• Show
Clear All
  • gordons
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Green Egg Table

Nothing exceptional, but needed a table for the Egg. Still deciding on whether and where to put wheels. For now, I have rubber feet located under the legs to allow for water flow. Also want to make a drawer for tools and a holder for propane fire starter burner. The top is a loose fit so that I can have the Egg on either side if I choose to relocate.

Since I have neither a jointer, nor a planer and I didn't want to get into the expense of cypress or something similar, I went to Lowe's and sifted through a maze No2 2x4's until I found a few reasonable pieces - same for 1x4's.

Finished with Minwax Pre Stain Wood Conditioner and Putritan Pine stain. Followed by three coats of semi-gloss Helmsman Spar Urethane.

Gordon
    I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

That is very nice work. Looking at the finished pic I wouldn't think it was 2x4s. When I saw the thread title I thought it was a green table shaped like an egg.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Good work! Not sure if he's a member here, but Plowboy (Plowboy's BBQ) has been one one of the WW forums showing off his green egg table a while back... He put the wheels on the end with the egg.

I need to build a prep surface / BBQ tool cart to accompany my Bandera soon...

Hadn't thought of using planed / jointed 2x4s... Nice idea. Keeps it cheap that way...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

That's a great looking table.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I was thinking Green Eggs and Ham. This is a lot tastier.

I wouldn't have thought that was 2x4s either. The finish came out great.

Paul

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Looks good. I think Loring made something like that before.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

Amazing what can be done with construction grade lumber. I have seen a few Canadian woodworkers make some beautiful furniture from 2 by stock.

Gordon, did you do anything extra to glue up the table top? Did you let the wood dry for some time before working with it?

Great job. That's a fine bit of deck furniture.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

Great job Gordon. I'll bet if you took a picture of that back to the store where you got your egg, you'd get all the work you could handle making tables for others.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

That really is making me want one again! When I first moved to Japan, it was easy to find those, except they were orange here. I bought one and it was super until our first move, about 5 years later. It was broken in the move and I didn't sweat it as I thought I could get another cheaply. But I couldn't find any in that size anymore. I checked with manufacturers of ceramic hibachis to no avail.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Plenty of prep area and the finish should hold up great. Nice work.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• gordons
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I didn't think of it at the time that I did the original write-up, but now I am reading Richard's question about the top.

Since I don't have a jointer and the 1x4 and 1x6 lumber wasn't good enough to make a up a top with say biscuits and glue, I was forced to look (and buy) a pre-built top that is 2'x4'. Found it in the lumber section at Lowe's. I had to scratch through a bunch until I found one that was reasonable. I don't mind knots, but when they fall out and become holes.....

Anyhow, I sanded everything down and routed the edge on the top after experimenting on some scrap as to the size and shape that I wanted. Measured and cut the hole with a jigsaw and cleaned up the edge with the router. The stain was one application with a 15 minute dry time before wiping. I tried 5 and 10 as well as two coats and found that this one worked the best for me. Sanded lightly with 180 grit and cleaned off between each coat of Helmsman. Screwed together with 2 1/2" decking screws (the new ones that have the Torx drive/socket). The color blends well with the finish too. No glue is used anywhere so that I can disassemble or replace any parts as needed.

By the way, it's not a new Egg - about 15 years young and still going strong. It's the medium size one. I now use this burner to light the charcoal - fired up and cooking in about 10 - 15 minutes: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91899 - works great.
                      Gordon
                      I'd rather be a hammer than a nail

Comment

• GPA61
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Rancho Cucamonga, CA
                        • BT 3100 & JET JWTS

Very nice.
                        Claudio

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Jussi's right - I posted one I made for my Sister and BIL a few months ago.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ight=green+egg
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cobob
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Rolla, MO, USA.
                            • BT3100

For no planer or joiner, you did a great job dressing the 2bys...actually, how did you do that?

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Very nice.. functional and eye pleasing. And now I know what a "green egg' is in case I run into that term again. I suppose I don't get out much.

Comment

Working...