• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jziegler
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Salem, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

For some reason, I thought that 4" was required for a toilet? If it's 3", than it might be possible to get one down. One location that we were considering we were going to cut into a closet. We are now looking mostly at a different location because of financial reasons (banks are making it very hard to get equity by seriously under appraising around here). The new location will let us stage to work better so we can do a smaller amount now but still have a useable space, but moves the bathroom to somewhere that there are no closets to run the drain through. I don't like the idea of a chase, especially in an old house with plaster walls, and crown molding. Getting a chase to look good in that corner of the living room would be difficult at best. That said, I will keep the option in mind when I start talking to contractors (this will be a part contractor part DIY job. I'll do all finish work).

Jim

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Uhg. Plaster? If it were drywall I would just say open the wall, install the new stack for the toilet then repair the wall. Drywall repair isn't that big a deal and it would save tons of time but with plaster that is gonna be tough. Good luck.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

Plaster, and lots of it in the house. The house was built in 1911, a little while before drywall as far as I know. And the plaster is in good condition, so as much as possible I'd like to get stuff down through the walls without disturbing it (although I do know of a good plasterest to call if anything needs to be repaired, but would like to avoid that at the price I was given by a friend). Which has a lot to do with the original thought of the macerating toilet, since a 1" line should be able to go down through the walls without opening them.

If we go through with the bathroom in this location, I'll get a thread going, it should be interesting. Let's see, tearing out a closet, getting plumbing down through wall, probably installing a skylight or two, all sorts of fun stuff, and trying not to disturb anything in the living room below.

Maybe I should mention that the house is baloon framing, so getting small pipes and wires through the exterior walls should be easy, but then freezeing of pipes can be a problem...

Thanks for the advice and good luck wish.

Jim

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

Toilet drain

In one house I had, I installed an upstairs toilet. The stool was mounted by an outside wall, and what I did was run the drain pipe outside the house and box it in. It was in a corner by where the back porch joined the house and didn't look odd at all. It was very near the main line so I just buried it and joined it to the line outside.

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...