A little something headed to the Robert Frost Farm...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

A little something headed to the Robert Frost Farm...

A nice little fountain pen I whipped up for an upcoming auction to benefit the Foundation... Was looking to produce something understated, but elegant. What do y'all think of my solution? ('Scuse the crappy photography.. not my best subject... )
    Attached Files
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Beautiful work. Is that a case, or a plaque? And how did you do the inscription?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

It is a WC maple case... My local WC just bought a $30K laser, and does the inscriptions for $8.99 (often, while I wait, no less!) plus the cost of the case. I just compose and size the inscription right in MSWord, and they pop it in and go... It really does add a lot to those special pieces for not a lot of money.

Comment

• bthere
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Alpharetta, GA

That is too cool. Let us know how well the auction went.

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Very cool

I think it provides the kind of dignity and grace appropriate for such an event!
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

so what's the story behind the wood and the inscription - is the pen wood from a special maple tree?
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              so what's the story behind the wood and the inscription - is the pen wood from a special maple tree?
              Yes, it's from a huge sugar maple next to the farmhouse where Frost lived from 1900-1911, when he wrote "Tree at My Window". It had become diseased, and since the place is open to the public, they had to take it down last year, so it didn't fall on somebody... Had a big ceremony and took 'er down, one year ago today, in fact.

In his later years, Frost tried to buy the farm back, because his wife wanted to be buried there, but they both died before it could be done. After Frost died, a foundation was formed, and they did eventually get the farm back, and now it's a museum and historic site, under the auspices of the National Parks system.

They have made small pieces of the tree available to raise funds for upkeep of the property, in the form of trinkets or turning pieces for craftsman. They have a co-op program where they will send you some wood and COA's in exchange for a piece of your work that they can auction. Seemed like a fair offer to me, as I have become interested in historic woods.

Here is a link if you want more info...
              Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 09-29-2008, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

I think you certainly met your goal! I hope this brings a large sum.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

That is a piece of history I would love to own. I love Robert Frost's work.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...