• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

A Few Christmas Presents

As I announced in a different topic I've spent some time in the shop making stuff to give away this year. All of these are from off cuts. The first pic is my Patrol Totem from Wood Badge (WB). Between the two sessions of WB I made one of these and gave it to our Troop Guide on the final day. I made another earlier this fall for one of my Patrol mates. At the time that I gave it to her I told her that I was also making one for each of our other Patrol members.

Wood Badge for those of you whom do not know is Advanced Adult Leader Training for the Boy Scouts. Scouting organizations all over the world use Wood Badge although I'm sure there are vast differences in the subject matter from country to country. WB breaks the participants into groups of Patrol size to do most things, just like a Scout Troop. Besides the leadership learning it is just plain fun. One of the best parts is the ability to meet new friends and build ones Scouting network. There is little that is better than camping for 6 days with folks while working to surpass obstacles to foster teamwork and networking. It's fair to say that my Patrol mates will be my friends for life!

My local lumber store collects presents for Toys for Tots each December. This year I decided to make some toys to donate. Back in junior high I built a wooden duck puppet. I thought this would be a good thing to build. Hopefully whatever needy boy or girl will enjoy their present. I made two from red oak scraps to give away and one from maple for Thomas. I had to search online for a pattern but that was rather quick. While searching I also found a few other ideas of what to also build for my own young son. Thomas will also be getting a rubber band powered paddle boat for the bath tub. No pics of the boat yet but here is two of the ducks.

Thats all for now.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

They look great Mark, I didn't know You carved. Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

If you could call it that! I used a small 90° veiner chisel to cut the initials into most pieces. One I actually tried to use a round burr in my dremel, only once. The dremel just did not look as good.

©

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

Very cool! Some kid is going to love those duck puppets!
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Great work... and commendation on a noble cause for the Toys for Tots...

Comment

• tlt
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Tucson, Arizona.
            • Delta 36-682

love those puppets! i'd love to find the plans...if you still have it, can you post the link (or PM me) wherever you found them?

Edit: whoops -- replied too fast: looks like the plans are here: http://www.freepuppetplans.com/pattern.htm
            Last edited by tlt; 12-22-2008, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I remember doing that same project in Jr. High Wood Shop!

Cut them out on the band saw, sand on the spindle sander, relieve the edges with a rasp and a hand sanding block, drill the holes for the cord, epoxy it in place....

good times, good times...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by tlt
                love those puppets! i'd love to find the plans...if you still have it, can you post the link (or PM me) wherever you found them?

Edit: whoops -- replied too fast: looks like the plans are here: http://www.freepuppetplans.com/pattern.htm

yup those are the same plans I used. Funny thing is I made templates from 1/2" baltic birch but I only made one foot. I first considered using a flush trim bit in the router table until I realized that the parts don't have to be perfect.

©

Comment

• tlt
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Tucson, Arizona.
                  • Delta 36-682

I was looking at the plans, and had a question about the fishing line placement. It looks like there is one line at the front through the head, one at the back for the body, and one on each side for the feet -- is that correct?

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by tlt
                    I was looking at the plans, and had a question about the fishing line placement. It looks like there is one line at the front through the head, one at the back for the body, and one on each side for the feet -- is that correct?
                    Yup one to head, one to body (right behind where head rope attaches), and the feet you just tie the fishing line to the rope where it is glued.

©

Comment

• tlt
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Tucson, Arizona.
                      • Delta 36-682

great -- that clears it up. looks like there'll be ducks a dancin' this Christmas...

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

When I get back to the States . . . I will start making presents and gifts like that again. I sure miss doing that! All of my grandkids are back there. I used to make them for younger cousins and nieces and nephews many years ago.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...