• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

My $6 Custom Branding Iron! :) :)

Back in this thread I asked you all for input on a new branding iron design. (After I realized that I could no longer look at that design without seeing Mr. Peanut, I decided to ask my 5-year old which of my other designs he liked best.)

I mentioned that I was going to use a service in the Netherlands called Shapeways to "print" a stainless steel iron instead of shelling out nearly $200 for a custom Rockler iron. I said I would let you all know how it turned out.

Well, I couldn't be happier right now!!

The order arrived in the mail today. I tapped it, stuck it on a rod, and into a handle I turned from scrap yesterday, and after only a couple of "test burns" I ended up with what I consider to be an excellent result.

And yes -- you read the subject correctly. This particular branding iron cost $6, shipping included (although it was a $25 minimum order). Because of the minimum order I also picked up a couple other models to check out the different materials, and one other branding iron that I plan to try next.

I have a some full-size pictures plus a few more pictures on my website at http://www.thefrankes.com/wp/?p=1883. Let me know what you think! Sometime over the next few days I'm going to put up a step-by-step tutorial on the same blog site.
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Thats way cool Alex, I,m in the market for one in a few mo,s myself, When the time comes I,ll p.m. you for all the details,Tommyt

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Very classy Alex. What metal seems to work best? How did you tell them that you wanted the text in reverse?
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

THAT is super sharp Alex!

Your design and style looks terrific. Gotta check into those irons. (Looks like you've started something here.)

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Definitely classier than Mr. Peanut Your son has good design sense.

Bill.

Comment

• Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Very classy Alex. What metal seems to work best? How did you tell them that you wanted the text in reverse?
            Shapeways only prints in stainless steel, so that's the one I used. So far it seems to work just fine.

They basically just print what you send them. I modeled the part with the text backwards using Alibre Design, which is a 3D parametric modeling application. (They have a free version that is feature limited but should work find for this type of work.) Shapeways just printed the model that I sent them. Here's an example of that the model looks like before you send it up to shapeways for printing...

"Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you are interested in electrically heating it:

here's some soldering iron heating elements from Ungar.
              http://www.action-electronics.com/unpl.htm

You would probably be interested in the 2-wire handle (7760) and a 50-watt thread on (37UG) heating element which you might then tap your brand for.

I measured my electrically heated brand and it drew 130 W. But the brand looks to be quite a bit bigger than yours. Mines about 1.5" x 3/4" and takes about 10 minutes to heat to a usable temp.

50W might heat your size brand in a similar time.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

That is awesome!

Something else to add to my list of to-dos.

Comment

• herb fellows
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • New York City
                  • bt3100

Cool! What was the size of it? Do they offer other sizes? Any limit to the intricacy of the design?
                  You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• toolbelt diva
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Houston, TX, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Oh how awesome and cool! The pictures on your blog are great. I'd love to make a brand to use on my future projects, but I'm not a designer and the 3D software looks intimidating, so I can't wait for your step by step instructions.
                    Rita

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Outstanding post on all fronts! That's less money than my $8 rubber stamp, and is the real deal.
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

That came out great, Alex! Did you also have to design in that little stub on
                        the back, too?

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

That's extremely nice Alex. I prefer just signing the work with a sharpie on bare wood hidden from view and then finish coating over it but.... the latest trend sends to be toward something as you have. On top of being a very nice design the price couldn't have been better.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Originally posted by herb fellows
                            Cool! What was the size of it? Do they offer other sizes? Any limit to the intricacy of the design?
                            The "AF" brand itself is 1/2" wide, and the "afranke" brand is 1" wide. (I wanted the mark to be inconspicuous.)

For the stainless steel, shapeways lists the "minimum detail" as 1mm (4/100 inch). Some of the detail on the branding iron is probably smaller than that and it still came out quite nice.

They can print anything from a few millimeters (cube) to 100cm x 45cm x 25cm (~39in x 18in x 10in)

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                            That came out great, Alex! Did you also have to design in that little stub on the back, too?
                            Yes, I did. I put some holes in it to reduce the amount of material (save a little money) and to tap for a set screw if necessary. But as it turns out I was able to tap the larger mounting hole in the back deep enough to hold on a threaded rod.

Comment

• lrogers
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Mobile, AL. USA.
                              • BT3000

Very classy Alex!
                              Larry R. Rogers
                              The Samurai Wood Butcher
                              http://splash54.multiply.com
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment