• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Walnut box with spalted lid

I have been getting more into smaller projects of late and built this box primarily as an experiment using some new techniques.

The main box is walnut and the top of the lid is spalted pecan. The inside walls are aromatic cedar giving it a very "red" tone. I had this piece of pockmarked spalted pecan lying around and was going to trash the piece with the hole through it but LOML really liked it and wanted the hole featured. I guess it was never going to be air tight

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Very nice. I like the fact that the walnut still has some sapwood on it, too. The combination of the walnut and the pecan really offers a lot of visual interest.

What did you use for finish? I learned just a while ago that spalted wood is quite a sponge for wipe-on finish.

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Very nice. I like the pecan also. The joinery is interesting. Did you use a jig for that? Great job.
      Richard
      Richard

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

I like it! Wonderful use of those "rustic" woods to make a well-finished product.

I wonder if youi're wrestling, as I am, with how to do lifts and/or pulls on a box like this. I've tried embedding a tab in the middle of the top, as well embedding one in the front, both with limited success. I've kind of settled on a cove along the seem in the front as a fairly fool-proof finger hold, but I'm not happy with that, either. Do you have thoughts along these lines?

JR
        JR

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

BTW, how did you handle the cedar on the inside? Did you glue it to the walnut before cutting the miter on the sides? Or did you glue-up the sides and then miter the cedar to fit into the walnut?

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
            • Dec 2005
            • Russell, NY, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Oh that is so pretty! Not to gloat but I have two pieces of spalted maple 6" x 6" by 4' that I have been saving for the past two years just waiting for some special project. Maybe this winter would be a good time to really get to thinking!
            RuffSawn
            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery
              Very nice. I like the fact that the walnut still has some sapwood on it, too. The combination of the walnut and the pecan really offers a lot of visual interest.

What did you use for finish? I learned just a while ago that spalted wood is quite a sponge for wipe-on finish.

This project started as I was having the issues (reported earlier) with resawing. I found this piece of offcut walnut to test my new blade. It resawed perfectly and I was then able to use it to make the box. I liked the change to the sapwood and how that blended with the lighter pecan.

As this was an experimental project I didnt use any of my "good" finishes so used up what was available in the bottom of old cans. I did first seal the surfaces with some shellac and then used some rather aged wipe on satin poly. Using the seal coats on the spalted first was a good idea.

to answer your other question the cedar was added afterwards. I used the technique of first assembling the box and then bandsawing off the lid.
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery

The joints are made by first using a small miter sled and then adding the splines after glueup with a spline jig.
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by JR
                  I like it! Wonderful use of those "rustic" woods to make a well-finished product.

I wonder if youi're wrestling, as I am, with how to do lifts and/or pulls on a box like this. I've tried embedding a tab in the middle of the top, as well embedding one in the front, both with limited success. I've kind of settled on a cove along the seem in the front as a fairly fool-proof finger hold, but I'm not happy with that, either. Do you have thoughts along these lines?

JR
                  LOL - I have similar issues and I was all set to make a pull/handle to fit to the top but when I consulted LOML she said it didnt need one. Great I said and that was that.

With this size box it not really needed but I will need to continue wrestling with this as I make larger boxes and units with drawers.

I will let you know what I come up with and we can struggle together
                  Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Beautiful box, Jon! I hate it when people cut all the sap wood from a piece, especially walnut. To me, the contrast adds a lot of eye appeal to the finished piece.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• ragswl4
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Winchester, Ca
                      • C-Man 22114

IN a word, Spectacular!!
                      RAGS
                      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                      sigpic

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

That's a pretty box. I like the contrast.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
                          • Ryobi BT-3000

Thanks for sharing the box and description--a very nice way to use available materials.
                          ==========
                          ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
                          Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• bigstick509
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Macomb, MI, USA.
                            • BT3100

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• lrogers
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Mobile, AL. USA.
                              • BT3000

That is a very nice looking little box. The splines are a small detail that add so much to the over looks of the project.
                              Larry R. Rogers
                              The Samurai Wood Butcher
                              http://splash54.multiply.com
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

Working...