worse than my joinery!

I normally do a lot of boxes, requiring perfect workmanship. Larger projects like this can stand a little slop. I rarely use putty, but in this case it was required. I suppose it's the realization of actually having to use it, more than the sloppy joints, that shocked me.

Cabinetman, I noodled through a number of M&T possibilities, but making mortises on a 30 degree angle with only a bumch of curves to register against just defeated me. I ended up using a doweling jig clamped into place. It actually went reasonably well, but I always find it difficult to get all the holes aligned and drilled in proper plane. I cranked down my clamps to the max to overcome the angular displacement.

Richard, the rising cross members are meant to display more of the quilt on the rear two rungs. My sister agreed that was a great feature.

Thanks for the kind comments, all!

JR
                JR

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

That really is a gorgeous rack... (I'll have you know that the last time I made that observation, I got slapped... )

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Don't see any mistakes. You must be mistaken about mistakes.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jabe
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Hilo, Hawaii
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Good Job!!! I'm of the same opinion as Mr. Bill.

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

The curved shape to the top of the ends really drew my eye to them. Very graceful!
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nice job on the initial execution and the recovery JR... did the tear-out on the curve come from using a template and bearing pattern bit? Just curious.. And you mention wiping water based poly. I am within a week of using water based poly for the first time since I around 1998 when I brushed it with less than satisfactory results. I understand they have made improvements in the water base since then.

If you had success wiping it describe the procedure briefly if you don't mind. Do you cut it or out of the can.. type of wipe cloth.. etc.. etc. I will be in the shop all day so I'll catch an answer latter but thanks in advance.

Again... well done on the rack!

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

Sarge, I used a jigsaw for that inner curve. The problem is that the half-lap and the curve are meant to taper together, leaving a weak piece a tthe joint. I forget if the mistake happened when cutting or running it through the OSS for final shaping.

I used the wipe-on poly right out of the bottle, with an old t-shirt as an applicator. Sanded to 220, stain left on overnight. Sand with 220 between coats. To me oil-based poly feels like it's penetrating. The water-based didn't feel that way - it just sort of lays there.

I wouldn't cut it, it flahes off very quickly. A few swipes with a wet applicator and it started to drag. I seemed to be able to put a lot on the wood without undue buildup or streaks. Of course, this means you have to be careful on subsequent coats not to put too much in the corners. I had to battle "nibs" in the corners on the later coats.

I used gloss, about four or five coats. I had planned to put satin on top, but the gloss wasn't a really plastic look, so I left it.

HTH,
                            JR
                            JR

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by JR
                              Sarge, I used a jigsaw for that inner curve. The problem is that the half-lap and the curve are meant to taper together, leaving a weak piece a tthe joint. I forget if the mistake happened when cutting or running it through the OSS for final shaping.

I used the wipe-on poly right out of the bottle, with an old t-shirt as an applicator. Sanded to 220, stain left on overnight. Sand with 220 between coats. To me oil-based poly feels like it's penetrating. The water-based didn't feel that way - it just sort of lays there.

I wouldn't cut it, it flahes off very quickly. A few swipes with a wet applicator and it started to drag. I seemed to be able to put a lot on the wood without undue buildup or streaks. Of course, this means you have to be careful on subsequent coats not to put too much in the corners. I had to battle "nibs" in the corners on the later coats.

I used gloss, about four or five coats. I had planned to put satin on top, but the gloss wasn't a really plastic look, so I left it.

HTH,
                              JR
                              Thanks for the clarification on the blow-out. I make a template from 1/2" MDF and use an over-head bearing after I draw the finalized template pattern on the piece and cut to within 1mm outside the line... attach template to piece and if you oriented the grain correctly I have never had a blow-out considering the bit is only biting off 1 mm. But.. you had a totally different situation with the joinery of the tapered curves. I would probably have done that with a rasp.. files and spoke-shave.

Now.. you say don't cut and wipe straight from the bottle which is the key word here. So... you are not using Mini-wax water base from the quart can obviously. That's what I have and wondered if it had to be cut. When you get wiping oil poly already in the can.. it is nothing more than standard poly cut with mineral spirits at a higher price. Is there a specific poly already packaged stating wiping poly in water base? I am guessing that is what you are using.

The drag you refer too sounds similar to shellax drag when wiping. You have to soak your wipe cloth in denatured alcohol and wring it out often or the shellac dries so fast it will drag and make a general mess if you are not experienced with it. I assume the cloth you wet was done with dis-stilled water to prevent the drag as water is the solvent for water base.

Anyhoo.. coffee is over and back to the 81 degree shop as glue-up's and strecher templating await me... Ain't getting hot.. sweaty and covered with saw-dust fun.. haha

Thanks and catch you latter JR...

Comment

Working...