• Show
Clear All
  • Two Much
    Established Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Long Island, NY
    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Table photos warning --lots of photos

Hereis our two latest projects. The tall chess table was a restoration. It was destroyed beyond belief with numerous cigarette burns (not my fault). Through the years I did furthur damage by keeping plants on it. Most of the wood squares were up, as well as 4 of them buckled beyond belief. The head cabinet guy took it down to our worshop to replace the top, and he surprised me with a restoration. I love the fact that it was restored rather than replaced. If I knew it was going to be a restoration, rather than a replacement, I would have taken photos of the blackened severe burned and water damaged top.
    The table along with all our other antiques belonged to Cliff's Grandfather.
    The table and rocker we can trace back to 1907, how much older they are
    than 102 years old -- we're not sure.

The coffee table is walnut and mahogany. (the mahogony we picked up in front of someones house "curbside shopping.") Since there are several antiques in the Living Room,
    I wanted the table to look antique as well. I put a pic up of the way it fits into the room.
    The two curios on either side of the piano we made several years ago.
    Thanks for looking and letting me show off our projects.

I can provide the link to our website that has two woodworking pages, do I use the tag box?
    Joann
    Attached Files
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Nice work.

Is that coffee table base the piece that was acting as guardrail? It really looks good as a base again.
    Erik

Comment

• Two Much
      Established Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Long Island, NY
      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

yes, we cut it down to size and turned the legs with walnut wood. The molding to the top is a combo of walnut and mahogany.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Lovely tables, Joan! Your 'Head Cabinet Guy' has a great touch!

What material was used for the chess squares?

And that coffee table is divine. Awesome work.

And if I may say so, that room looks artful and rich, particularly with all that sunlight streaming in. French windows, I presume?

Thanks for posting.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

C&J, nice antiques, looks great in your home.

FYI, tags are used to place keywords for better searching. Tags you might use for this are "Cliff and joann, Chessboard, antiques, restoration" where the quotes would not go int he tags box, the keywords or phrases are separated by commas.

If you want to place a link, there are two ways. The easiest is just to type the link (using this website as an example) like www.bt3central.com and the forum software will automatically identify and make it a link as you can see by my example of this website.

The other way to make a link actually links a web address to a word or phrase, for instance referring to our favorite website as an example. In this case you highlight the word or phrase and then click on the link icon, the small globe with the chain link (e.g. a link) and then enter the URL address int he popup box.

The first way is the easiest.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Two Much
            Established Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Long Island, NY
            • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Thanks Radhak, The Living Room is southern exposure. This is just a regular big window. (He did install two sets of French Doors though and a large box window, as I love lots of windows.)
            But, I want to add, that first Cliff sided the house, then Put in the French Doors and box window in the den, and the two stained glass windows...Backasswards, we invented the word!

For the photos of the coffee table I had to put the shades down and still it was too bright for the photo. (no flash was used) We have seven huge oak trees in the front, but without the leaves in winter, -- the sun streams in like crazy in the winter.

Do you mean the restored chess table? He replaced four of the squares with walnut and maple.

If you mean the chess board on the coffee table, he used walnut, maple and QS white oak.

More photos here of our
            woodworking, upholstering, and glass projects and DIYconstruction projects... We do it all together and very much enjoy creating things.
            I provided the links to our projects. The only thing we ever used a pattern for was the Grandfather clock, ever since then we've been winging it.

http://backyardpond.homestead.com/untitled6.html

http://backyardpond.homestead.com/Bonsai.html

Comment

• Two Much
              Established Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Long Island, NY
              • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

Thanks LeChien, I did it... hope it works (I didn't check it yet)
              Joann

Comment

• drillman88
                • Dec 2007
                • Southeast
                • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

Those turned out great and really fit you decor well.
                I know they have more meaning than just a piece of furniture which makes the work a little easier to do.It does to me anyway.
                I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Those pieces turned out great. I'm an avid chess player, and like all kinds of boards. Your rehab came out nicely. Checked out your links, and that roll top desk is beautiful. Red Oak is one of my favorites, and the kitchen is a knockout. Your place looks like an antiques showroom. Do you do the stained glass too?

Comment

• Two Much
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Long Island, NY
                    • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

thanks Cabinetman.
                    We did not make the roll top deck, Just the secretary cabinets above it. (we just did that last year) The secretary cabinets are QS white oak, as well as the TV cabinet, and the dvd cabinet and the end tables and brunch tables. Actually the tv wall unit is a combo of red oak and QS white oak. Yes, we taught ourselves stained glass in 1995 and learned how to upholster many years prior to that.
                    The kitchen and bathroom I tried for an arts and crafts look. The family room is a mix of arts and crafts and British colonial. I love masculine type furniture, so the antique pieces fit in with the British Colonial look I like. Since we have an open plan house, where the LR, DR, and family room flow together it was a challenge to blend the styles.

The kitchen was our biggest undertaking so far. We designed it as we went along. I am most proud of the pig pantry, the cabinet underneath the pig pantry that housed pot and pans and the freezer. The little tv cabinet is a favorite of mine as well. While others sleep,
                    I dream up projects. It's fun, but often feel like we live in utter chaos.
                    Joann

Comment

• Two Much
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Long Island, NY
                      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

BTW Cabinet man, Cliff is an avid chess player, as well as our two sons.
                      He taught them chess very early on. When they were in second grade, they were playing on the H.S. chess team. They still play all the time, on line too.
                      He has also taught our grandsons
                      and they are all chess playing nuts. Our 12 and 15 Grandson can actually
                      beat Cliff from time to time.
                      It's wonderful for young kids to learn to play chess well. He started out teaching all the kids by not using his queen, then when they were halfway through the game, he would turn the board around to give them the advantage. Just recently our 12 year old grandson said, "Grandpa when I was little, you use to let me win, right?"
                      Soon, they'll be turning the board around for Grandpa!
                      He is currently teaching our 3 year old Grandson, how the pieces move.

That was the reason I wanted to move the chess board to the living room.
                      This way they could play in peace and quiet.
                      Cliff wants to make three more chess boards for each of our children.

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

That's real eye candy. Nice work. It looks like "curbside shopping" worked out very well.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Excellently done....

Comment

• DUD
                            Royal Jester
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Very Very Nice. Bill
                            5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• tribalwind
                              • Feb 2004
                              • long island, ny.

Wow great stuff, thank you for sharing

Hey! another Long islander how bout that.
                              I'm in Baldwin,not far from you guys.

are you in the LI WW's club?
                              i havent made a meeting in over a year but did to the annual show at the lodge,
                              namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

Working...