• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

I believe if you are making it for yourself, there would be no problem. Making it for the purpose of selling is another story!

BTW - I have a pair of the Grippers and they get used all the time. These wooden ones are nicely done.
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Hehe, we've done the patent discussion before. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=52147
      Erik

Comment

• nicer20
        Established Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Dublin, CA
        • BT3100

Originally posted by Turaj
        I believe if you are making it for yourself, there would be no problem. Making it for the purpose of selling is another story!

BTW - I have a pair of the Grippers and they get used all the time. These wooden ones are nicely done.
        Thanks Turaj, Good to know you use them all the time and they do work as projected.

I have used the saw sparingly since buying it with a couple of scary moments (one kickback while ripping a strip for edging that left a bruise in my palm).

When I saw these Grrrippers I was not sure if they are as good as they sound or is it just a sales pitch like those As Seen On TV things. But looks like they are really useful.

I am now planning to build a built in office desk with some filing cabinets. Its a big leap for me and not sure if I am biting more than I can chew. So I think I need some serious devices to make my project safer.

- NG

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Don't know if you will get an answer as the OP hasn't posted here in several months...
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Don't know if you will get an answer as the OP hasn't posted here in several months...
            While he may not have posted, the last time he was on (logged on, not just viewing anonymously), was Jan. 31 of this year.
            I sent him a personal email, through the link on his profile (anyone can do if the member allows it), to see if he has time to come back and respond.

As for patents, that is 20 years, but generally copying for personal use is considered acceptable, but you can't sell plans or the completed items.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• GPA61
              • Sep 2004
              • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
              • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Originally posted by chopnhack

You are right, I haven't posted in a while but I'm still here.

Nicer 20

The grr-rippers, I do use them but not as much as I thought I would. They get used mostly when I have to make narrow rips.

Haven't heard from the grr-ripper guys . I assume you can copy them if you want.
              Claudio

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Usefulness is alright but there's a certain rush in proving you can build something as nice as, and works as well as, the professional products. Having to improvise and copy making the transition from plastic (or metal) to wood and using the T-slots for the adjustability, as GPA61 did, is a learning experience.

I think they look great.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Very nice job. They look great and functional
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• nicer20
                    Established Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Dublin, CA
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by Turaj

Originally posted by GPA61
                    You are right, I haven't posted in a while but I'm still here.

Nicer 20

The grr-rippers, I do use them but not as much as I thought I would. They get used mostly when I have to make narrow rips.

Haven't heard from the grr-ripper guys . I assume you can copy them if you want.
                    Great to hear back from you and also thanks everyone who have replied and helped.

This group is very supportive of amateurs like me and thank you everyone for ongoing support.

NG

PS - Yes, as pointed out I have no intention of making and selling them. Even if I get to finish making my own that will itself be an achievement

Comment

Working...