• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejs1097
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Viking Chest

I made this replica Viking Chest (circa 800 AD) for my Swedish mother. She saw it at a festival last summer....Looks easy enough, I thought. The $400.00 price tag for a box I thought was a little steep. I took a few pictures, did a little research.

My basement was taking on water after we purchased our house 8 years ago and I ripped out a wall and kept the paneling. Solid pine painted an ugly green with a wide routed detail. This was the perfect project for that 70 year old pine. It had nail holes galore, and seems like a dart board was in the room for a while as well (I made that the top). It seemed fitting not to try to cover up the blemishes and work around the knots, as I left the a half missing knot front and center on the lid.

The first picture is what the paneling looked like before I did any work to it.

I then stripped the paint enough to run through the planner to clean it up, but I was having planner troubles if you recall. So I decided to build the chest as is and see what it looked like. I was going for the "really old Viking chest dug out of the ground 1200 years later" look.

I liked it, but gave her 2 story boards of different finishes with and w/o paint. She liked the w/o paint.

I found a black smith in Minn. that worked on a 800AD chest found in Sweden called the Mastermyr Chest. He was on an international team of woodworkers and blacksmiths to study and replicate the tools, hardware, etc in the chest. He hand forged these authentic period hinges and hook/eye to finish off the chest.

Simple little box not so. I found this to be very challenging. The angles of the sides and jointery meant that everything had to align perfectly or it wouldn't turn out. Practically every tool I used was tipped or tilted. Lining up the through mortises on the angles sides was not piece of cake either.

After denting the edges with vice grips, rounding down the lid corners and lots and lots of sanding, 4 coats of Arm-R-Seal, this is the finished product.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ejs1097; 03-20-2008, 10:09 PM.
    Eric
    Be Kind Online
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Neat project. so you built it and then planed or sanded later?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Cool looking chest. She was right on the clean finish!

My Dad and I paneled an 18 x 18 den with knotty Pine lilke that 45 years ago when I was 14. Would love to salvage it now!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• mater
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • SC, USA.

That looks good. It turned out great and I love the look of it.
        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

beautiful piece of art! i like the natural look too.

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice. I love reclaiming old wood and giving it a new life!
            John Hunter

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Nice piece as I love knotty pine... 35 years ago I wasn't really aware that furniture was buillt from anything but that as my first projects were.

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Wow! I love it, well done, you should be proud of this one! Very authentic looking too. And nothing better than reclaiming lumber.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• wareagle
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2006

Outstanding piece of work. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• cobob
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Rolla, MO, USA.
                    • BT3100

Is the bottom of the chest at the thru mortice? & why wouldn't they put the bottom at the bottom of the chest?

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

Very interesting project and it turned out nice too.
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher
                      http://splash54.multiply.com
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• ejs1097
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Originally posted by cobob
                        Is the bottom of the chest at the thru mortice? & why wouldn't they put the bottom at the bottom of the chest?
                        Thanks for all the great comments guys.

LCHIEN: I sanded the entire box down after it was assembled. Not what I desired but that's how it happened.

Yes the bottom of the chest is at the thru mortise. The bottom is floating in a pair of grooves on the front/back panel about 1 1/2" above the bottom of the front/back. I did not attempt to put angled dadoes in the sides so they are butt jointed (except the through mortise).

The through mortise really adds a ton of strength to the entire construction of the box preventing any movement or additional stress on the joints. You wouldn't think that the side jointery is that strong but it really is. The angles sides work like dovetails as it puts pressure in certain places preventing movement.

Did the vikings do it like this or put the bottom on the bottom? I don't really know to be honest. This type of box was used on Viking Ships and stored gear, clothes, etc and is what they sat on to row their boats (gently across the sea...anyway) They would want these water tight and would use wax, animal fat, etc to do that. But I'm not sure if they were making grooves/dadoes at the time. The chest I saw at the festival was in a groove and I copied it since it was simple and strong.

btw, I was curious why the sides are angled like that. They were made to follow the contour of the boat. The gunnels were angled and this allowed the chest to be pushed directly up against the sides of the boat making more deck space and allowing the vikings to sit closer to the sides.
                        Eric
                        Be Kind Online

Comment

Working...