• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Basement Bath Pics

Here Ya Go. Sink and toilet are in and working. Have a bit more caulking to do and I am not happy with the trim around the linen cabinet so will redo that, but otherwise it is finished. Pics of the cabinet when the trim is done and the doors are on. Am I being anal if I caulk around the PVC joints to hide the purple primer? I made sure all the lettering on the sched. 40 is towards the wall and the piping actually looks ok exposed.

The tile floor:

The sink:

The toilet:
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • SARGE..g-47

Looks good, David. I really like the sink and stand you chose. I don't believe I have seen one standing on a pedestal. Then again, I don't get out much I suppose.

Nice work...

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

Nice work indeed . . . .

What kind of waste water system is that?

Regards, Steve

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I assume you mean the toilet. It is a Saniflow Sanicompact macerating toilet. I originally wanted something bigger but seeing it in there I don't think anything bigger really would fit.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Anna
          • Feb 2006
          • CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
          ...It is a Saniflow Sanicompact macerating toilet....
          That sounds serious.

Nice job. Are you going to "hide" the plumbing? And I love the tiling and the grout color choice. I hope my project will look that good.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

My wife is mostly responsible for the colors. I am just the contractor. I did pick the grout color though, so thank you.

Plumbing won't be hidden. I spent about a week trying to figure out a way but it really couldn't be for serviceability due to the space I had. I did make sure all the lettering was facing the wall and that the pipe was clean. In the words of my wife, the plumbing looks "nice".

In case you wanna know, macerating toilets. With some animation on how it works.

http://www.saniflo.com/macerator.asp
            David

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

David, looks good. You've given me some ideas for a utility room in our
              basement laundry room.

It looks like you have the waste from the sink plumbed to your toilet. Is
              there a minimum volume of water that triggers the macerator to turn on?
              Other than the toilet and the sink, how many other drains can you *legally*
              hook into the toilet? Did you buy the toilet from your local plumbing supplier?

Thanks, Paul

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Paul,

A minimum amount of water from the sink will trigger the pump to turn on. A toilet this size you can't hook up anything else. Saniflow (and other companies) do make bigger units that handle more drains such as showers or laundry sinks. I am not sure it is a question of 'legal' so much as what the pump is designed to support. However, those larger units were more expensive, overkill for my requirements and have to be vented. I could handle the venting it just would have been much more complicated to install. Also as it turns out this was the largest that physically fit in the space.

I got mine online though you can get it from a supplier. The price difference was enough to take the risk.

If you get around to installing one, PM me with questions.
                David

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

Looks good.
                  John Hunter

Comment

• Hoover
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • USA.

You are not being anal wanting to cover the purple on the joints. It would look better if you would. Of course, that is only my impression.
                    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Looking good there, David! Never tried, but would it be possible to sand out all or most of the exposed primer? I wouldn't think it would hurt the strength of the pipe since these are essentially drain lines.

FWIW to others, if you don't have to deal with inspectors, my neighbor (a contractor) says there is a clear primer. Other than insuring full coverage, the purple dye is also the inspector can see that primer was used.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • BT-3000, 21829

Not to be too anal, but the slope of the sink waste drain is pretty steep. You usually don't want the slope to be more than 1/4" per foot. Otherwise, the water will run down too fast, leaving the "chunks" (hair , soap crud, etc.) behind. The usual practice is to have a slight slope laterally and then make it steep for a short distance near the stack.

I worked for my dad weekends and summers as a lad, and he drilled this stuff into my head.

The bathroom looks great. The macerating toilet is interesting. Did you have any issues with code?
                        You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                        of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

I know it is a little steep but it is what I had to work with. The tailpipe on the sink was kinda short. I f igure if it becomes a problem I can take the slip joints apart and redo it.
                          David

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Minneapolis, MN
                            • BT-3000, 21829

I know it is a little steep but it is what I had to work with. The tailpipe on the sink was kinda short. I f igure if it becomes a problem I can take the slip joints apart and redo it.
                            You're right! Rule #22 - You have to work with what you got.

More advice from my late dad-

You only have to know three things to be a plumber.

1. Sh-t rolls downhill.

2. The boss is an a-hole.

3. Payday's on Friday.
                            You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                            of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• rcp612
                              Established Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                              • Bosch 4100-09

I originally wanted something bigger but seeing it in there I don't think anything bigger really would fit.
                              Why were you thinking you needed bigger ?
                              Really though, looks great, nice work.
                              Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

Working...