X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gustoid
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2009

The project took me at least three weeks, I was only able to work on weekends and some evenings... as long as it was not raining.

Comment

• cork58
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Wasilla, AK, USA.
      • BT3000

Very Very nice work! Finish looks great. Next project?
      Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• gustoid
        Forum Newbie
        • May 2009

My current project is an Arts and Crafts style dresser for my daughter.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Nice work. I can see you getting a little more room to work in (inside).

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Nothing like jumping in the deep end of the pool! A very nice looking piece built under some pretty restrictive conditions. Good job.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

That is very nice work! What is the finish?

That reminds me of my first project. I built a bookcase on my apartment balcony with a circular saw, router and hand drill.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Beats the tar out of my first "post woodshop" project. (We won't talk about the hundreds of skateboards and pencil boxes made in High School shop class...).

I rebuilt a rented pop up camper's dinette table, and the flip down stove table after a tequila induced stumble into the camper at Padre Island made the originals no longer functional. That was done with a circ saw, drill, and my old Ryobi router / Wolfcraft table.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gustoid
                  Forum Newbie
                  • May 2009

This is a very cool site. It is nice to hear that so many others began much like myself. Before posting here I had imagined that everyone had a 2000 sq ft workshop with all the top of the line tools.

It would seem that I did not provide enough detail with my original post. So I will try to add some more details.

I made the chest as a gift for my sisters wedding. I bought the plans from the internet (can't recall the site) and I made it from pine boards and pine plywood, and the legs were made from cedar. The original plan was to just lacquer it and you would see the contrast between the cedar and pine, but I ended up staining it all one colour, then a couple of coats or lacquer was applied. the inside bottom was some oak flooring scraps that I picked up for next to nothing. I should also give my wife credit for helping with the sanding and staining portions. Time was getting tight so while I was at work my wife had some time to help out. We even had to set up a tarp over the project on the deck so we could sand and stain in the rain.

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by gustoid
                    This is a very cool site. It is nice to hear that so many others began much like myself. Before posting here I had imagined that everyone had a 2000 sq ft workshop with all the top of the line tools.
                    Oh, You must mean Rod
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...