Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

Nice box Jon.. I like the over-all contrast of the woods including the cedar. You kind of threw me for a loop when you said you were experimenting with some new techniques. I looked for them and then realized you were probably referring to techniques you had never tried. That's my guess anyway.

This came out well and would make nice Xmas gifts. I'm finishing a project now and may have to lay off the next to do some Xmas gifts as you can't get started too soon but you can get started "too late" for sure.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by JR
      I like it! Wonderful use of those "rustic" woods to make a well-finished product.

I wonder if youi're wrestling, as I am, with how to do lifts and/or pulls on a box like this. I've tried embedding a tab in the middle of the top, as well embedding one in the front, both with limited success. I've kind of settled on a cove along the seem in the front as a fairly fool-proof finger hold, but I'm not happy with that, either. Do you have thoughts along these lines?

JR
      Box making is not my forte JR.. but this is how I handled the finger catch on the two small boxes I made last Xmas for my wife and favorite niece. Just an idea as this was done on the drill press with table cant of 30* degree's if I remember correctly which I may not.
      Attached Files

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
        Nice box Jon.. I like the over-all contrast of the woods including the cedar. You kind of threw me for a loop when you said you were experimenting with some new techniques. I looked for them and then realized you were probably referring to techniques you had never tried. That's my guess anyway.

This came out well and would make nice Xmas gifts. I'm finishing a project now and may have to lay off the next to do some Xmas gifts as you can't get started too soon but you can get started "too late" for sure.
        Thanks Sarge, I was refering to techniques I hadnt tried before. For example there are various methods for cutting the joint miters for box sides and the thin cedar insert. I have been trying multiple methods to see which I prefer and gets the best results. I would like to think of myself as innovative but when it comes to woodworking I'm pretty certain everything I am doing has been done before by somebody.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

That looks great. I love working with Walnut, and I too like the sapwood contrast.

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by poolhound
            Thanks Sarge, I was refering to techniques I hadnt tried before. For example there are various methods for cutting the joint miters for box sides and the thin cedar insert. I have been trying multiple methods to see which I prefer and gets the best results. I would like to think of myself as innovative but when it comes to woodworking I'm pretty certain everything I am doing has been done before by somebody.
            I also prefer an Incra gauge with a wooden sacrificial fence on the miters Jon. I cut a sacrificial piece at 45* then use the cut-off for the stop block. It does two things.. ensure the exact same lenght of the 4 sides and.. after cutting the second piece on one end at 45*.. the 45* block allows you to slip that cut 45* end up snug to the stop block so you have a meshing 45* stop block. No chance of any variance in the length which will throw a miter off slightly and create an ugly gap.

Your wise for having built you a spline jig also as it's the cat's meow when cut them.

Again.. nice job and keep up the progess. BTW.. probably no technique that hasn't already been done somewhere in 5000 years.. just most were done by hand tools in lieu of power tools which is the norm now.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

(putting on my best Texas twang...)

That sure is purty....
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

+1 on the beauty of the box, hole and all!
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

A couple of folks were asking about cutting the miters and splines. Here are some pics of the miter sled and the spline jig. I kept them both pretty simple but they do the job.
                  Attached Files
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• Brian in Dawson Creek
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Dawson Creek B.C. Canada
                    • Delta Cabinet Saw

Oh my ... I haven't been around for some time ... what a nice surprise to come back to, nicely done indeed! Borders on perfection ... not the design but the choice of wood which complements the design in every way.

Brian

Comment

Working...